Osborn Epitome Reference Tower speakers

Hi I’m a new member. I was just after some advice regarding my speakers which are Osborn Epitome Reference Towers. Currently I’m running them with a Sansui Au 555a integrated amp which is  doing not a bad job. I’d like to get a newer more powerful amp for the speakers. What would you guys recommend as a good match for the speakers?

They're efficient speakers, so more power may not be the sole answer you're looking for.  Greg always demos with tubes, so I'd look in that realm in the first instance.

I've got the same speakers, but no amp yet, now waiting for this virus thing to settle and see what's out there.  I'll be (most likely) aiming for a tube integrated.

I have Epitome Ref’s.  They are easy speakers to drive, so I agree with the above.  It’s more about quality and matching and your own sound signature preferences, not power per-se.

I have used an 80w SS integrated, a pair of 100w tube mono’s, and currently a 200w SS power amp (OAD, which is by far the best match I’ve found for them so far).  I’ve heard them with 15w class A mono’s and they sounded great!  You’re right, I’d be tempted by something like these too...

I think one of the advantages of Osborn designs is that they are all pretty efficient and the overall presentation is spacious and balanced, tuned pretty well to most ears.  Nothing too weird or exotic means they lend themselves to all sorts of amps!

• Like 1

@zonx I used to have a pair of Epitome Tower Ref, I had both valves and solid state amplifiers.

I found that solid state was better for bass as it was considerably tighter. Pass Labs is a good match as it is solid state but the flavour of valves.

7 minutes ago, Whites said:

@zonx I used to have a pair of Epitome Tower Ref, I had both valves and solid state amplifiers.

I found that solid state was better for bass as it was considerably tighter. Pass Labs is a good match as it is solid state but the flavour of valves.

Yeah my next amps to try will be some Pass “amp camp” diy’s when I get them done.  Should be interesting.

Interesting re Pass, as that’s what I’ve found with the OAD - great bass, fast and detailed, however just seems to have the “vibe” of my previous StereoKnight M-100 Tube amps.  Best of both worlds!  

http://openaudiodesigns.com

Maybe let everyone know your preferences (jazz, rock, death metal, classical), room (big, small) and volumes.....?

Thanks guys for your great advice. Before I change amps I have to sell off some gear and will then look around. There is a guy not far from me selling a Vincent SV 226 mkll integrated amp it’s about 5 years old. What are your opinions on the Vincent it’s a hybrid amp.

My main preference of music is rock and heavy metal but also some jazz and blues. What are your options on best kind of amp to suit the Osborn speakers?

@zonx

First, congratulations on your speakers. I don't believe there is anything on the planet that gives more bang for the buck. 

Of course, I'm biased, becuase Osborne Epitome References were my main speakers for about a decade, intially stand alone and then eventually I added bass units. 

One of the things I liked most about the speakers the most is that they are so transparent, efficient and responsive to amp changes. I can't even remember everything I tried, but it was everything from small integrated valve amps, to Krell power amps, to Emotiva XPA1s and a variety of tube monoblock amps. While I do like the control that larger wattage can bring, Greg's speakers really don't need very much to bring them alive. 

Unsurprisingly, the Consonance amps that Greg also sells voice very nicely with his speakers. They are extremely capable and well suited to your musical preferences. They are also reliable and easy to move along on the second hand market if/when you keep chasing the upgrade path.

What's your budget?

• Like 5

I have an early(?) epitome with square tweeter plate, and consonance cyber 800, cdp, cvt,,, Packed the valve gear away, prefer SS, running Yamaha CX-1000, vintage electrocompanient preampliwire(?) and a range of integrateds like Yamaha CA-2010/1010/1000... Pioneer SA-8500II, Luxman L410, 480,, still looking for a sansui alpha or 919 or... This is another vote for vintage SS, if you can haggle you could get a CA-2010 for $1000-. I'd suggest getting the 555A refurbished, but if you need the extra Watts...

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. The Osborns I am more than happy with to me they are keepers. The Sansui 555a is doing not a bad job I just feel like trying something else. I have to sell off some gear then I’ll be able to buy another amp. I might try the Consonance amps Greg has which I’m sure are good amps. I’m planning on selling the Sansui and a Hafler preamp and power amp. then I’ll hopefully get another amp.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 12:50 PM, Kaynin said:

I'll be (most likely) aiming for a tube integrated.

Which way you headed Mr?

Guest jakeyb77

In speaking to Greg there is a bit of a misnomer about the valve business in regard to the Epitome. 
They were actually designed and voiced using large solid state amps. 

* as above I used them with ME amps, Weston amps and any amp really they sound good. 
With your music choice I’d go solid state for bass and headroom. 

Edited by jakeyb77

5 hours ago, Luc said:

Which way you headed Mr?

Was going to pull the trigger on the Consonance Cyber 880I, but Greg hasn't been able to get anything since January.  I'll likely see what pops up on the second hand market now (in a couple of months when the car gets serviced and new tyres!), same price point.

The Epitomes are sitting in the movie room, still have my lounge system running so no rush.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Was going to pull the trigger on the Consonance Cyber 880I, but Greg hasn't been able to get anything since January.  I'll likely see what pops up on the second hand market now (in a couple of months when the car gets serviced and new tyres!), same price point.

The Epitomes are sitting in the movie room, still have my lounge system running so no rush.

Couldn’t get into the Consonance when I had it. Nothing like a Weston or the Melody sound wise. 

I know a guy locally selling a Vincent SV 226 mk ll hybrid amp. Does anyone have any experience with this amp and would it suit my Osborns?

Edited by zonx

Guest jakeyb77
45 minutes ago, zonx said:

I know a guy locally selling a Vincent SV 226 mk ll hybrid amp. Does anyone have any experience with this amp and would it suit my Osborns?

It’s too hard to give a specific answer on an amp. I haven’t heard the Vincent. 
But as above they are very forgiving speakers that will run on just about anything. 
You’ll need to see if you can test an amp before buying. Or buy amps and try them and on sell them if they aren’t your liking. 

• 3 months later...
On 08/04/2020 at 8:49 AM, zonx said:

I have a pair of original eclipse's paired with a SV-237 and I ran them with an old yamaha ax596 as a comparison. The difference in sound quality was about 5 % better on the Vincent amp that was 10 times the price of the old Yamaha. Then I took the speakers to Greg's home and listed to it on the Cyber 880i amp. The sound quality just blew me away as it sounded 100% better when powered by the Consonance cyber 880i . I think Greg uses those amps to test his speakers but I can tell you the sound is so much better on those amps. Anyway I have resorted to listening to them on my Vincent till I collect sufficient funds for the 880i.

Thanks for that mate I ended up buying the Elektra Reference HD 2 channel power amp and it’s doing a great job. Very happy with the way it sounds with the Osborn Epitome speakers.

• Like 1