Desktop Speakers - $1000 ish

Have Audioengine 2+ at the moment. They are ok. Small and clean, sound ok. Bit of a hum when powered on.

What are some options to look at? New or used.

KEF LSX

Kanto TUK / YU6

Genelec 8010

Other suggestions?

Needs to be quiet when on, no hum/static, and sound good at low volumes. They'll sit real close to me too.

Edited by Bengineer

Thanks guys. Look into them!

Two important aspects would be

1. Quiet noise floor when on.

2. Sound good at low volumes, real close to me.

Oh and doesn't need a DAC, can just be active ones with analogue in.

Edited by Bengineer

52 minutes ago, Satirical said:

Where are you finding LSX for $1k?

sold mine for $1100 just the other week, brand new there is a 20% promo off atm with bonus desk stands. Also saw a pair of LS50W in the classifieds for a little over 2K which was a bargain

On 16/04/2020 at 8:02 AM, Bengineer said:

Yeah, $1400.ish new with free stands.

Hmm, shows up as $1596 for me still.

In a similar situation as yourself, looking for speakers (desktop use so near field I guess) for up to $1k , just trying not to exceed that budgeted spending money too much. $1596 for the LSX from their official store is still too much of an ask, $1100 would've been 'passable' . The pickings for used are slim here and the deals that do show up pretty much disappear unless you sit there refreshing all day. Missed out on some Monitor Audio Gold GX50 bookshelf that were $600 on Gumtree the other day. 

I've also seen some Triangle Esprit Hydas for $899 and Triangle Esprit Titus for $850 ex-demos but I'm not sure how good those are as desktop sets.

EDIT: Ended up with a pair of Dynaudios

Edited by Satirical

I second the Dynaudio LYD 5s. The vast majority of so-called desktop monitors do not deliver an even frequency response with desktop placement, and only result in frustration for the listener. The Dyns are very well designed and the inbuilt DSP allows for flexibility of placement. 

P.S. Avoid the latest KEFs in all but the most balanced of listening rooms. 

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Any active monitors that are a bit more consumer friendly? Front on/off, volume etc 

The Focal 50 looks awesome but everything is on the back...

Adam audio A5x and Focal CMS 50 (discontinued)

I've been looking for powered desktop speakers for a PC based recording setup.

While doing research I came across this YouTube channel yesterday called Digital Stereophony.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-MKyxKdanxpOBTx8wiY1w

What the person that runs the site does it pit two different speakers of roughly the same price range and/or speaker size, and plays 5 different types of music on them.[all powered monitors]

All the speakers are mounted at the same place and with two mics recording their output.

The video then plays the signal direct and then does several rounds of comparison of the speakers playing back the same music, this is done for all 5 types of music.

The measured frequency response of each speakers is also shown in comparison.

It's really well done

The real beauty is the consistency of the tests, and the fact that he will pit one speaker against several others over several video's.

So it make it easier to sort of pick a favorite, and then look for other speakers it's been pitted against.

The video below was a really shock to me.[Put some good headphones on]

It pits the Presonus ER15 8 XT  currently AUS$895 pair, against the very much smaller iK Multimedia iLoud  MTM, which are sold individually, but come with a mic for calibration, there is some serous DSP going on with these, currently are around AUS $1300 pair, if you can find anybody who has any in stock [VERY popular with musicians it would seem]

I'll take a wild guess and say most on this forum will fall in love with the Tannoy GOLD 8 around $650 each I think, again noby seems to have any stock ATM, they also make two smaller gold models, but as yet they haven't been tested / Video'd

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1