Mr 57

Art Dudley, R.I.P.

Posted (edited)

That is very sad news and I've been reading Art's columns and reviews for decades...............he loved his music, vinyl playback in particular and was a very funny bloke. RIP Art.

Edited by cheekyboy

Awful news. Really enjoyed all his articles. 

Sad news indeed.

Sad news indeed in these strange times.

Art and Herb Reichert are the only 2 writers I really bothered reading closely at Stereophile so it's no surprise I found Herb's words on Art the more insightful and touching.

Condolences to all of Art Dudley's family and friends.

Just so sad.

Art was one of a very few audio journalists who I respected and one of even fewer whose opinion I trusted.

R.I.P Art, thanks for the wisdom and the knowledge and humour.

Ugh. This one hurts.

I started reading Stereophile around the time Art started writing for them and he was the first - and still one of the very few - audio writers I found that felt like he was writing for me, rather than reviewing despite me.

Hifi has lost a unique voice.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/art-dudley-rest-peace

This is very sad news.  I really enjoyed his writing, even I didn't have his tastes in music and audio equipment. 

My condolences to his family and all those with whom he worked and industry colleagues.

very sad... RIP Art...

He had a unique but very effective way of sharing his thoughts and conveying his (extraordinary) passion over many years. I didn't always agree with Art but I always enjoyed his story. 

Until about 5 years ago I was still subscribed to the printed edition, and electronic since, so I have a very extensive Stereophile library, and now is the perfect opportunity to revisit Art's past adventures.  

He was no spring rooster, but gone far too young. 

From one Art to another, RIP. 

It’s sad to hear the passing of Art Dudley.
I will miss his writings. I have been reading his work since the Listener days. He seemed more interested in good music than many ‚Äėreviewers‚Äô. ¬†And he appreciates good sound beyond the commercial hype that surround so much of the audio industry. He was prepared to write about small artisan manufacturer such as 47Labs and Shindo. I was convinced he was the one who enabled Voxativ Ampeggio, a full range driver/speaker to get the 2011 Stereophile component of the year, an extremely unusual choice for Stereophile who favour mainstream commercial non-fi.¬†¬†
He influenced my decision to use EMT 997 tonearm with external armboard. A magnificent but underrated tonearm.  
RIP Art...audio god will have good company

R.I.P but gee it was mercifully quick . 

Damn, what a loss. I've enjoyed a number of his reviews over the past however many years.

Posted (edited)

Art Dudley was my kinda guy, he had a wide open mind and would listen to anything that took his fancy from valves to solid state and his speaker tastes were just as eclectic as he liked everything from panels (Quad ESLs) to musical sounding box speakers like Audionote, Lowther, Harbeth, Proac and LS3/5A.

In the communications I had with him several years ago you could tell he was one of the good guys in audio. Sure like all reviewers he had to juggle deftly the demands of keeping both the equipment manufacturers and readership happy with his writing. However, you could always tell there was an underlying honesty and passion for the best music reproduction and the type of components that he liked to listen to, as opposed to what the latest trend was. His colleagues and the  readership knew this about him - that’s what made him so engaging and readable.

Anyway, I ended buying from Art the rare and beautiful sounding Lowther PM2A Ticonal drivers described in the Stereophile article below. Btw, Ticonal describes the magnet structure, it’s like Alnico magnets but made from Titanium-Cobalt-Nickel-Alluminium.

https://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/207listen/index.html

RIP Art Dudley  ...1954 - 2020.

Cheers,

Steve.

image.jpeg.1760e7ab5fbe28f3db8676a8d5bf770e.jpeg

Edited by Steve M

Sad news, he has made a great and positive contribution to many people's audio lives.

Just saw this on Twitter and read the tribute article on Stereophile.

Sad indeed. A wonderful writer with a unique sense of humour.

RIP, Art

Great old school reviewer.

RIP Art, see you soon.

Life is short but Art is long.

RIP

Enjoyed his reviews through the years

A real loss. I always enjoyed his writing.

Oh no. I still subscribe to Stereophile print edition and always turn to his column and any reviews he's written first. As others have touched on above he always struck me as writing about music first, the reproduction process a distant second. His recent writings on John Fahey got me listening to him again and I've definitely bought records based on his writing. No gear, because even though his system was probably not so outrageous or esoteric for an audio writer it is still way out of my budget...but his writing on vinyl based, low power  high efficiency systems strike a chord with me, as did his writing on actually striking chords.

2020 can garn giffuct ūüôĀ

Oh no..  this is real sad.  Have always enjoyed Art's column and reviews. @blackangus - yep 2020 can garn giffuct indeed!!

What I always liked about Art was his unwavering support for people liking what they like - I've always thought that speaks to a person's capacity for empathy.

In a hobby full of people sure of what is proper and correct, Art seemed to find those notions quaint.

I'll miss that. 

1 hour ago, twofires said:

What I always liked about Art was his unwavering support for people liking what they like - I've always thought that speaks to a person's capacity for empathy.

In a hobby full of people sure of what is proper and correct, Art seemed to find those notions quaint.

I'll miss that. 

Well said