Sign in to follow this  
Krumlov

S-Video Converter

Hi all,

Just fixed my Laserdisc player yesterday (home isolation has to be good for something!) and have hooked it up to my RX-V3085 via composite. The LD player has S-video out but unfortunately the AVR does not accept that (can't believe it doesn't have one input!). Anybody know of any converter to HDMI or component that works reliably. I am looking for a noticeable improvement in the PQ over the composite connection. Budget is < $100. I can google a bunch of options but really want a solid recommendation as I have purchased stuff in the past that never worked properly (eg. HDMI splitters with my old avr).

Thanks!

If I recall correctly from long ago,the red/white/yellow rcas outs were same quality output as the S video output?not sure how to confirm though it has been a while !

Hmmm...Just did some googling and you may be right. The modern comb filters should outperform my trusty LD players. At the time the reverse was true!

11 hours ago, Krumlov said:

Hi all,

Just fixed my Laserdisc player yesterday (home isolation has to be good for something!) and have hooked it up to my RX-V3085 via composite. The LD player has S-video out but unfortunately the AVR does not accept that (can't believe it doesn't have one input!). Anybody know of any converter to HDMI or component that works reliably. I am looking for a noticeable improvement in the PQ over the composite connection. Budget is < $100. I can google a bunch of options but really want a solid recommendation as I have purchased stuff in the past that never worked properly (eg. HDMI splitters with my old avr).

Thanks!

You want an s-video to component converter Krumlov ; composite even with the best comb filters cant compete with s-video due to the complete separation of luminance/chrominance iirc . s video is almost as good as component ..

You would need something like this if you dont want conversion in the box but letting the yammie do it instead ;

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Video-Component-Video-Converter/dp/B01GW8UE18

These are very thin on the ground as everyone uses digital these days ; I would try instead though something like the cablechicks hdmi solution and again let the yammie upscale as needed to 1080p etc ; it has a top notch deinterlacer/ scaler..

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/avencore-composite-video-s-video-audio-to-hdmi-converter.html#productTab3