Ascension 3 way Stand Mount Bargain?

Guest deanB
1 hour ago, rocky500 said:

They were some of the best speakers I owned at the time in their price bracket and sounded better to me than new higher priced name brands that I put them against.

Agree with that observation. 

My budget wasn't limited at the time but once I'd listened to @jakestar Summoners (10inch bass model) with my old pre/amp for a few hours, I knew I'd found a sweet spot. And most importantly, a valve friendly one at that.

2 hours ago, jaypbee82 said:

In my experience Adelaide Speakers are bargains ?.

They have new higher end models in development that I'll be interested in checking out once released.

Hi jaypbee82,  You've heard some Adelaide Speakers?  If he's got some higher end models coming out, then he's got a few aces up his sleave and some of that  could get trickled down into his other models if asked for?

Guest deanB
33 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Hi jaypbee82,  You've heard some Adelaide Speakers?  If he's got some higher end models coming out, then he's got a few aces up his sleave and some of that  could get trickled down into his other models if asked for?

It's actually a revamp of the Transcender line which was 3 floorstander models at $7-9k. Very large and heavy.

Hopefully there'll be prototypes to demo, but it would require a trip to Adelaide.

1 hour ago, bryansamui said:

Hi bryansamui,

I've only experienced the one model that I owned, 8xx Summoner floorstander(can't remember actual model number) which retailed for around $1300-$1400.

It was a 3-way, it was by no means perfect(nor should it be for that money) but it embarrassed many other speakers when it came to bass, dynamics & outright entertainment. 

The question is if that's what he's $1400 speakers sound like, what do he's more expensive models sound like?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rantan said:

.........and this is their niche in the market. A decent speaker for limited budgets and those just beginning the journey and there is merit in that.

With that said, I think second hand is a better way to go and you can get something premium, well run in at a huge discount to new.

Yes I was prepared to take the chance on Adelaide speakers in the under 2K bracket without listening, just from so many people posting about them on the forums. I am so glad I did too!

But once I became interested in lifting my budget above 5K for speakers, I could not find much on personal opinions of the AS higher end ones. Also once budget goes up, there is so so much more choice from other brands out there that perform so well.

For well under 2K new, the Adelaide speakers have so much to offer, I would find it hard to pick another brand to get a similar performance and build for the $.

With Tekton, there was no real easy way to demo either but lots of opinions again on the sound from owners and had some previous models before, so knew the brand a little.

Took the plunge again and no regrets at all. I have had a good 20+ pairs of speakers go through my place too. Adelaide speakers where the ones to really get me back and enjoying this hobby in a big way.

Still rate them as one of my best bargains in my journey for what you pay and get out of them. Same with early days of Emotiva gear before they went to dealer networks.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jaypbee82 said:

Hi bryansamui,

I've only experienced the one model that I owned, 8xx Summoner floorstander(can't remember actual model number) which retailed for around $1300-$1400.

It was a 3-way, it was by no means perfect(nor should it be for that money) but it embarrassed many other speakers when it came to bass, dynamics & outright entertainment. 

The question is if that's what he's $1400 speakers sound like, what do he's more expensive models sound like?

Yes, I wonder if those $7K- $9k  will fare amoungst the competition?

Just spoke to a SNA member who has some  Summoners.. He moved on some Monitor Audio Silver 8's ($2990 ) in favour of Edwards Summoner  floorstanders  citing  More Accurate, Deeper and Faster  Bass and a More Natural Sound in  Edwards Speakers. Moved Summoners on for $10,000 speakers.

Unfortunately our hobby is fraught with so much snake oil and overpriced product.. I laugh :;$1500 Magic Mats, $15,000 interconnects,CD Pens to reduce laser reflections, little bowls to stick on the walls of your listening room,etc  and the claims from the shills. using expressions like "night and day difference", "jaw dropping improvement" and when someone questions the nonsense, all hell breaks loose and people get all worked up about it. Very entertaining but a lot of us are dead set mad.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 13/04/2020 at 3:45 PM, allthumbs said:

I have a pair of 2 way-sealed monitors from the Woodfox series built by Edward a few years ago. SB woofer and Vifa Bullet tweeter.

It was custom made though I think if I remember correctly Edward is a fan of transmission line designs so maybe the sealed enclosure design was a little out of his line of expertise. 

The speakers wore thin with me after a while and I had Paul Spencer of Red Spade audio design and build new crossovers as the speaker box and drivers were not bad quality.

Paul is old school taking measurements of the original speaker face up to the sky at the top of long pole and continued to do so as he developed the 4th order crossover, one each for the tweeter and woofer for each of the two speakers.

Turned something relatively ordinary into something pretty damn special and was able to maximize the inherent capabilities of the drivers & box and fashion them into a wonderful infinite baffle speaker, coherent and smooth top to bottom.

Hi allthumbs, I’m looking to set up my theatre with custom speakers from Edward.   Currently choosing tweeters.  
You mentioned the Vifa tweeter in your monitors.   Do you know the exact model of this tweeter?  
Cheers, Geoff

11 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Hi Geoff,

I am pretty sure it was the Vifa/Peerless: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/vifa-xt25tg30-04-1-ring-radiator-tweeter/

Cheers

Great, thanks.  

Are you happy with its performance at high sound levels?  

Not suggesting that it is lacking in any way.  I want high SPL in the theatre and many tweeters just can't do it.  

Cheers

On 12/04/2020 at 10:09 PM, bryansamui said:

Ascension M823SQ   3 way studio monitors? Opinions?

I don't have these monitors but I do have Edward's 863SQTL (Summoner transmission line floorstander) and matching 253SQ Center speaker in my HT room and they are really good. Up until I got these, I always felt, there was something missing and kept upgrading and looking at other speakers to replace. But after this, I am done with my HT setup. Everything is just good about these speakers. Bass is amazing and goes really low and I have been running them as Large with no bass crossovers.

25 minutes ago, :) Go Away (: said:

I don't have these monitors but I do have Edward's 863SQTL (Summoner transmission line floorstander) and matching 253SQ Center speaker in my HT room and they are really good. Up until I got these, I always felt, there was something missing and kept upgrading and looking at other speakers to replace. But after this, I am done with my HT setup. Everything is just good about these speakers. Bass is amazing and goes really low and I have been running them as Large with no bass crossovers.

Sounds great.  Do you know which wave guide tweeter Edward used in your speakers?  

34 minutes ago, bigkahuna_gw said:

Sounds great.  Do you know which wave guide tweeter Edward used in your speakers?  

Mine weren't custom made, they are as advertised on the site. In other words, no I do not know which specific tweeter was used.

""Summoner 863SQTL 3-way transmission line hybrid

floor speakers, 1020h x 240w x 310d in white non-

veneer finish, 8 ohms, 8” SB Acoustics bass driver,

SB Acoustics 5” midrange, smooth 25mm soft dome

wave guide tweeter, high order series crossover, and

gold spikes (no charge).""

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af682031764424_ScreenShot2020-09-07at9_51_10am.thumb.png.b3c0aab184d5733dd94248ecbe739e0e.png

Edited by :) Go Away (:

7 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Unfortunately I am the wrong guy to answer that question as my listening levels are low to moderate.

I've had these Custom order 825sq for a few months now.. Completely unfatiging at High Volume.. Absolutely no " Ice Pick in the ear" so Polar opposite to Focal, Monitor Audio, B&W, Horns Klipsch etc.. These are ideal as High Volume if that's what you are looking for.    These saw a $8500 pair of Martin Logan Electrostatics 'The Door' because while the Martin Logans were incredibly revealing,they were too demanding to listen too for long periods. These Ascensions are not far behind in detail retrieval and do i suppose lack the ultimate speed on transients (Being a box speaker) but i still ultimately prefer them.. Better more tuneful Bass, sweet detailed mid, Wider sweet spot, no fatigue with that tweeter.. I auditioned speakers up to $4000  and none were as good probably because at $4000 you couldn't expect SB acoustics NRX drivers which these have.. Also Edward is a " Master of the Transmission Line" which few manufacturers attempt because of the complexity of the design, opting for the lazy designers way and use the simple (and highly profitable) bass reflex design . Calling Edward "An Average speaker designer" is like calling Michelangelo "An Average Painter" 

IMG_20200905_082133.jpg

IMG_20200905_082059.jpg

Edited by bryansamui
spelling
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, bryansamui said:

I've had these Custom order 825sq for a few months now.. Completely unfatiging at High Volume.. Absolutely no " Ice Pick in the ear" so Polar opposite to Focal, Monitor Audio, B&W, Horns Klipsch etc.. These are ideal as High Volume if that's what you are looking for.    These saw a $8500 pair of Martin Logan Electrostatics 'The Door' because while the Martin Logans were incredibly revealing,they were too demanding to listen too for long periods. These Ascensions are not far behind in detail retrieval and do i suppose lack the ultimate speed on transients (Being a box speaker) but i still ultimately prefer them.. Better more tuneful Bass, sweet detailed mid, Wider sweet spot, no fatigue with that tweeter.. I auditioned speakers up to $4000  and none were as good probably because at $4000 you couldn't expect SB acoustics NRX drivers which these have.. Also Edward is a " Master of the Transmission Line" which few manufacturers attempt because of the complexity of the design, opting for the lazy designers way and use the simple (and highly profitable) bass reflex design . Calling Edward "An Average speaker designer" is like calling Michelangelo "An Average Painter" 

IMG_20200905_082133.jpg

IMG_20200905_082059.jpg

Damn! They look lovely!!!! Congrats!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

Damn! They look lovely!!!! Congrats!

Thanks.. With the quality of the drivers, I would not like to 'Hazard a quess' to how much they'd cost if they  were imported, attracted Import duty, plus a distributor margin and then a retailer margin.... They wouldn't be cheap.. We are so lucky to have this manufacturer sell direct and have him local. 

• Like 2