Hi Fi Podcast - three sad bastards

Combined SB1/2/3 have probably a combined 100 years of audiophilia compared to Sander's meagre 40 years of experience.

How can anyone seriously take the views of a man that successfully designs, manufactures and sells amplifiers, speakers and cables?

Sheesh!

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/11/interview-with-roger-sanders.html

I enjoy the shows and this one was a cracker.  Keep up the great work.

• Volunteer
9 hours ago, Eggmeister said:

When is the Sad Bastards merchandise going to be available ?

We are working on our line of “3SB intimate apparel” right now @Eggmeister   
The perfect gift for long suffering audio spouses, or even something special for yourself

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

We welcome other suggestions for 3SB merch

DOTM caps and T-shirts.

End of each month after scouring the threads here you pick a Dunce of the Month and they get a cap and T-shirt.

Would smarten up the threads no end.

Who'd want to win it?

The oblivious obviously but you'd also see the power cable threads, the measurements threads, the wow my system is just the bee's knee's threads tighten up, no more off the cuff remarks and narkiness or chest beating as you praise your speakers/amps/dacs and weird tonearms and TT's.

Some would wear it with pride and a texta'd in S thinking it was a mistake and they'd fixed it, others would wear them for the exclusivity and mystery surrounding what DOTM stood for and whether 3SB is a new Derwent pencil grade.

The yearly awards ceremony would culminate in the awarding of the DOTY and of course the SAOTY  both heavily contested categories for sure.

*Awards Night could be a mega GTG where you bring cakes you baked and we call in a CWA judge and let her pick the best one. BBQ'd meat is another category deserving of an award on the night and we pick a good ole boy to judge the best rack/joint/snag/smoked Bream fillet and other delights.

Cheapest bottle or wine deposited at the makeshift bar would also procure an award. Just imagine taking out all three awards... Phwoarr! 

3SB's BM award for 'Best Mod'...                     modification of a item be it speakers,cables,amps,dacs etc.( Not best moderator as some might misconstrue, as Mods are all adjudged equal in the eyes of the members yeah.).

Cocktail stirrers with a sad looking quarrion atop them and 3SB stamped on it's wings and drink coasters with the same shabby bird on them.

People would come away from a night like that clutching their awards and memorabilia and smiling and chuckling and thinking; 'those bastards!' and yes, some might fling their awards and also think; 'those bastards!'

Possibilities are endless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmm, DOTM could get me / us into trouble! We could do a Make Hifi Great Again award. Boy that would cause some arguments between us sad bastards.

Now, off to work.. and planning the next episode (I actually don’t do any planning) 

30 minutes ago, Prince Arnold said:

Hmm, DOTM could get me / us into trouble! We could do a Make Hifi Great Again award. Boy that would cause some arguments between us sad bastards.

Now, off to work.. and planning the next episode (I actually don’t do any planning) 

Merch - specially designed Sad Bastard toilet paper for an end of COVID special. 

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Isn't that a Pink Floyd Album

3 hours ago, Luc said:

Some would wear it with pride and a texta'd in S thinking it was a mistake and they'd fixed it,

I'm guessing you've got a red texta.

• Haha 1

• Volunteer

(diverting attention away from Eggy)

I'd be interested in thoughts about the Roger Sanders interview from anyone.

He really knows his stuff and can talk clearly and articulately about it. Fascinating to listen to but really hard to edit - we had to make some very difficult decisions about which interesting bits to cut out

3 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I'd be interested in thoughts about the Roger Sanders interview from anyone.

My guess is you must have done some sharp editing because I think Sanders has a lot on his mind and a lot to say and has the pragmatic confidence of his own success and experience to lay it out.  I personally would have been interested in his thoughts on the commercial realities of hifi as a businessman and his thoughts on future trends.

Did he have a sense of humour? Kind or hard to marry the relaxed word play humour and the tight long history and inside jokes of the 3SB with Sanders' underlying irritability about the hifi world in general that kind of jarred but all in all it's great to hear this other side of the Andrew Jones softball interviews.

Who's next? Alan Shaw would be up for it I'm sure, but he has even less a sense of humour about those same issues Sanders highlighted.

Don't be so hard on yourselves and stretch the episodes to 45 minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@aris & @sir sanders zingmore & @Prince Arnold

Your Sadness,

It was quite a quest to find you just to share with you a few of questions I hope you could shed some light upon in one of your delightful programme's future episodes.

1. Which properties/characteristics of  audio system components (source, DAC, amp, speakers/headphones) should one consider when shopping around and in which order of priority?
  2. I am also curious what you think about affects(s) of ambient temperature upon (y)our experience of listening to music.

Looking forward to your new shows.

Cheers!

P.S. Is the anti-audiophile quality of the recordings of your conversations intentional? It definitely carries a "signature" quality, but it makes my ears bleed a bit :)

Edited by barinov2000
had to tag @Prince Arnold
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, barinov2000 said:

I am also curious what you think about affects(s) of ambient temperature upon (y)our experience of listening to music.

Hot, humid weather turn the AC on.

Cold frigid weather turn the AC on

Hot and sweaty/cold and wet at live music have another drink or spliff

In transit? Doesn't matter.

• Haha 2

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, barinov2000 said:

P.S. Is the anti-audiophile quality of the recordings of your conversations intentional? It definitely carries a "signature" quality, but it makes my ears bleed a bit :)

I think that’s more a product of the excessive wine consumption during recording than anything else 

• Haha 1