Exxie

Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 Crossover Issue

Hi all,

My CC-690 recently started sounding awful (tinny/vibration), and with the current travel restrictions, I thought I'd open it up and have a look. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong, so I just re-seated the mechanical connections at the drivers and crossovers.

In testing, I came across the following odd behaviour:

- With only the upper range (top binding posts) connected, the tweeter/midrange assembly works as expected (woofers silent)

- With only the lower range (bottom binding posts) connected, the 4 woofers work as expected (tweeter assembly silent)

- When both sets of binding posts are connected (using either bi-wire cables or the supplied links), only the tweeter assembly works (woofers are silent)

I can't understand how this is possible as the top binding posts appear to be wired directly to the tweeter assembly's crossover and the bottom posts to the main crossover (which directly drives the 4 woofers).

In this photo, the purple/black pair of wires go directly to the tweeter's crossover:

IMG_20200412_154121.thumb.jpg.ec23f742aaee62535a8eeb2f5bbd4ea8.jpg

If anyone with more knowledge of speaker design could help me to understand what's going on (and ultimately, to fix the speaker!), that would be fantastic. This is doing my head in!

Thanking you all in advance.

Just an update for anyone interested or who might be having similar issues.

Today I completely removed the crossover and it turned out the one of the lower binding posts was not properly soldered to it. The behaviour described above was due to the weight of the speaker cable applying downward pressure to the post and breaking the circuit. Somehow, when only the lower posts were connected, it worked consistently (still haven't quite worked that part out yet).

In any case, this is now fixed and I hope it may help someone else. A multimeter was very helpful.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Phil sydney
      Item: paradigm reference/studio tribute speakers
      Price Range: depends on age/condition
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:

Hi everyone..Let me know if u have any of the above speakers . Would consider prestige as well. 
      Looking for a gloss finish not ash.

Than q😉
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By rick-sub
      Item Condition: Very Good - small mark on one speaker Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Albury State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash Reason for selling: Downsizing Further information: 
      30th Anniversary Paradigm Tribute floorstanding speakers. 
      Note small mark on one speaker(see photos) otherwise excellent condition.

Specifications
      DESIGN:   5-driver, 3-way floorstanding
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE ON-AXIS:   ±2dB from 43 Hz - 45 kHz
      HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER:   25-mm (1 in) P-Be™ pure-beryllium dome. Ferro-fluid damped and cooled. Neodymium magnet. IMS-SHOCK/MOUNT™ on cabinets
      MIDRANGE FREQUENCY DRIVER:   178-mm (7 in) black-anodized pure-aluminum cone, synthetic butyl surround, 38-mm (1-1/2 in) voice coil, AVS™ die-cast heatsink chassis. IMS-SHOCK/MOUNT™ on cabinets and baffle
      LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER:   Three 178-mm (7 in) mineral-filled polypropylene bass cones, patented overmolded NLC™ non-limiting corrugated Santoprene® thermoplastic vulcanizate (TPV) surround, 38-mm (1-1/2 in) voice coil, AVS™ die-cast heatsink chassis. IMS-SHOCK/ MOUNT™ on cabinets and baffle
      SENSITIVITY ROOM / ANECHOIC:   93 dB / 90 dB
      IMPEDANCE:   Compatible with 8 ohms
      FINISHES:   Hand-polished Dark Garnet Gloss
      WEIGHT:   41.8 kg
      DIMENSIONS HxWxD  113.0cm × 31.6cm × 40.6cm
      LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION:   24 Hz (DIN)
      CROSSOVER:   3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.2 kHz; 3rd-order electro-acoustic at 200 Hz (bass drivers).
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE 30° OFF-AXIS:   ±2dB from 43 Hz - 20 kHz
      SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE:   15 - 350 watts
      MAXIMUM INPUT POWER:   230 watts

Photos:

• By untca
      Item Condition: Great used condition Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Lake Macquarie State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: A bit big for the room Further information:

nice set of paradigms in great condition. Sound great, drivers and tweeters working as expected. They are large so you will need to pick these up.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Primare Knob
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: 3782 State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal (friend or +3%), EFT, Cash, Reason for selling: NLR Further information: Up for sale are my 2 (small factor) subwoofers. These have a 12" down firing woofer with two 10" passive radiators on the side.
      Items can be split, and one of them has some more markings on the top than the other and will be cheaper priced. They both have build in EQ but you need to buy the paradigm PBK mic to be able to use it. (not included)
      Both can be shipped into their original packaging.
      Specifications can be found here https://www.paradigm.com/en/sealed/ultracube-12

Thanks to its design and use of passive radiators (also makes for great handles for carrying) these are rather small in size which makes them easy to fit into a common living room,
      and having 2 subs you are better equipped to deal with room modes, and you get a 6dB increase,  compared to one sub.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By CMAN
      Item Condition: Used. In good working and aesthetic condition. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ermington State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Moving Overseas Further information: 
      Bought brand new from Life Style Store in Y2015. 
      For Specs, please refer to https://www.paradigm.com/en/sealed/se-sub

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.