Hi all, just wondering if anyone has been using one of these new DV carts and what their thoughts are. I have not used a MC cart before and am thinking of upgrading my Ortofon 2m Black. I have read that DV carts are a good match with Rega TT's. I am running a highly modded P-25 through a Cary PH302 Mk2 phono. Would this phono handle the low output of this cartridge as well. Look forward to the responses. Cheers

Your choice...whilst excellent...is a finicky one to set up due to the extremely short cantilever....

I would recommend an either an XX2 or an Audio Technica ART or OC line...I own a 2M Black as well as an ATOC9ml2 and as good as the Black is the ml2  just gives that MC "feel" .....

Have fun...

Tase.

• Like 2

I am just about to pull the pin and order one, had an original many moons ago, simply awesome 

IMO no harder to set up than others, the cantilever  is short but also typically straight to the cart body 

• Like 3

The set up doesn't concern me, I am patient enough to handle that. A lot of people say the 2M black is finicky to set up as well but I had no problems with that and I also set one up on a mates Thorens. If the performance of the cart exceeds that of the 2M Black in leaps and bounds then I will be more than happy. The 2M black is a very good cart and has given me many hours of joy compared to a 2m red and a rega exact. Just trying to make sure that the extra investment is going to be worth it.  Thanks for the comments so far.

1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

I am just about to pull the pin and order one

Where abouts are you looking to buy from? Down here they are going for $2540.00

I have 17d2 running on sp10mk 2 with a rb301 with many mods (rewired, end stub, counterweight and vta base) vta adjustable is really needed for this cartridge but rega arm really suites.

I've used a 2m black on modded p3 a while ago so didn't make a side by side comparison but from memory it would be a big difference

20200326_121645.jpg

20200326_142223.jpg

• Like 3

I have the 17d3 and love it. I had someone set it up for me. The cantilever is tiny and you do need good eyesight. 

Jonathan Davies still has some stock (I think this is the last one).  Any new carts will be going up in price once the stock sells and he has to import new stock. 

https://www.jdaudioonline.com.au/product/dynavector-dv-17d3/

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone is still following this, just an update. Pulled the trigger on a dx and got it up and running today. Initially I didn't think it was much better than the 2m black but after on two records it was quite apparent that this cart is extremely musical and pulls great detail from the vinyl. It tracks like it's on rails and the quiet passages are inky black. It is really detailed through the entire spectrum. I've only played DS - love over gold and Sade- Promise and what I'm hearing makes me want to play all the records in my collection. Could be a long night lol. It was a lot of coin to outlay for me but I am not disappointed with the result. The black is a great cart but the DV is a fantastic cart, as it should be for the cost. Buy once cry once. I think it will only improve with more hours on it. Can't wait. 

20200503_183612.jpg

• Like 9

Looks great and glad it’s given you the upgrade you were looking for. I’m also contemplating a new cart and Dynavector is a possibility. I checked the specs on your phono stage and I believe the maximum MC gain was 60db. Assuming by your write - up that this was enough ?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sceeta said:

If anyone is still following this, just an update. Pulled the trigger on a dx and got it up and running today. Initially I didn't think it was much better than the 2m black but after on two records it was quite apparent that this cart is extremely musical and pulls great detail from the vinyl. It tracks like it's on rails and the quiet passages are inky black. It is really detailed through the entire spectrum. I've only played DS - love over gold and Sade- Promise and what I'm hearing makes me want to play all the records in my collection. Could be a long night lol. It was a lot of coin to outlay for me but I am not disappointed with the result. The black is a great cart but the DV is a fantastic cart, as it should be for the cost. Buy once cry once. I think it will only improve with more hours on it. Can't wait. 

20200503_183612.jpg

Thanks for the update. How f did you going with the setup?  What tonearm are you using?

Edited by PKay
1 hour ago, Goatboy said:

Looks great and glad it’s given you the upgrade you were looking for. I’m also contemplating a new cart and Dynavector is a possibility. I checked the specs on your phono stage and I believe the maximum MC gain was 60db. Assuming by your write - up that this was enough ?

Hi, yes plenty of grunt in the phono, running at same volume levels as I was with the mm cart. Lots of detail in the dv. Just playing dsotm at the moment and it's amazing.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, PKay said:

Thanks for the update. How f did you going with the setup?  What tonearm are you using?

Setup was pretty easy albeit a little fiddly.  I've got a magnifier app on my phone that I use and it makes it alot easier. Definitely harder to setup than the black though. I've got it on an rb600 arm so this cart is right at the top end of its range but I've also got a gt underslung counter weight so just put on the 150 gram weights and all is good. I use the counter weight to set vtf and have the vtf dial cranked all the way past 3. Apparently this removes any unwanted resonance from the spring. Dunno if it does or not but that's how I do it and it works well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2020 at 6:18 PM, PKay said:

I have the 17d3 and love it. I had someone set it up for me. The cantilever is tiny and you do need good eyesight. 

Jonathan Davies still has some stock (I think this is the last one).  Any new carts will be going up in price once the stock sells and he has to import new stock. 

https://www.jdaudioonline.com.au/product/dynavector-dv-17d3/

I have a lot of carts and also a 17D3, it is good but not worth the money IMO. My Decca super gold blows it out of the water.

Chris

42 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

I have a lot of carts and also a 17D3, it is good but not worth the money IMO. My Decca super gold blows it out of the water.

Chris

Thanks for your opinion Chris.  It would be great if you could be a bit more specific and elaborate on the areas where the Decca is superior? I would think they both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I wonder how much of the difference is also attributed to your system - it would be helpful to know what your deck/arm and phono stage are. 

I have always been intrigued by the reviews I have read on the Super Gold and welcome the opinion of a SNA member.  I would love to hear the Super Gold one day.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, PKay said:

Thanks for your opinion Chris.  It would be great if you could be a bit more specific and elaborate on the areas where the Decca is superior? I would think they both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I wonder how much of the difference is also attributed to your system - it would be helpful to know what your deck/arm and phono stage are. 

I have always been intrigued by the reviews I have read on the Super Gold and welcome the opinion of a SNA member.  I would love to hear the Super Gold one day.

7 turntables, SP10mk2 with Eminent Technology air arm, Sl1200G, sl1210mk2 modified, Commonwealth 12d3 ,Lenco gl78, Orpheus Silex. Commonwealth has a 12 inch Jelco the Orpheus has a Hadcock. Amps are vatiosu, valve stuff is a Conrad Premier 4 with Premier 3 pre, I have a few class A transistor, but what I use most is a 185wpc Mosfet I built heavily biased into class A with a DNM preamp which is an amazing preamp love it.

Speakers are ATC scm 100's and listening room is purpose built my life dream came true about 5 years ago when I built a soundproof 9mx8m listening room.

Ok your question what is the difference between the two carts.  I can be more specific with this, I have about 60 carts, many MC around the 2k mark and bunch of MM and MI some very special ones in both MI and MM all are good, but there is "the rest" then there is the Super Gold.

The Dynavector is not a bad cart, but raised in tops, but fast and ok bass a nice cart. Then there is the super gold... You just turned off the hifi and walking into a concert and sat in the best seats in the house. The Decca is live there the others are hifi. Super Gold is a jaw dropping listen, I remember my first listen of a super Gold it is not critical listening even if that is what you wanted to do. Most people only one word after first listen to a super gold on a good system and that word is WOW!!

It is hard to explain, but the track finishes and you see people on the edge of their  seat with mouth open.

Old Decca from 80's (now London) had bad QC, not the case now but mud sticks. Also with Decca the tieback (basically suspension) used to go slack (again old problem not now) and the cart would bottom out and make the thing resonate and sound terrible. People and internet wisdom decided these carts were finicky and needed special arms etc. All nonsense the cart was just 30 years old and needed a service.

Anyway new ones are scary good, easy to set up and reliable too AND cheaper than a new Dynavector and several levels better than the Dynavector

Chris

Edited by cafe latte
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

7 turntables, SP10mk2 with Eminent Technology air arm, Sl1200G, sl1210mk2 modified, Commonwealth 12d3 ,Lenco gl78, Orpheus Silex. Commonwealth has a 12 inch Jelco the Orpheus has a Hadcock. Amps are vatiosu, valve stuff is a Conrad Premier 4 with Premier 3 pre, I have a few class A transistor, but what I use most is a 185wpc Mosfet I built heavily biased into class A with a DNM preamp which is an amazing preamp love it.

Speakers are ATC scm 100's and listening room is purpose built my life dream came true about 5 years ago when I built a soundproof 9mx8m listening room.

Ok your question what is the difference between the two carts.  I can be more specific with this, I have about 60 carts, many MC around the 2k mark and bunch of MM and MI some very special ones in both MI and MM all are good, but there is "the rest" then there is the Super Gold.

The Dynavector is not a bad cart, but raised in tops, but fast and ok bass a nice cart. Then there is the super gold... You just turned off the hifi and walking into a concert and sat in the best seats in the house. The Decca is live there the others are hifi. Super Gold is a jaw dropping listen, I remember my first listen of a super Gold it is not critical listening even if that is what you wanted to do. Most people only one word after first listen to a super gold on a good system and that word is WOW!!

It is hard to explain, but the track finishes and you see people on the edge of their  seat with mouth open.

Old Decca from 80's (now London) had bad QC, not the case now but mud sticks. Also with Decca the tieback (basically suspension) used to go slack (again old problem not now) and the cart would bottom out and make the thing resonate and sound terrible. People and internet wisdom decided these carts were finicky and needed special arms etc. All nonsense the cart was just 30 years old and needed a service.

Anyway new ones are scary good, easy to set up and reliable too AND cheaper than a new Dynavector and several levels better than the Dynavector

Chris

Thanks Chris, your observations are very helpful. How do you think the cart would match up with an Audio Origami PU7? My understanding was that they are better suited to damped unipivot tonearms. 

Just now, PKay said:

Thanks Chris, your observations are very helpful. How do you think the cart would match up with an Audio Origami PU7? My understanding was that they are better suited to damped unipivot tonearms. 

As long as compliance is a match they will be fine. This is what I was eluding to re the tieback issues with old Decca. When tieback goes loose the cantilever (well sort of cantilever kind of a angled very short thing with only stylus tip poking out) bottoms out making the cart sound like a little speaker resonating with vibrations. Internet BS decide that means the arm is wrong and the cart needs a really damped arm or a unipivot.  I have used mine on my sl1210mk2, my sl1200G, my Eminent Technology air arm, my Jelco and actually not on my Hadcock which is a uni so I have only used mine on the opposite :) 

In good serviced or new condition they work fine on loads of arms this arm issues really is just internet armchair exerts.. The Super Gold is full of damping goop so the cart itself is well damped so needed nothing special, but the Decca pod is worthwhile as the standard plastic mount is kind of crappy for such an amazing cart.

Chris

1 hour ago, cafe latte said:

DNM preamp which is an amazing preamp love it.

Plus 1 to that mate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cafe latte said:

The Decca is live there the others are hifi.

The Continuum Turntable is like that. No explanation (in HiFi terms) to how it sounds. It just IS!

28 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

The Continuum Turntable is like that. No explanation (in HiFi terms) to how it sounds. It just IS!

Off topic gotta ask the dogs names :)

Mine is Pluto :) 

Chris

In my system the dx is a perfect match. It tracks like it's on rails and records that had a lot of surface noise ans sibilence with the 2m black are now almost deathly quiet. I am more than happy with the result and maybe the cart just matches the rega arm. Definitely going to have this cart for a long time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sceeta said:

In my system the dx is a perfect match. It tracks like it's on rails and records that had a lot of surface noise ans sibilence with the 2m black are now almost deathly quiet. I am more than happy with the result and maybe the cart just matches the rega arm. Definitely going to have this cart for a long time.

The Dynavector are good carts, just saying that with 60 carts i have it is not close to the best, not a bad cart, just not a great one.

Chris

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

The Dynavector are good carts, just saying that with 60 carts i have it is not close to the best, not a bad cart, just not a great one.

Chris

60 cartridges - WOW!!  :o

Andy

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, andyr said:

60 cartridges - WOW!!  :o

Andy

Yes bit of a cart a holic :)  I bought 3 in last couple of months.

Chris

its a hobby :)  love my hifi 

Edited by cafe latte
16 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Off topic gotta ask the dogs names :)

Mine is Pluto :) 

Chris

The Black ones Panda,

The Tan ones Ninka. She;s bigger then Panda now. Half English/American Staffie. Panda's a 30 kg English Staffie.😀

• Like 1
20 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Chris

You've obviously got some nice gear there Chris. I like to keep things simple. I'd be like a dog with 60 dicks with that many choices. I have to share my addictions between hifi, guns and cars. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, plato8010 said:

Yes mine sounds excellent !!

20200603_170448.jpg

20200603_190232.jpg

How long have you had yours for?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, plato8010 said:

20200603_190232.jpg

Aah a Dynavector arm!  :thumb:  DV507?  (I had a DV505 for 20-odd years.)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, plato8010 said:

20200603_170448.jpg

20200603_190232.jpg

How long have you had yours for?

7 minutes ago, plato8010 said:

The arm is a 507 mk2. I also had a 505 back in the 80's.

My DV505 was installed on my LP12 in 1979 by Graeme Rodwell of 'The Soundcraftsman' - as he thought it was the best arm available at that time.  Although, interestingly enough, Graeme modded these DV505s by replacing the bearings - as he said they got ruined by being transported in the cargo holds of aircraft delivering them from Japan.  :o

He also said he altered the offset angle - though looking at your pics, I don't see how he did this ... unless the 505 is different to the 507?  (Graeme preferred the Baerwald alignment to the Stevenson that DV used.)

Andy

• Love 1

@plato8010how does the XX2 compare? I’m thinking the mk2 with the larger cantilever will eventually be my replacement cart. 

Posted (edited)

The dx is better than the XX2 MKII.  I was told that the XX2 mkI is better than the MKII.

Edited by plato8010
22 hours ago, plato8010 said:

The dx is better than the XX2 MKII.  I was told that the XX2 mkI is better than the MKII.

How does the dx compare with the XV-1?