grorr76

MoFi UltraDeck ,Clear audio concept , Rega Planar 6 which to choose?

Hi folks im considering a turntable upgrade to a MoFi UltraDeck with Ultra tracker cart.

Im keen to hear from anyone who owns one what there experiences are like.

My other 2 candidates are the

clear audio concept with satisfy arm

or the Rega Planar 6 with aria cart

my budget it uptown 3.5k

if you have heard or own any of these really keen to hear what you think. thanks in advance

I recently auditioned the UltraDeck against the P6.

To me the UltraDeck was a fair leap ahead.

Firstly in plinth isolation from whatever you sit it on. Also it seemed to retrieve a lot more from the groove than the Rega. In particular the lower registers. 

36 minutes ago, todagt said:

I recently auditioned the UltraDeck against the P6.

To me the UltraDeck was a fair leap ahead.

Firstly in plinth isolation from whatever you sit it on. Also it seemed to retrieve a lot more from the groove than the Rega. In particular the lower registers. 

yeah that's the way im swaying I currently have a project sb 2xperience turntable so I take it id notice quite a jump with the UltraDeck?

Posted (edited)

I quickly ruled out the Rega. It just missed all the important midbass detail.

The sound stage was also more realistic with the MoFi deck as well. 

The Rega did the centre phantom image well, but that was about it.

The MoFi was far wider, taller and still retained the focused centre.

Although that said I didn't purchase either deck.

They also had a tricked out Kuzma sabi S which of course blew both away, but just the cart was worth more than both the UltraDeck and P6 combined.

For some context, I am currently looking to purchase my first TT. And I thought the nether could best my current digital setup so I didn't end up pulling the trigger.

Edited by todagt

1 minute ago, todagt said:

I quickly ruled out the Rega. It just missed all the important midbass detail.

The sound stage was also more realistic with the MoFi deck as well. 

The Rega did the centre phantom image well, but that was about it.

The MoFi was far wider, taller and still retained the focused centre.

Although that said I didn't purchase either deck.

They also had a tricked out Kuzma sabi S which or course blew both away. But just the cart was worth more than both the UltraDeck and P6 combined.

For some context, I am currently looking to purchase my first TT. And I thought the both couldn't best my current digital setup so I didn't end up pulling the trigger.

just out of interest what digital front end are you running?

Nothing too spectacular,

Auralic aries feeding a PS audio Directstream.

Rest of the system is Bryston BP26 into a 4BSST2 and PMC Fact 12.

Just now, todagt said:

Nothing too spectacular,

Auralic aries feeding a PS audio Directstream.

Rest of the system is Bryston BP26 into a 4BSST2 and PMC Fact 12.

nice I have a Schiit Yggdrasil day which I like very much, still prefer the tonality and realness of an all analogue pressed record though

Posted (edited)

I agree, which is why I'm chasing a TT.

I have heard a magical setup but sadly I can't afford it.

It was a member in Perth's Kuzma Stabi reference. Absolutely outstanding.

Edited by todagt

Hi,

I sell the Rega and the MoFi and have done the comparison between these two many times (Gold Note PH10 with dual inputs makes it easy).

The Rega is very punchy, controlled with a great focussed centre image.. it is intimate and in the room.

The MoFi is a bigger, bolder sound both tonally and soundstage wise.. The centre focus is not quite as "in the room" but it has more lower mid body.

I have found that on Rock and Pop the MoFi sounds more confident, bigger, and easier to listen to...

On jazz and small ensembles the Rega P6 intimacy and in the room feeling can enhance these types of recordings.

I find 2 out of 3 people prefer the MoFi.

The MoFi also has an amazing knack of having very low surface noise when playing records (the Rega is no slouch here either).

Both excellent decks.

5 minutes ago, Douglas HiFi said:

Hi,

I sell the Rega and the MoFi and have done the comparison between these two many times (Gold Note PH10 with dual inputs makes it easy).

The Rega is very punchy, controlled with a great focussed centre image.. it is intimate and in the room.

The MoFi is a bigger, bolder sound both tonally and soundstage wise.. The centre focus is not quite as "in the room" but it has more lower mid body.

I have found that on Rock and Pop the MoFi sounds more confident, bigger, and easier to listen to...

On jazz and small ensembles the Rega P6 intimacy and in the room feeling can enhance these types of recordings.

The MoFi also has an amazing knack of having very low surface noise when playing records (the Rega is no slouch here either).

Both excellent decks.

Huge thanks for that it’s a huge help

5 hours ago, Douglas HiFi said:

Hi,

Both excellent decks.

just another questions how's the ultra tracker compare to say a Rega Planar 8. ive seen some great deals around on the planar 8 so im kind of curious.

11 hours ago, grorr76 said:

Hi folks im considering a turntable upgrade to a MoFi UltraDeck with Ultra tracker cart.

Im keen to hear from anyone who owns one what there experiences are like.

My other 2 candidates are the

clear audio concept with satisfy arm

or the Rega Planar 6 with aria cart

my budget it uptown 3.5k

if you have heard or own any of these really keen to hear what you think. thanks in advance

Was recently in the same boat as you , I went for the ultradeck with master tracker cartidge. 

To me I think the mofi has a much better build quality than the Rega 6. The concept seemed a bit fiddly in some respects . It like that the mofi doesn't bother with a sub platter.

the deck you could consider - a technics sl1200gr ? 

On 15/04/2020 at 2:57 PM, grorr76 said:

just another questions how's the ultra tracker compare to say a Rega Planar 8. ive seen some great deals around on the planar 8 so im kind of curious.

Hmmmm...

I have heard both.. but never done a back to back comparison...

So not much help there...

Once you hit 4-5k AUD for a turntable it is generally going to be very very good... The cart and the phono stage will also need to be up to scratch... especially the phono stage.

I would personally say that a 1k cart with a 3k phono stage will often sound better than a 3k cart with a 1k phono stage...

All about matching everything up.

So if you have 5-6k to spend I would suggest 3-4k for turntable package and 2-3k for phono stage.

On 15/04/2020 at 9:32 PM, cafe67 said:

Was recently in the same boat as you , I went for the ultradeck with master tracker cartidge. 

To me I think the mofi has a much better build quality than the Rega 6. The concept seemed a bit fiddly in some respects . It like that the mofi doesn't bother with a sub platter.

the deck you could consider - a technics sl1200gr ? 

I think I'm reering towards the ultradeck. 

Out of the three decks mentioned, I would definitely go for the Ultradeck, although I would probably get it without cart and choose something else.

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

Out of the three decks mentioned, I would definitely go for the Ultradeck, although I would probably get it without cart and choose something else.

im hearing the master tracker is fantastic.  when I do this im going to pair it with another new acquisition the elac ppa-2 pre it should be a fantastic combo

Just now, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

A good time to buy a MoFi:-

very cool cheers

@Frank Prowse Hi-Fi

May I enquire as to the RRP of the Ultra deck with the ultra tracker cart please?

Thank you.

its 3999 rrp

1 minute ago, rantan said:

@Frank Prowse Hi-Fi

May I enquire as to the RRP of the Ultra deck with the ultra tracker cart please?

Thank you.

its 3999 RRP but you can find it for 3599 at present

3 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

its 3999 rrp

its 3999 RRP but you can find it for 3599 at present

Actually the new RRP as of the beginning of this week is actually $4,299, so anybody on the fence should jump on any keen pricing out there. A new MoFi electronics price list was delivered to retailers on Tuesday.

I haven't heard the Mofi Ultradeck, or the Rega, but I used a Clearaudio Concept MC as my TT for about 4 years when first getting into vinyl and it worked extremely well, straight of the box, with no set up required. 

It's now almost 8 years old and still works fine when I use it.

14 hours ago, pine weasel said:

I haven't heard the Mofi Ultradeck, or the Rega, but I used a Clearaudio Concept MC as my TT for about 4 years when first getting into vinyl and it worked extremely well, straight of the box, with no set up required. 

It's now almost 8 years old and still works fine when I use it.

I hear great things about the concept but after all my weighing up the positives for what I am after seem to be resting firmly in the UltraDeck camp. everyone says its an amazing tracker dead silent. Virtually tracks without surface noise sounds full rich and dynamic. I have had hum issues for a while and from the general reviews ive seen it is dead silent as far as hum, static and hiss all huge plusses.

I am in the same boat. Stepping into vinyl for the first time. I am looking at the Kuzma S.

Given the Rega P8 is currently selling for the same price as the MOFI, perhaps that's a better comparison than the P6 ?