Irek

Schiit Loki analogue equaliser

5 minutes ago, SangeethSamrat said:

Born in India and settled in Australia. Have tons of North Indian and South Indian film music. Country had produced a shitload of poor quality recordings in 80's and 90's. Cant even compare the quality with same age Western music.  

Tweaking the tones does produce a better listening experience on them,

Schiit Loki will be delivered tomorrow... Yeahhh......

Share your thoughts after tomorrow please. 

8 minutes ago, Irek said:

Share your thoughts after tomorrow please. 

Sure thing 🙂

On 20/04/2020 at 8:26 AM, bryansamui said:

I have a recording studio... Here's the rub on the Shiit Loki or any other 'Studio Grade EQ'.. 

If you listen to exclusively Audiophile recordings through your nice gear, you probably don't want or need an outboard EQ.. If you have a lot of say rock stuff that is bright or boomy, EQ can help dramatically ( salt & pepper to taste) A high quality Studio EQ will not add any audible distortion or noise floor to your sound and  these are used in every studio in the world which is (with respect) more exacting than your listening room.. Furthermore, that "Poorly Recorded Album" is not poorly recorded.. The engineer did not have a 'Tin Ear'. He/She had to mix it for Home, Car, In Walls, In ceilings, ear buds, headphones etc. An impossible task! It was all a compromise situation.. He wasn't mixing it for your stereo with Martin Logan Panels per se . If  a recording was for example a 70's /80's Rock /Pop recording, it would have been probably mixed on Yamaha NS10 monitors (industy standard) in 'His' room using 'His' ears. He  is a professional and did a good job. Your room sounds different and the EQ response of 'Your Ears' is different. A Shiit Loki may be the answer to EQ your ears to his ears... Just make sure you don't buy a Studio quality Dual 31 Band EQ.. You won't know where to start with it, and  you will be way out if your depth with it because your ears will be nowhere as educated as that engineers ears that mixed that "Poorly recorded album". 

No one criticized an engineers ears education nor mentioned poorly recorded albums.

I'm looking for a used Loki if anyone has one sitting around unused! :)

2 hours ago, tuyen said:

I'm looking for a used Loki if anyone has one sitting around unused! :)

These are relatively new items so are less likely to become available pre-owned.  However, sites like Gumtree and eBay have lots of old graphic equalizers (of varying quality levels) for cheap.

4 hours ago, audiofeline said:

These are relatively new items so are less likely to become available pre-owned.  However, sites like Gumtree and eBay have lots of old graphic equalizers (of varying quality levels) for cheap.

Spotted this cheaper Studio Unit. Parametric EQ. True Bypass, 0.03 THD, low noise.. Parametric is more suited than a fixed eq as you can dial in 3 different areas of EQ you wish to cut or boost of 'Your Choosing' .. ( not locked in to the Loki's pre determined bands) You can decide also how wide  those bands are too(bandwidth) Also on this one you have 2 'notch frequencies so you can Surgically cut or boost 2 problem frequencies. More flexable than a Graphic EQ. The only thing I didn't like was a single Stereo input on the rear(not 2 monos) It has 2 monos out as expected. Need adapter to accomodate RCA' s.. Other than that issue it has a ton more flexibility than the Loki. 

Screenshot_2020-04-21-20-37-53.jpg

The adapters for RCA's would be easy to make, probably common to buy. 

Yes, it is much more sophisticated than the Loki and a graphic eq, but it also requires a greater technical understanding to use.  The Loki's simple for a novice.

6 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

The adapters for RCA's would be easy to make, probably common to buy. 

Yes, it is much more sophisticated than the Loki and a graphic eq, but it also requires a greater technical understanding to use.  The Loki's simple for a novice.

Yes Audiofeline.. Spot on. Loki  is easy to use and looks less Industrial which is important for many.. This is still not too hard to use... What will do your head in is a 31 band graphic! You can spend a lifetime getting around that one! 

12 hours ago, bryansamui said:

Yes Audiofeline.. Spot on. Loki  is easy to use and looks less Industrial which is important for many.. This is still not too hard to use... What will do your head in is a 31 band graphic! You can spend a lifetime getting around that one!

A 31-band graphic eq is good in the hands of someone who has the knowledge and ear to be able to use one (similar to the parametric eq).  They are excellent in studios and for live sound production.  But overkill for most in a home hifi to tweak different recordings.  For that a 10 or 12-band would give fine tuning.  And there are a number of 5 or 6-band graphic eq's that greater basic tone control than the Loki (however, these tend to be at the lower end of the quality scale). 

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

A 31-band graphic eq is good in the hands of someone who has the knowledge and ear to be able to use one (similar to the parametric eq).  They are excellent in studios and for live sound production.  But overkill for most in a home hifi to tweak different recordings.  For that a 10 or 12-band would give fine tuning.  And there are a number of 5 or 6-band graphic eq's that greater basic tone control than the Loki (however, these tend to be at the lower end of the quality scale). 

Yes.. Loki is the one to use i think.. You'd think they'd others but as you point out they are cheap quality ( noisy) 

As a Loki owner (with a few, ok more than a few) other Schiit products, I'll add my 2 cents.

I am a huge metal fan, which anyone with a taste leaning this way will know, has plenty of poor quality and/or over mastered recordings going around. I got a Loki to tone down some of the bright high ends on some albums. Yes it works. I have A-B'ed it a length from bypass to EQ controls all in the 12 o'clock (zero) position, and I am unable to hear a difference in the sound when switching, so I am pretty happy that when not in use it is not degrading the signal.

A mate who is a vinyl fan got one after having a lend of mine, and he finds it useful when listening to some older records he had. 

picked up a klark teknik sq1g 30band recently. love it. less listening to audiophile recordings and back to indie/folk/pop records which usually are too hot on a half decent hifi system.  

still looking for a used loki to play with though!

697AF35D-210F-407B-B9D3-BC8ACE7EB5F7.jpeg