Midbass suggestions for compact bookshelf speakers.

Hi all, first post here so I hope this is in  the correct spot.

I am planning on building some compact ported bookshelf speakers in the 8-10L range, initially it was going to be a budget build but that seems to be changing as I do more reading.

I have a Hifiberry Beocreate amp/DSP which will only give me about 40W continuous at 4 Ohms for the mids and 20W or so for the tweeters.

Tweeters at the moment are looking like BlieSma T34A-4.
Mids I was looking at the SEAS Prestige Titan L16RNX3 but their low efficiency and 8Ohm impedance would limit the output quite a bit.

Would you good people have any suggestions on a mid that will have an f3 of 50Hz or better in a ported 8L enclosure and still sound somewhat decent?

If possible, I'd like to buy something that is mostly made in house rather than just farming work out or assembling a bunch of far eastern products and labeling it made in XYZ.

This will be one of my first speaker builds, my first failed miserably and my cheapish 12V BT speaker with Dayton drivers sounded somewhat decent.

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Noobtastic

It all depends on what SPL you expect to get out of it.

Your requirements are a very tough ask.

You could check out the anarchy 5 and 6 inch drivers, which are availabel through DIYsoundgroup.

Thanks for the reply Dave they are very competitively priced aren't they?! Sadly postage would be almost as much as the drivers themselves.

I just spotted the Fostex FW 168 HS and they don't seem to model too poorly, sadly the local importer only has the superseded model. They do stock the FOSTEX FW168HR which would blow the budget out and increase the box volume to 14L, it still wouldn't play as low as the Seas Prestige in an 8L enclosure.

• 11 months later...

Very late reply but I ended up with some Scan-Speak Illuminators in 5" 4Ohm, they seem okay for the task but I wish I had have bought the 4" Purifi drivers.

I am yet to set up a final EQ curve, need to have a practice with the Dayton Omnimic thingy as I am yet to use it.