75" TV advise

I still think Panasonic has the best image quality when I look at demo units.... And funnily enough like HiSense after that. 

Yes the blacks look great on other brands but the colours just look unnatural to me. Go figure right? 

34 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I still think Panasonic has the best image quality when I look at demo units.... And funnily enough like HiSense after that. 

Yes the blacks look great on other brands but the colours just look unnatural to me. Go figure right? 

I'd take demo units with a grain of salt - they always use the bloody 'retail' presets with oversaturated colours etc.

There are also plenty of TVs which look great with steady pictures or slow panning artistic 4K shots, but don't deal with motion all that well. Hisense and TCL...  I'm looking at you my friends! ;)

Edited by pete_mac

Panasonic TV's are hard to find now due to their exit from that market.

We installed the Samsun QLED 70T a 75" on the wall late yesterday replacing the 65" Panny. Used same strong steel mount and direct viewing 1/3 from bottom of TV as required, added new Rupro HDMI Fibre Optic 4k/8k cables in wall plus a spare for some future proofing.

Picture out of box awful, since tweaked it enough for less red and good skin colour, will play and adjust more on weekend. Must say at 3m it looks huge and just love the thin Bezel.

42 minutes ago, EZYHD said:

Picture out of box awful, since tweaked it enough for less red and good skin colour, will play and adjust more on weekend. Must say at 3m it looks huge and just love the thin Bezel.

RTINGS.com noted a slight reddish tint in their review of the Q70T:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70t-qled

Their suggested settings are here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70t-qled/settings

And agreed re:  a 75" screen from that distance - I sit about 3.4m away from a 75" Q75R and it's sublime!

Edited by pete_mac

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 9:45 AM, pete_mac said:

RTINGS.com noted a slight reddish tint in their review of the Q70T:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70t-qled

Their suggested settings are here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70t-qled/settings

And agreed re:  a 75" screen from that distance - I sit about 3.4m away from a 75" Q75R and it's sublime!

I ended up getting a 75" TU8000, from JB (had the TU8000 and Q60T side by side and I couldn't really tell the difference really, certainly not $700 difference). Mounted it last night, and coming from a Plasma the picture straight out of the box even on "Movie" mode was deplorable and I was beginning to think id ended up with a screen I would have to painfully sit through each night as everyone and everything on the screen just looked fake, even the boss commented.

That was until I did the Rtings settings and thank god, all looks the way it should now, still see fine tuning to do but what a difference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I ended up getting a 75" TU8000, from JB (had the TU8000 and Q60T side by side and I couldn't really tell the difference really, certainly not $700 difference). Mounted it last night, and coming from a Plasma the picture straight out of the box even on "Movie" mode was deplorable and I was beginning to think id ended up with a screen I would have to painfully sit through each night as everyone and everything on the screen just looked fake, even the boss commented.

That was until I did the Rtings settings and thank god, all looks the way it should now, still see fine tuning to do but what a difference!

Yeah, there really is bugger-all difference between the TU8000 and the Q60T. Samsung have also played silly-buggers with their model range this year, so the new Q70T is more like the old Q60R, and you need to step up to the Q80T to get similar performance and features to last year's Q70R/Q75R.

I was in exactly the same boat - my Q75R looked decidedly average until I followed RTINGS's advice. It's pretty amazing to think that people actually enjoy watching their modern TVs with all of the artificial processing ramped-up to maximum!

Edited by pete_mac

2 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Yeah, there really is bugger-all difference between the TU8000 and the Q60T. Samsung have also played silly-buggers with their model range this year, so the new Q70T is more like the old Q60R, and you need to step up to the Q80T to get similar performance and features to last year's Q70R/Q75R.

I was in exactly the same boat - my Q75R looked decidedly average until I followed RTINGS's advice. It's pretty amazing to think that people actually enjoy watching their modern TVs with all of the artificial processing ramped-up to maximum!

Yeh makes it confusing but the proof is in the pudding when you look side by side between models.

i agree i would think only about 5% might dig into the settings and tweak them outside the normal options and I am as surprised as you, that said movie mode on the Samsung plasma was all I needed to be happy but we all know plasma was the king of natural colours.

For $1800 I’ve got pretty much what I wanted, a large screen with pretty good contrast and colour, the only issue I’ve had is some judder between my Apple TV 32GB and the tv, which probably still isn’t perfect after messing with frame rate settings. May just end up using the app on the tv to solve that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Good to know you compared your new TV with your plasma.  I was going to look at upsizing my plasma until the Kii blew the budget up!  ?  Maybe next year...  :sad:

23 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good to know you compared your new TV with your plasma.  I was going to look at upsizing my plasma until the Kii blew the budget up!  ?  Maybe next year...  :sad:

To be fair to the Plasma there is a gap but with tweaking its not a hugely noticeable one for me anyway. Think I need a bit more colour punch without it being too hot on the skin tones and some deeper blacks but certainly very watchable after 30 minutes of tweaking, and bang for buck can't really go wrong.

• Like 2