charlie_bird

Subscribed to Tidal - Now What??

I like to preface this by saying I'm a vinyl music guy with a dedicated vinyl rig and all this digital stuff is a bit confusing for me.. I've read through this forum and it spins me out..

I saw in the great deals forum you could get a $5 Tidal trial so I thought I'd give it a go and signed up for the HiFi option. So far I can play Tidal on

1) my Yamaha RXV-1077 AVR via Airplay - this works on the AVR Zone 1 (TV room) & Zone 2 (Kitchen)

2) my Yamaha RXV-1077 AVR via Chromecast connected to HDMI this works on the AVR Zone 1 (TV room)

That's it so far. I will mostly listen to the back ground music in the kitchen but i'm limited to using Airplay, not sure if that a problem? Am i getting the correct sound quality using Airplay to stream Tidal the the AVR?

I also have a Oppo BD103 and a Beyonwiz PVR connected to the AVR, but I reckon those will have the same limitation as point 2 above.  So I think I have exhausted  my possibilities wrt to the AVR.

Part 2

1) I've got a CD player connected to my Vinyl system and it has coax and optical inputs. How do I connect a Windows PC or iPhone to that? 

2) I've also got a two channel system in my workshop. My laptop is almost always on in there. I understand I need a (USB) DAC in that situation. Any recommendations for a sub $200 DAC I can try? 

I apologize for my long rambling post.  

Yes, you need a DAC with asynchronous USB connection, RCA analogue cables from DAC to integrated or preamp. Topping, Schiit, Ifi.

Sounds like you are using a mobile device (iPhone?) to access Tidal. You would need a lightning to USB adaptor, then USB cable to a USB DAC. If you have a later model iPad Pro, then it will probably be USB C to B to the DAC. Using an outboard DAC should give a better audio result than Airplay

Posted (edited)

To connect to your Vinyl system, a DAC is required. This will convert the digital stream to analogue, which can them be sent to the vinyl system via RCA cable. A laptop or PC or tablet or phone can be used as the digital source, connected to the DAC via USB. A Dragonfly DAC is a good entry point. If you want to step up in quality, ie MQA playback, may I recommend the SMSL M500 DAC. It has XLR balanced output, if that's usefull, this is what I have. Welcome to the modern digital world, good luck.

Edited by Gale
spelling

SMSL M500 front.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2020 at 4:52 PM, Gale said:

Welcome to the modern digital world

Thank You @mjs & @Gale. I feel like I'm pretty modern :) but I have never listened to music through my phone or laptop. I'm scouring the net and the classifieds to find a DAC around the $200 mark. I don't want to spend too much, its just something I want to try. Also money is tight due to the virus. I want to see if I like it and see if Tidal worth it..  

So far the Tidal does sound good played through my AVR. 

Edited by charlie_bird

I canceled my tidal subscription ... had till end august... then almost immediately day I cancel I get charged instead for another month ? Is this some timing thing ? Just seems odd and bit of coincidence. Have sent query to tidal... no reply ... maybe weekend ? Anyone else had experience like this ? Hardly wants me to sign up to them again

is their communication to sort billing good via email ?

I airplay using ipod or iphone to my pioneer avr and happy with SQ. my wife uses rca in front port of avr and 3.5 mm into her samsung phone happy with that as well. i only have spotify.