Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, 

Looking to know which is best for 5 channel power amplifier used for HT (70%) and casual stereo listening (30%) based on the below spec.

Its for a power hungry speakers which needs high power amplifier to get best out of it.  Both are very reliable brand.

Thanks in advance

Not disclosing the brand name to avoid bias.

Brand E:
Filter Capacitance : 40,000uF
Damping factor : >5000
Toroidal power transformer : 2.2kw
THD :    <0.001% 20-20Khz
S/N Ratio : 130 dB
Frequency Response : 3Hz - 250KHz @ 8

180w/Channel @8ohm all channel driven

Brand R:
Filter Capacitance : 12,0000uf
Damping factor: >260
Toroidal power transformer : 1.2Kw
THD : < 0.03% 20-20Khz
S/N Ratio : 116db
Frequency Response : 10Hz - 100kHz @ 8

200w/channel @8ohm all channel driven

Edited by SBM
Update

Brand A looks like a better bet from the info provided.

If power output is a critical factor, why isn't that shown?

1 minute ago, pwstereo said:

Brand A looks like a better bet from the info provided.

If power output is a critical factor, why isn't that shown?

Done. Thanks

Posted (edited)

If you can believe the specs, Brand A is preferable, but just like power output, there's lies, damned lies and then "specifications".

Notwithstanding that, Brand A's specs sound a lot like an Elektra HD2 - I've got one and like my other two Elektras, it's outstanding.

Edited by Quark

I'd still go Brand A, that power supply transformer rating makes it seem more likely that it can actually deliver something like the rated output. I've learnt on these forums that AVR receivers are prone to exagerrated output power claims.

My "Brand D" AVR has been very satisfactory and lives up to the output power claims in independant testing 🙂

7 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

I'd still go Brand A, that power supply transformer rating makes it seem more likely that it can actually deliver something like the rated output. I've learnt on these forums that AVR receivers are prone to exagerrated output power claims.

My "Brand D" AVR has been very satisfactory and lives up to the output power claims in independant testing 🙂

Thanks 

yep brand A....

i also say buying on specs is fraught with issues...

how companies mention specs and how measure specs is quite different especially with power output claims.

things like power supplies though are a dead give away of real power reserves... 

also how sounds for you to your liking match to speakers also something to consider... only know from demoing 

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you can believe the specs, Brand A is preferable, but just like power output, there's lies, damned lies and then "specifications".

Notwithstanding that, Brand A's specs sound a lot like an Elektra HD2 - I've got one and like my other two Elektra's, it's outstanding.

:)

6 hours ago, SBM said:

Brand E:

Damping factor : >5000
THD :    <0.001% 20-20Khz

180w/Channel @8ohm all channel driven

Brand R:
Damping factor: >260
THD : < 0.03% 20-20Khz
200w/channel @8ohm all channel driven

Read the specs with care. Brand E has an unusually large damping factor. Many manufacturers do not quote at what power they measure THD  and at which THD the watts per channel are quoted. Having seen many amp specs before, I am inclined to think that Brand R's specs are more typical than Brand E's.

On 16/04/2020 at 5:46 PM, spottie said:

Read the specs with care. Brand E has an unusually large damping factor. Many manufacturers do not quote at what power they measure THD  and at which THD the watts per channel are quoted. Having seen many amp specs before, I am inclined to think that Brand R's specs are more typical than Brand E's.

R - Rotel

E- Elektra

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rawshack
      Price: $300 Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup is available,I can ship this item Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal, Cash on Delivery Reason for selling: Not needed anymore Further information: 

Bought this a few months ago and I love it, but I've had a recent upgrade and I'm moving house, so need to clear out all my gear

This is a lovely amp that plays beautifully. Not much more I can say.

Pick up in melbourne but can arrange postage. Thanks.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.
    • By mpearce38
      Price: $2950 Item Condition: Excellent- No marks fully operational Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Keysborough State: Victoria Payment Method: EFT, PAYPAL, PAYID Reason for selling: No Longer Required Further information: 

To all the Naim Fanboys out there I get it 🙂  There is an attention to detail and feel of quality in this amp which is special. Everything is designed purposefully with all knobs  feeling silky smooth, connectors are all hand wired and it weighs a ton!!.  The sound floor is amazingly low with music coming from a jet black canvas right up there with the Bryston B135. It has an amazing ability to reveal subtle details  like the tapping of Birdy's  piano pedals or the muted breathing of Michael McDonald.  You hear things in records you didn't know existed.  But it also has a remarkable ability to not sound analytical despite the detail retrieval something the Devialet 120 could not.  Bass is strong and tight, mid range smooth and non fatiguing.  it has a wonderful sense of rhythm and pace.  It bettered my Roksan Caspian M2 which is a master in this regard. There is plenty of current on tap too,  it had no trouble driving my PMCs 23s to party levels and would be a great match for hard to drive speakers like Dynaudios.  It matches the moon 340ix for control despite the moon being rated significantly higher. 

Unit is is excellent condition with original box and remote it was one of the later models produced in the series, I purchased it of a fellow SNA'r to demo in my system as I'm cycling through a few integrates at the moment. I replaced it with a moon 340IX and it was a toss up which one I kept but I've decided to keep the moon only because it has the built in DAC but for SQ I actually really like the Naim sound and can see why they have a cult following.

I've priced this very competitively so price is firm as any lower then this and I will sell the Moon instead.

Any questions just ask happy to post at buyers or pick-up also available  

• By Aaban
      Item: Rotel RB-1552
      Price: $1000
      Item Condition: 9.5/10
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:

Up for sale, been sitting in my warehouse for almost a year, forgot that I had it.
      Massive 120 watts per channel. XLR and RCA inputs.
      Micro scratch in front panel thanks to my wife's cleaning techniques, only cosmetic. You can see in the second picture.

More info at http://rotel.com/product/rb-1552-mkii

Selling because I got a more powerful Amp long ago. Price includes freight to anywhere in Australia, can negotiate if picked up from my store at Malaga, WA. I've got boxes, packaging, cables and user's manual in perfect confitions.

• By tommy100
      Item: Aragon 8008 Mk2 
      Price: $1,600
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Want funds to purchase a turntable
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Only
      Extra Info: This is the version of the 8008 was made after the ST and BB when Klipsch owner the company, manufactured circa 2003. From what I read the design didn’t change much from the BB model to the most current version, as it was already very good. This amp has plenty of power (200w/8ohms), with the first 26 watts in class A. Has a lot of strengths ie excellent imaging, strong defined bass, and detailed with full bodied sound. The amp is in good condition, and I can’t find a fault the sound/operation.  Internals are still very clean, see attached photos. Comes with original box and manual. 

More info on the link below. 
      http://www.aragonav.com/8008-mkii-klipsch

Photos:

• By emulator
      Item: Plessis Audio S1 Stereo Integrated Amplifier Amplifier
      Price: $600
      Item Condition: Very Good
      Reason for selling: No longer needed / upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 

Plessis Audio S1 integrated amp in excellent condition. Bought new from Len Wallis Audio in 2017.

The S1 came about as a joint effort between Charl Du Plessis and his manufacturing partner in China. The design brief was to come up with an amplifier that delivered great sound quality at a really good price. I recommend this amp as an introduction to audiophile grade hi-fi and in my own blind listening tests easily goes toe to toe with amps well over twice its RRP.

Weighing in at 10kg, the result is a fantastic sounding no frills amp that delivers 80 watts RMS into 8 ohms and 130 watts into a 4 ohm load. The only controls are a wonderfully smooth motorised volume control, input selection (from front panel only), mute. A minimalist remote and bonus headphone out. Lovely sounding and was enjoyed in my system, has a slightly warm tone, excellent drive and presents a nice amount of detail.

Physically, there's a few light scratches and a slight bit of discolouration on the top of the case where the significant other placed something that stuck to the case, and she used some solvent to remove the residue. 

More info here: 
      http://www.homeentertainment.com.au/plessis.html
      https://lenwallisaudio.com/products/hifi/amplifiers/s1-integrated-amplifier/