Projector Insurance

I have just purchased a new projector and have had it installed by an electrical company that does home theater fit outs.

3 weeks later it has fallen off the roof and broken.

Can i claim this on insurance?

I tried arguing with the installer and he said its not his fault 

Course it's their fault,  obviously improperly mounted - might struggle with your insurance company although you could possibly claim through them and they can hit the installer(s) themselves. 

Ouch, that's rotten luck, was it screwed into the wood studs in roof?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, evil c said:

Course it's their fault,  obviously improperly mounted - might struggle with your insurance company although you could possibly claim through them and they can hit the installer(s) themselves. 

Ouch, that's rotten luck, was it screwed into the wood studs in roof?

Looking at it now, It's not in the timber just a flat piece of pine.

i doubt your insurance company will cover it under your contents cover, why should they as it is caused by faulty workmanship. not normally listed on insurance.

just sue the company thru small claims court. contact your states consumer affairs for the process. its not expensive, you can ask for court costs and you and the installer only can go to court so just you 2 and judge. quite simple really.

• Like 2

Depends entirely on your level of cover - if you have accidental loss/damage cover which is not otherwise excluded - a regular extension offered by most Underwriters these days. Doesn't always come in the form of an extension , it can be simply included. If Underwriters indemnify you for any loss which is caused by someone else who is not an insured party in your policy they automatically pick up your subrogation (legal) rights to recover against that party - whether they proceed or not is entirely up to them.

Read your policy and speak to your Underwriter.

The installers are entirely responsible - who else could be.

Edited by Smp
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

On 05/03/2021 at 6:01 PM, drummerboy01 said:

Comment removed as i just realized this thread is old and issue would prob be sorted.

Then again Al, knowing some insurance companies it might be ongoing haha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2021 at 4:09 PM, thechrisguy said:

Just to update, Insurance did cover it for close to new minus the excess. Happy with the outcome with the insurance but obviously not the installer.

Out of curiousity, did you have an accidental damage coverage on your insurance? 

Also, has your premium gone up? and if so, by how much if you don't mind me asking?

• 1 month later...

It is the installers fault, tell them you are taking legal action. If a builder builds a wall and it falls down it is their fault. If a roofer puts a new roof on and it leaks it is their fault, if you ask a company to mount a projector to the ceiling and if falls down IT IS THEIR FAULT FULL STOP.  

Spend 100 bucks and get a solicitor to draft a letter to the installer and your problems will be over.

Chris

OP is precluded from taking legal action against installer - he cannot be indemnified twice (make a profit). The Underwriter who paid his claim picks up his subrogation rights to recover against the installer. The Underwriter may or may not wish to proceed depending on what they feel their chances are. When they recover against the installer they should not consider a premium increase as there has effectively been no claim. 

OP is entitled to recover his excess from the installer ...............

Edited by Smp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Smp said:

OP is precluded from taking legal action against installer - he cannot be indemnified twice (make a profit). The Underwriter who paid his claim picks up his subrogation rights to recover against the installer. The Underwriter may or may not wish to proceed depending on what they feel their chances are. When they recover against the installer they should not consider a premium increase as there has effectively been no claim. 

OP is entitled to recover his excess from the installer ...............

He can if he cant claim on his insurance, the installer will have insurance for such things. I use to own a pest control company in the UK. If my actions resulted in damage (like OP) I was liable. I had a battle as 3 months after a flea spray someone tried to say what I had sprayed had stained their carpet (impossible). They were just trying to get money but I too leagal advice and it was me that had to worry. I had to prove that my product could not do this. I contacted the company and they provided proof that this could not happen, then i had to prove that nothing we did could do anything. I went to the home were we did the job and asked to see the problem and they would not show me, it was then I realised I was being scammed and it all stopped. Point is the law in not on the side of the company.

Chris

11 minutes ago, Smp said:

Cafe Latte - of course he can - not disagreeing with you, but OP’s insurer did pay his claim - see his post of March 17, it appears you missed it. 👍

Missed that, but any costs for their job he should be able to get back, also he has now had to claim so policy will cost more not fair as installer stuffed up.

Chris

Chris see my post - as insurer should recover against installer what they paid to the OP in settlement of his claim - this should show as a recovery against his claim and insurer should not penalise him with an increased premium as they have their money back. See my earlier post.😀

Edited by Smp