MoFi UltraDeck ,Clear audio concept , Rega Planar 6 which to choose?

25 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

Given the Rega P8 is currently selling for the same price as the MOFI, perhaps that's a better comparison than the P6 ?

I noted that yeah and includes a pretty amazing mc cart

On 15/04/2020 at 2:57 PM, grorr76 said:

just another questions how's the ultra tracker compare to say a Rega Planar 8. ive seen some great deals around on the planar 8 so im kind of curious.

Hmmmm...

I have heard both.. but never done a back to back comparison...

So not much help there...

Once you hit 4-5k AUD for a turntable it is generally going to be very very good... The cart and the phono stage will also need to be up to scratch... especially the phono stage.

I would personally say that a 1k cart with a 3k phono stage will often sound better than a 3k cart with a 1k phono stage...

All about matching everything up.

So if you have 5-6k to spend I would suggest 3-4k for turntable package and 2-3k for phono stage.

The MoFi record gift offer is available Australia wide from Authorised dealers - So from us, Revolution or Frank Prowse in W.A.

The Rega RP8 still has the smaller but more detailed Rega house sound - I prefer the MoFi Ultra for its more extended bass and bigger soundstage.

The new Rega P8 is a different deck to the RP8... Better bass and a more open sound....

I have heard both the MoFi Ultra and the new P8... but never back to back to compare.

These are both great decks that have a different approach of music presentation.

FB_IMG_1576392894400.jpg.e26a03b7ef7c82d2d44acf7700a74097.jpg

Edited by Douglas HiFi

19 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

As Simon says above, dont shortchange yourself on the phono stage, its critical.

As for comparisons, I would still buy a MoFi over the Rega P8 (and I sell both).

That’s interesting. Why is that the p8 reviews are equally as gushing as the ultradecks

12 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

That’s interesting. Why is that the p8 reviews are equally as gushing as the ultradecks

As had been noted already, they are ALL GOOD DECKS. The only way you can decide for yourself which is better for you is to go an listen. If you buy either of the two, you wont have the other at home to compare it to anyway so you will enjoy your purchase anyway. 

What I will say is Ive yet to have any issues with any MoFi decks Ive sold, I cannot say the same for Rega...

Just now, Hydrology said:

As had been noted already, they are ALL GOOD DECKS. The only way you can decide for yourself which is better for you is to go an listen. If you buy either of the two, you wont have the other at home to compare it to anyway so you will enjoy your purchase anyway. 

What I will say is Ive yet to have any issues with any MoFi decks Ive sold, I cannot say the same for Rega...

All much appreciated advise. Gonna make my move in next week or so exciting time.

• 2 weeks later...

On 19/04/2020 at 3:32 PM, Douglas HiFi said:

The MoFi record gift offer is available Australia wide from Authorised dealers - So from us, Revolution or Frank Prowse in W.A.

The Rega RP8 still has the smaller but more detailed Rega house sound - I prefer the MoFi Ultra for its more extended bass and bigger soundstage.

The new Rega P8 is a different deck to the RP8... Better bass and a more open sound....

I have heard both the MoFi Ultra and the new P8... but never back to back to compare.

These are both great decks that have a different approach of music presentation.

hey question. im about to bite the bullet later this week early next.. I think ive settled on the UltraDeck .. I was going to get the ultra tracker cart but im considering going uptown the master tracker.. my question is.. is the jump worth the extra and how do the 2 carts vary as far as tracking, sound and performance.

19 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

I went mastertrack . otherwise you will wondering what if? 

can you give me a bit of a report review of how your going with the deck, to build my anticipation  ?  I know its called mastertracker does it track as good as its title. also heard its fantastic at surface noise rejection. are you finding that to

56 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

can you give me a bit of a report review of how your going with the deck, to build my anticipation  ?  I know its called mastertracker does it track as good as its title. also heard its fantastic at surface noise rejection. are you finding that to

At wk at mo, let me get back to you with a good answer

2 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

At wk at mo, let me get back to you with a good answer

cool really appreciate it.. I just got my mofi puck in the mail to which I hear really improves things furthur also.. look forward to hearing your thoughts

9 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

cool really appreciate it.. I just got my mofi puck in the mail to which I hear really improves things furthur also.. look forward to hearing your thoughts

The puck makes a difference. Was skeptical but its essy to show/hear ? 

Just now, cafe67 said:

The puck makes a difference. Was skeptical but its essy to show/hear ? 

just using it on my old project I can even hear a difference, less surface noise deeper bass who would of thought hey. its ridiculously expensive though

1 minute ago, grorr76 said:

just using it on my old project I can even hear a difference, less surface noise deeper bass who would of thought hey. its ridiculously expensive though

Yeah. Not cheap 

7 hours ago, grorr76 said:

hey question. im about to bite the bullet later this week early next.. I think ive settled on the UltraDeck .. I was going to get the ultra tracker cart but im considering going uptown the master tracker.. my question is.. is the jump worth the extra and how do the 2 carts vary as far as tracking, sound and performance.

Master Tracker is certainly a better cart .... as long as your phono stage is up to revealing the extra seperation and detail.

Yes - all the Mofi carts track brilliantly and have low surface noise.... keep in mind that the stylus are fixed onto the art at factory (so you can't just replace the stylus like you normally can on an MM cart.

PM me for pricing with Master Tracker if you'd like.

cheer,

Simon Pressman

7 minutes ago, Douglas HiFi said:

Master Tracker is certainly a better cart .... as long as your phono stage is up to revealing the extra seperation and detail.

Yes - all the Mofi carts track brilliantly and have low surface noise.... keep in mind that the stylus are fixed onto the art at factory (so you can't just replace the stylus like you normally can on an MM cart.

PM me for pricing with Master Tracker if you'd like.

cheer,

Simon Pressman

its all good im getting it with an UltraDeck making the move later this week or early next ill get it with the TT. Im also getting a new pre as well so detail etc won't be an issue thanks for the tip..

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/04/2020 at 8:31 AM, grorr76 said:

I hear great things about the concept but after all my weighing up the positives for what I am after seem to be resting firmly in the UltraDeck camp. everyone says its an amazing tracker dead silent. Virtually tracks without surface noise sounds full rich and dynamic. I have had hum issues for a while and from the general reviews ive seen it is dead silent as far as hum, static and hiss all huge plusses.

When l upgraded last year l had my heart set on the Concept. I did a back to back between the Concept and the MoFi Studiodeck and matching cart. The Studiodeck was better by a huge margin. I then wanted to listen to the Ultradeck, but he didn't have one in stock. Anyway,long story, short. I just ordered the Ultradeck sound unheard, being so impressed with the Studiodeck. No brainer really as it was in my budget.

Wow, what a revelation. It is the best up to 5k tt l had ever heard... period.  My only regret was that l should have bought it with the Master Tracker cart. Though the Ultra Tracker is stunning. Guess what my next upgrade will be.

If l can offer further advice. Get the record weight. Its $300, but boy does it make a huge difference

(I took a punt and ordered it about a month later).  Different interconnects make a difference too.

Mate, just buy it. You wont regret it.

The price of this TT has gone up in price substantually since its inception(testing the waters l think when it first came out). Winning multiple awards has also factored in price increases.

7 hours ago, needlerunner said:

When l upgraded last year l had my heart set on the Concept. I did a back to back between the Concept and the MoFi Studiodeck and matching cart. The Studiodeck was better by a huge margin. I then wanted to listen to the Ultradeck, but he didn't have one in stock. Anyway,long story, short. I just ordered the Ultradeck sound unheard, being so impressed with the Studiodeck. No brainer really as it was in my budget.

Wow, what a revelation. It is the best up to 5k tt l had ever heard... period.  My only regret was that l should have bought it with the Master Tracker cart. Though the Ultra Tracker is stunning. Guess what my next upgrade will be.

If l can offer further advice. Get the record weight. Its $300, but boy does it make a huge difference

(I took a punt and ordered it about a month later).  Different interconnects make a difference too.

Mate, just buy it. You wont regret it.

The price of this TT has gone up in price substantually since its inception(testing the waters l think when it first came out). Winning multiple awards has also factored in price increases.

I bought it   got the UltraDeck mastertracker combo for an incredible  but 800 under rrp. I'm loving it. 

Edited by grorr76
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi, congrats with your new TT.  Would you mind telling where you get it from?  I am also in similar situation as you were.....I am trying to sell my VPI Scout Jr and planning to replace it with either Rega or MoFi, thanks.