Sign in to follow this  
doogie44

LINKSYS AC3900 VELOP Intelligent Mesh WiFi System 3-Pack White

Posted (edited)

Item:  [TAKEN]    Linksys AC3900 Velop Intelligent Mesh WiFi System 3-Pack White
Price Range: 'Postage only' + donation
Item Condition: Used
Extra Info: I bought this new a year ago and spent hundreds of hours trying to get all 3 nodes to work consistently with my many network issues at home. When it did work it was fantastic. I have the box and the manual/installation disc. It was $450 new and even a used 2 node system is $200-$300.

There are 2 issues:

1. One of the three AC adaptors (for 3 nodes) is dead, possibly from a power surge a few months ago that took out my computer motherboard at the same time; I have not been able to find a replacement. This adaptor is marked "NO" clearly (see photo). 

2. The digital angst I have suffered in this situation as a digital idiot is extraordinary. I bought the LINKSYS because it was 'idiot-proof'. I have no idea how to fix network issues--and these were many (in my computer system). Apparently this is unusual because of the inbuilt digital assistant Linksys employs. Anyway, I have wasted enough time with this and lost any digital confidence I had before! What was I thinking--I can barely utilise my computer or Cambridge streamer when there's a problem...

Full disclosure: you need to be digital-savvy in a way that I have not been able to be.

If you find this digital stuff simple then here is a working 2 node (or 3 node) system. I suggest a donation to Stereonet under all the circumstances?

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

Edited by doogie44
Item taken

*Taken* pending sending organisation and donation

Now done.

May I suggest the Tenda system to the seller? I know it’s cheap but I have not had an issue with it and I run a lot of stuff on it. ;) 

Very kind of you to take pity on a digital illiterate. But I am not drinking from the chalice so easily offered.

This has been a clarifying experience for me--working with what I regard as an immature technology as if I had to be an expert!

I am back to the old wi-fi range extenders because they actually work and have 'never' played up for me. Old fashioned but effective. This is the big issue at my house.

I came to realise that my digital system could never quite be relied upon. Especially when it decides to reset itself or just pack it in completely. Now I am back to enjoying my music because I no longer have to fix the recurring digital problems myself...nor my car...nor my plumbing...nor my computer.

The fact that other whiz kids, especially on the Forum, live and breathe this stuff blinded me to the fact that I could never get my head around most of it. I can't conceptualise the parts or protocols of a digital system in the detail required. My Cambridge Audio CXN streamer is much more like a computer than an audio component. Surprise! 

I feel better now after this rant 😣

I looked at the details of the TENDA system as you suggested, the home mesh setup in particular. My panic attack subsided relatively quickly, thanks.

I am glad it is working for you.

Haha! No worries at all. :) just run what works for your setup! 

I would second the tenda system or if you want to pay more the Asus or Google Mesh are good as well. Once all this is over, i can come by and help you set something up if you wanted. 

That is a very kind offer indeed--I love the SNA Forum! Good people.

Based on my network history you'll need access on a semi-permanent basis, possibly a spare room just for you. But, the way things are going we might be locked up for quite some time. No worries, I have thousands of LPs and downloads. I like living here, why wouldn't you?

If it comes to pass that my current arrangement (a 'non-mesh' digital  system) dies a gruesome death, and I overcome my deep-rooted digital phobia with recurrent PTSD**, I'll certainly keep you in mind. I have a simple configuration now. Things have settled down.

**You know that scene towards the end in Aliens where Ripley says "we're not leaving"---and goes back down into the depths of the alien lair to rescue the little girl Newt? I am not Ripley.

At present everything is working well and I'm listening in my lounge/music room to Psychomed Audiophile Jazz on internet radio from Athens via a Cambridge CXN streamer and through my Line Magnetic 218iA mini EL84-based pentode amp. (Keeping the CXN happy is no mean feat but I am managing it)

It's all I ever wanted before the madness began...

I feel so much better moving the LINKSYS VELOP on to someone else. Like when I got rid of my Mercedes 300 because $10,000 worth of repairs couldn't fix the wonky fuel system and I bought a Golf turbo. Started to wake up each morning without twitching.

Happy days.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)