DIY jaycar speaker wire vs retail

I've had these for a while now following someone's advice here but now I need longer cables.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/50-ohm-rg213-u-cable-sold-per-metre/p/WB2015 

What sort of retail cable would they be comparable to price wise where you didn't have to strip the wire manually?

It's easiest for me to just rebuy these but longer. Are they about right quality wise in this setup?

Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon Turntable with Ortofon 2M Silver Cartridge

rega phono mm mk3

Yamaha RS202B

KEF Q350

Edited by punkindrublic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, punkindrublic said:

I've had these for a while now following someone's advice here but now I need longer cables.

What sort of retail cable would they be comparable to price wise where you didn't have to strip the wire manually?

It's easiest for me to just rebuy these but longer. Are they about right quality wise in this setup?

rega phono mm mk3

Yamaha RS202B

KEF Q350

1 hour ago, punkindrublic said:

The NB all-rounder is actually cheaper, if I get 5m of the jaycar, its nearly 60$ for 1 speaker (left and right cable)

but then that leads me to believe the Jaycar might be better?

Can't quite get what you're saying, pid?  How come 1 speaker needs a left and right cable?  In my world:

• you need a cable for the left and right spkr
  • but each cable has '+' (red) and '-' (black) wires.

How long does the cable to each spkr need to be?

Andy

29 minutes ago, andyr said:

Can't quite get what you're saying, pid?  How come 1 speaker needs a left and right cable?  In my world:

• you need a cable for the left and right spkr
  • but each cable has '+' (red) and '-' (black) wires.

How long does the cable to each spkr need to be?

Andy

ah, lol, the left speaker is the left speaker! still needs two cables tho red and black

I would recommend looking for some of this cable.

https://www.cmielectrical.com.au/product/ins1p7030oallscrbk

Use the 2pair version "INS2P7030O/ALLSCRBK ", one cable per speaker to length, connect white to white, black to black both ends to make a single pair.

I had some given to me by another SNA member,  these cables are used in commercial environments for data/control cabling, so you may find some on largish building sites or from CMI in 100metre(?) rolls.

Ask around at local Electrical wiring companies if they have any spare?

For your application you may get some off cuts longer than 5 metres which may be enough to do your job, you might get it gratis from the scrap bin.

I believe these were much better to my ears than the RG213 which in my system is what I would term lean and harsh sounding. YMMV

I think I have two sets of RG213 in the shed, not too sure what length they are but would be likely to be 2.5metres, but would not recommend them, others may/will think differently.

23 minutes ago, punkindrublic said:

ah, lol, the left speaker is the left speaker! still needs two cables tho red and black

Not really, one cable will do one speaker, you have 2 conductors to use, the centre and the shield. At least thats how I did it when I used coax speaker cable.

2 hours ago, punkindrublic said:

ah, lol, the left speaker is the left speaker! still needs two cables the red and black

You didn't answer my question, pid - "How long does the cable to each spkr need to be? ".

And as John Doe said:

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

Not really, one cable will do one speaker, you have 2 conductors to use, the centre and the shield. At least that's how I did it when I used coax speaker cable.

Or - the way I build spkr cables ... you have the red & the black cables in the one sheath.  (IE. not coax.)

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soundbyte said:

I would recommend looking for some of this cable.

https://www.cmielectrical.com.au/product/ins1p7030oallscrbk

Use the 2pair version "INS2P7030O/ALLSCRBK ", one cable per speaker to length, connect white to white, black to black both ends to make a single pair.

I had some given to me by another SNA member,  these cables are used in commercial environments for data/control cabling, so you may find some on largish building sites or from CMI in 100metre(?) rolls.

Ask around at local Electrical wiring companies if they have any spare?

For your application you may get some off cuts longer than 5 metres which may be enough to do your job, you might get it gratis from the scrap bin.

I believe these were much better to my ears than the RG213 which in my system is what I would term lean and harsh sounding. YMMV

I think I have two sets of RG213 in the shed, not too sure what length they are but would be likely to be 2.5metres, but would not recommend them, others may/will think differently.

That's an interesting cable, and without having tried either it or the RG213 I'd be inclined to favor that one you prefer.

Edited by muon*

18 hours ago, punkindrublic said:

rega phono mm mk3

Yamaha RS202B

KEF Q350

RG213 has gone up in price!
at that price I haven't found anything better at that price. It did sound a bit flat in my system.

The more copper the better i find in speaker cables.

Canare 4S11 is pretty good

https://cliff.com.au

Mogami 3103  at around $15 is way better.

Your only problem is you'll never know how good a cable is until you try it in your system.

8 minutes ago, punkindrublic said:

funny that the jaycar cable is 50 ohm, and that table only goes up to 8 ohm.

The 50 ohm specified for the cable is its characteristic impedance, a concept quite different from load and loss. The recommended cable gauges and maximum lengths determine the cable’s actual impedance, which increases with length and decreases (the resistive component anyway) with cross-section. The idea is to view the cable-speaker combination as a voltage divider, and to keep the voltage drop over the cable so small as to be negligible. Both cable resistance and inductance come into play here, and need to be minimised. That’s essentially what defines a good speaker cable.

The characteristic impedance doesn’t depend on length or conductor cross-section, it is a fixed property of the cable determined by its construction. It plays no role in low-frequency applications. You find it among the RG213/U specifications because that cable is intended for UHF applications.

13 hours ago, Steffen said:

The characteristic impedance doesn’t depend on length or conductor cross-section, it is a fixed property of the cable determined by its construction. It plays no role in low-frequency applications. You find it among the RG213/U specifications because that cable is intended for UHF applications.

It'd be more accurate to say ...because that cable is intended for RF applications.