Melbourne Repair Shop Recommendations

Hi all,

I have a Paradigm Studio v5 setup and unfortunately by CC-690 (centre) seems to have died. The sound is very course/tinny across all frequencies, so I suspect it's the crossover.

I've never had a speaker require repair before so I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations for a trustworthy repairer in Melbourne? Preferably southeastern suburbs but I'm happy to travel if required.

Thanks in advance!

Its possible the links on the back of the speaker have come loose where the speaker cables go into it?

There are some gold links that go from the top terminals to the bottom terminals. Also the plastic nuts have to be tight against them.

Only if you are using a normal pair of speaker cables and not biamping them with 4 speaker cables plugged into all connectors.

2020-04-05_100954.jpg

Edited by rocky500
10 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Its possible the links on the back of the speaker have come loose where the speaker cables go into it?

There are some gold links that go from the top terminals to the bottom terminals. Also the plastic nuts have to be tight against them.

Only if you are using a normal pair of speaker cables and not biamping them with 4 speaker cables plugged into all connectors.

2020-04-05_100954.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I was bi-wiring them and suspected it may be an issue with the cable, so I attached the connectors and used a single cable from another channel (that was working fine), but the issue remains.

11 hours ago, Exxie said:

Hi all,

I have a Paradigm Studio v5 setup and unfortunately by CC-690 (centre) seems to have died. The sound is very course/tinny across all frequencies, so I suspect it's the crossover.

I've never had a speaker require repair before so I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations for a trustworthy repairer in Melbourne? Preferably southeastern suburbs but I'm happy to travel if required.

Thanks in advance!

have you tried paradigms importer ? audio active ? its probably just a straight swap over of xover ?  in anycase am sure could advise on the local repairer especially given they are located in melb themselves. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/paradigm

On 05/04/2020 at 11:15 PM, betty boop said:

have you tried paradigms importer ? audio active ? its probably just a straight swap over of xover ?  in anycase am sure could advise on the local repairer especially given they are located in melb themselves. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/paradigm

Thanks for that, the guy I spoke to at AA suggested a repairer, but said he didn't think it would be a crossover issue. In any case, I called the repairer and he was booked out for several weeks.

Given the travel restrictions, I thought I'd open it up and have a look myself and found some odd (to me) behaviour. I'll start another post since this will be off topic.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...