Well it's been a while since I checked in, and a lot has changed.

Here's where I'm at.

Tv: Kogan 55" lcd 4k with hdr (non smart)

Reciever: Pioneer SC-LX58

Blu-ray: Sony UBP-X700

Power supply: Belkin Pure|AV PF40

Speakers: 6 x Orpheus Nexus II, Orpheus Centaurus I

I am currently searching for more speakers to finish off the atmos install, also have my eye out for some other audio source units that I have always wanted.

I also plan to start building my media server soon.

20200410_112218.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2020 at 5:48 PM, DryftKult said:

Well it's been a while since I checked in, and a lot has changed.

Here's where I'm at.

Tv: Kogan 55" lcd 4k with hdr (non smart)

Reciever: Pioneer SC-LX58

Blu-ray: Sony UBP-X700

Power supply: Belkin Pure|AV PF40

Speakers: 6 x Orpheus Nexus II, Orpheus Centaurus I

I am currently searching for more speakers to finish off the atmos install, also have my eye out for some other audio source units that I have always wanted.

I also plan to start building my media server soon.

20200410_112218.jpg

Looks like you're off to a great start.

My uncle uses some older Orpheus speakers and he loves them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Winno said:

Looks like you're off to a great start.

My uncle uses some older Orpheus speakers and he loves them.

The older ones are the best ones, afaik Brad Serhan no longer has much to do with Orpheus's production and they have since taken place as Duntech's budget product line. 

I have a pair of CS28 (Voltair) that I need to finish restoring when I have the time and money, one of the best sounding speakers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Wanted a pair of huge subs for crushing realistic bass, not one to shy away from trying out cheap crap so I have purchased a pair of cheap entry level 18" powered P/A subwoofers.

I'll more than likely build new enclosures in the not too distant future, power listed here is pmpo, actual power is more likely 250ish wrms.

Might be a waste of money, might actually work quite well, we'll wait and see.

2020-05-14 11.49.53.png

• Like 1

This was a stupid, stupid, stupid idea... and I don't regret it at all XD

I will however make new cabinets a priority, and a pair of soft start circuits and speaker delay relays are also a definite mod to the amplifiers in the coming weeks.

Have yet to run them, it's too late and I have only just gotten them home.

I will not be setting these up for maximum volume, just effortless bass for home cinema.

20200520_181843.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well one of the amps isn't working so I'm waiting on an exchange or a refund.

With the one working unit I have discovered that aside from desperately needing some extra bracing and dampening, it actually works quite well.

New cabinets will be of equal volume but different dimensions to be able to physically fit them where I want them when I get a rack for the components.

Edited by DryftKult

Dj City have asked me to bring the faulty unit to the Mansfield store here in Brisbane for an exchange, so I will be doing that tomorrow.

I'll also drop into bunnings and pick up some timber and some accoustic insulation to add to the current cabs to make them a little more livable while the new units are built.

Well the replacement sub is home and working well, it took me a few hours to tune them in to find the sweet spot and they havent disappointed me.

There are improvements to be made, today I learned the cabinets contain no accoustic dampening or internal bracing at all, so new cabinets are definitelythe next step.

With all that said, with both set at 50hz and down they have definitely delivered what the orpheus are lacking, music and movies are both now so much more enveloping.

Soon I'll be recording video for my upcoming youtube channel, I plan on building new matching cabinets for all my speakers and drivers so everything matches to help dull my ocd.

Today was a good day.

Picked up a Pioneer PL-50A turntable and a pair of vintage Sonics AS-202 speakers for $200.

I'm not particularly interested in the speakers at this stage, though I will have a better look at them in the future.

Now the tt, the counterweight is missing, but I have ordered the correct piece on ebay.

It will recieve a full restomod before it is used, I also need to find a suitable phono preamp.

This model is notorious for the magnetic antiskating mechanism to stop working, however they are now very reparable thanks to a few good forum posts on the net.

Everyone who has a working unit loves them, so I feel good about this purchase.

They have a wonderful looking tonearm, cant wait until it's finished.

20200531_130951.jpg

20200531_130930.jpg

20200531_130913.jpg

20200531_130901.jpg

20200531_130848.jpg

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I just missed out on a pair of Duntech ambassadors, all because the seller decided at the last minute that he DIDN'T want to deal with freighting them after all, despite stating he would and even naming his chosen courier in the item description.

I'm suitably pissed.

Looks like I'll have to wait another 10 years.

• 2 months later...

Housemates finally moved back out, I am in the process of setting up back in my living room.

I bought 4 Ikea lack end tables, threw 2 of the tops down on some isolation pads and put the reciever and power console in place.

I have some copper isolation spikes on the way, then I'll cut the legs and do this a little better. 

Record and blu ray players will go on top.

20200829_125648.jpg

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Syntax 5 speaker surround package today.

Syntax is a budget focused brand from Brad serhan, but they still sound great, Im using the towers and bookshelfs to expand to 9.2 surround.

All I need now is to MacGyver a pair of ceiling speakers of some kind and my full 9.2.2 channel atmos will be complete.

The Syntax center will be kept as a backup for then the Orpheus gets a restoration.

Ignore the mess, Ive had to move absolutely everything to get the chair on axis and I'm also waiting for my ex housemate to collect the last of his furniture.

20200913_170600.jpg

20200913_170624.jpg

20200913_170714.jpg

20200913_190919.jpg

20200913_190937.jpg

20200913_191047.jpg

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

WARNING!!! This post is purely for the shits and giggles 😂

These monstrosities appeared in my marketplace feed for $60 today.

I couldn't help myself, I wanted them purely because they are ridiculous.

Who knows, maybe after some mods they might actually be bearable. 20201212_223734.thumb.jpg.88a4e52dee1334070d01e45894fd3e39.jpg20201212_235113.thumb.jpg.228c2abd291f0dd499e50b1197675193.jpg

• Like 1

So the Audiolines sound absolutely terrible.

The upper bass drivers are wired to run full range configuration from the factory resulting in a very harsh sound and there is zero accoustic insulation or bracing inside the cabinets.

After some investigation I've also discovered that the tweeters are non original jaycar titanium dome tweeters.

As both bass drivers were already running parallel I rewired the upper driver to piggyback off of the lower driver which resulted in a drastic improvement but sound much flatter than I would expect from such large speakers. More gains can definitely be made, but I think I'm going to end up putting these in storage and just dragging them out for party speakers.

I'll see how they sound with some accoustic dampening and then decide weather they are worth any more attention.

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Managed to scoop up a pair of Orpheus Nexus 1.5 on ebay today, they'll be here on Sunday.

1004822305_2021-01-2912_53_03.png.d153ac707b045056b18e24939197004a.png

They have some swelling in the mdf cabinets, same as pretty much every speaker from the Nexus range I have managed to get my hands on.

I now have everything I need to start the build on the new cabinets for all my speakers. For the Orpheus the main construction will be identicle to the originals with a few changes to give them an updated look, and I will build some accessories to go with them to make the installation a bit cleaner.

The Syntax speakers will all be rebuilt to be used as the atmos channels, I rent my home so I can't mount permanent ceiling speakers so I need to build something removable, and upward firing speakers just arent doing it for me.

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 1

So much like Richter Harlequin Mkll's, same drivers at least, good drivers :thumb:

4 minutes ago, muon* said:

So much like Richter Harlequin Mkll's, same drivers at least, good drivers :thumb:

The designers from Orpheus and Richter are actually quite good friends 😉

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, warweary said:

Those subs make your tv seem tiny.

image.png.2cea29cd42c6e49fadb720646063cc6d.png

You're not wrong.

The new enclosures will have as minimal frontal area as possible.

Everything lined up and ready for restoration. Not included in this picture are the Nexus 1.5 being delivered tomorrow morning.

New cabinets, some drivers need new surrounds, dust caps, diaphrams, faceplates, or straight up replacement.

CS28S for my music system.

Nexus series are all for my home theatre speakers.

That Apollo based Syntax 5 channel surround set are being reworked to become my Atmos ceiling speakers (they are very cheap, practically worthless in resale but sound good enough for their destined purpose, not much worse than the real Apollo's).

Last of all, the subwoofers are getting better enclosures and soft start circuits for the amplifiers.

Everything in this picture except the subwoofers is a Brad Serhan design. 😊

20210130_201229.thumb.jpg.654b510c5f9ef1106bb34203d3cbf34d.jpg

• Like 6

Found these 1200x600x18mm dark acacia panels from bunnings. Will be making the face panels out of this, rest of the cabinets will be mdf painted black.

Cabinets will be finished with redleaf for the orpheus logos and then black candy clear over the lot. The wood grain and redleaf will look amazing through the tinted translucent finish.

1458391494_2021-01-3121_29_57.png.464a68ab7aadccad469d19da2109c96e.png

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

New couch was delivered on thursday, not bad for $250 on marketplace.

Decided to throw the whole system back together while I wait for the supplies for the new cabs to be delivered.

Have also decided that Ill be moving in 6 months, so things may slow down a little until then.

I know my placement isn't ideal, but there is very little room, once the subwoofer cabinets are replaced I'll have a little more space to play with.

20210211_170946.thumb.jpg.361008b01a033215adf4ef8061579e2d.jpg

20210213_141913.thumb.jpg.5d8f815cc4211c68bfef56225065e270.jpg

20210213_190732.thumb.jpg.913ac1080b8978a196135b4258de492d.jpg

• Like 3

Took a few days of setting up but finally done, I had to pick up some new cables and what not to get it all connected.

Ran calibration and then tweaked it by ear, watching Thor: Ragnarock is amazing now.

20210216_170845.thumb.jpg.760188367eb98a5e712f021632600db1.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've recieved the last parts I needed before I start repairing the turntable and making a new plinth for it.

Last piece needed to get my media server running is also on its way.

I have priced up all the materials to make the new speaker enclosures and it adds up to just shy of $400 without taking the price of tools into consideration (I needed to buy those anyway).

I'm also looking at taking one of my spare audax tweeter faceplates to a friend and having him spin me up some aluminium replacements on the lathe that keep the dispersion profile but don't look so... 80's/90's.

I may have to move house in around 6 months and I still have a car that needs to be put back together, so I have plenty to do 😂

Edited by DryftKult
  • Like 1