Hi Everyone,

Can any one please recommend a Phono Pre that has Tone Controls?

I understand the this is could be construed by some as a Hi Fi Sin but I just love being able to tweak what I am listening to.

I am not that interested in an integrated amp phono combo, I would prefer stand alone phono pre.

Thanks

Tone controls do not belong in a phono preamp.   They apply to all inputs, not just phono, and so belong in the control or line preamp, depending on your terminology.

The Parks Puffin does this and more. I use one for pre RIAA curves on mono records, but it also lets you tweak everything else. Highly recommended.

http://parksaudiollc.com/

Has a volume control as well so you can go direct to your power amp or active speakers. 

Edited by Bell Ringer
Extra info
1 minute ago, Bell Ringer said:

The Parks Puffin does this and more. I use one for pre RIAA curves on mono records, but it also lets you tweak everything else. Highly recommended.

http://parksaudiollc.com/

I have a Parks Audio Puffin 

Its strength is to marry difficult components and cartridges for best results 

Also it can be updated with new firmware as it’s released

I believe it’s firmware is updated based on user’s experience and feedback suggestions 

1 hour ago, Nstat said:

Hi Everyone,

Can any one please recommend a Phono Pre that has Tone Controls?

I understand the this is could be construed by some as a Hi Fi Sin but I just love being able to tweak what I am listening to.

I am not that interested in an integrated amp phono combo, I would prefer stand alone phono pre.

Thanks

I use the Nakamichi CA5 II pre 

Great preamp that has everything you want and need along with excellent build quality 

Finding one is harder these days as they have now become a sought after component 

• Like 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 4JacksAU
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Sydney State: New South Wales Payment Method: PayPal (+3%), Cash on Pickup, EFT Reason for selling: Upgraded, NLR Further information:

Designed for low voltage MC cartridges
      Gain is set to 66dB
      Input impedance 150 ohms

RRP when new ~ £1,300 or ~ AUD 2,300

Overview:
      The Audio Synthesis Passion phono stage is a simple design, with a high quality Linear Power Supply (separate box) connected to the phono pre-amp via a shielded cable and 6pin DIN plug.
      It is designed to amplify the very low level signal from the cartridge to provide a line level signal to use as input to the rest of the HiFi system (ie. a pre amp or integrated amp). And IMHO it does this job very well indeed.

Description from Audio Synthesis product info::
      “The Passion Phono is set up for a gain of 66dB and input impedance 150 ohms in parallel with 1 nF of capacitance.
      The input resistance of 150 ohms is fixed to ensure ultra-low noise performance. Most low output moving coil cartridges would be suitable for use with the Passion Phono which was designed to have extremely low noise and a high gain” 

The construction of this phono stage feels like an ‘Uber engineered’, ‘built to last’ piece of British HiFi. One finds few of these units available for sale but they are still highly regarded by analog enthusiasts.
      I purchased this unit with my Linn LP12 turntable around 5 years back, and have used it with the Linn ‘Arkiv B’ MC cartridge and the Linn Krystal MC cartridge.
      I can confirm is works incredibly well with a low output moving coil cart, and the impedance of 150 ohms is a very good match for the Linn cartridge.

Reason for selling:
      This was a massive SQ improvement over my Linn amp with an integrated phono stage, so I have used it for a number of years and still love the tonally neutral, open and detailed sound it provides.
      I upgraded a few months ago to a Sutherland amp (with its own high-end MC phono stage), therefore the AS Passion is no longer used in my main system.

My advice to vinyl enthusiasts - if you have a built-in phono stage in your amp, there is a very good chance that a dedicated phono-stage will give you a wonderful improvement in SQ.

I’d be very happy to provide further information to anyone interested.
      I’ll include a high quality VanDenHul interconnect which I used with this phono stage so it’s an easy ‘plug in’ into an existing system.

PM me with any questions. And I’d welcome any honest feedback - if you feel the pricing isn’t at the right level for this product.

Photos:

• By Alphason
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Belgrave State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal to friends, Direct Deposit or Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Too many phono amps Further information:
      This is a nice, solid American made phono amp which can be used with MM/MC cartridges.

Here are some details from the net:

High performance low noise outboard mm/mc phono section.
      Rogue Audio preamplifiers are hand made in the USA. They feature exceptional quality in design, sound and finish. The Rogue Audio Stealth phono preamps hold musical truth high with speed and accuracy. Through the use of very high quality parts and skilled design, deep, tight bass and crisp, clear highs are uncovered from the depths of the Lp grooves as never before. Easily added-on to any linestage preamplifier, the Rogue Audio Stealth phonostage can upgrade any system to include vinyl as a source of high fidelity.
      "…these Rogue Audio components will form a convincing and beguiling musical heart to a two-channel system. Yes, there are electronics out there that offer more detail and superficially sharper and more impressive sound. None I've heard in this price range can better the Rogue's all-around musical ability, the way they put performers in the room with you, drawing you to the music rather than the system. The Cronus arrives as a distinctive and decidedly different alternative to the made in China crowd; the Stealth just reinforces its appeal. Aptly named, Rogue Audio prove that there's life in the old dog yet." – Roy Gregory, Hi-Fi+, Issue 58
      General Features:
       Moving magnet (mm) or Moving coil (mc) operation  High performance op amp circuit topology  Precise RIAA equalization  Massive fully regulated power supply  Toroidal transformer  Internal settings for 100, 300, 1000 and 47k Ohm loading  Internal setting for 150 Picofared or 0 capacitance loading  Four gain settings: 40dB, 50dB, 60dB, 65dB  Ultra heavy-duty gold RCA inputs  Precision components throughout  Heavy machined aluminum faceplate  Two heavy (2 ounce) copper circuit boards  Teflon/silver plated hook-up wire  Detachable IEC power cord  Entirely designed and built in the USA  
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Nick1000
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal or Cash on pick-up Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: 
      I purchased this off another SNA’er to compare against my current phono stage – great phono and lots of flexibility on settings to suit almost any cartridge.  I am selling as I preferred the synergy of my existing phono in my system.
      Comes with power wart and grounding extension wire.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Nstat
      Item: Parks Audio Puffin Phono Pre
      Price Range:
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:
      HI All, I am looking to purchase a Parks Audio Phono Pre especially if it has the optional Digital output mod.

Thanks

• By Nstat
      Hi all,

I am interested to hear if anyone has come across a DSP based active speaker that truly does a vinyl analog signal justice.

I am not suggesting that I have an amazing set of ears but I can usually pick a lack of warmth and clinical objectivity from DSP filters especially those that are situated in active digital speakers. 

I really like  listening to digital music through a digital speaker but there seems to be loss when trying to experience vinyl.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Can anyone recommend a digital speaker that does vinyl justice?

thanks