Issue with W5700 Benq projector

Hello folks

Im facing a strange issue with my new W5700 Benq 4K projector.

While playing content ( I have tried Bluray player,  NVIDEA shield TV and chromecast for content 4K and Full HD content) I notice the image slightly switches its brightness (normal to slightly dull and again back). This is clearly evident when reading the subtitle. The font gets a bit less bright and again back to normal brightness level.

Any idea what could be wrong here?

Im using the HDMI cable https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/audio-dimension-10-meter-active-fibre-optic-hdmi-cable-4k-60hz-hdr-18gbps.html

Edited by SangeethSamrat

The subtitles are usually white and probably affect the overall brightness of the screen and the dynamic iris compensates? I'd try fiddling with the dynamic iris settings (e.g. instead of high, I'd set it to low). Or are you possibly using the smart eco mode (which might have a similar effect)? In any case I'd try the different dynamic iris settings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wassup said:

The subtitles are usually white and probably affect the overall brightness of the screen and the dynamic iris compensates? I'd try fiddling with the dynamic iris settings (e.g. instead of high, I'd set it to low). Or are you possibly using the smart eco mode (which might have a similar effect)? In any case I'd try the different dynamic iris settings.

Agree, sounds like the iris "pumping" as the brightness of the image varies.

• Like 1

Note. As you can see from my signature , I am partnered with BENQ, selling these in Adelaide.

I'd like to confirm this is the dynamic iris and it is normal behavior.

BENQ hat off > I am also slightly disappointed in the dynamic iris , more so the noise than the brightness fluctuations. I personally find the brightness changing to be minor and the noise to be slightly annoying , given that my W5700 is directly over my seated position, so too close to not hear the iris.

I even sent the unit in for service ( iris noise ) only to be told it was normal. 

Having said all that, I always leave the iris on OFF when using a 4K UHD disc. The Panasonic player has excellent tone mapping and therefore no need to enable the iris. I strongly urge you to get a Panasonic 4K player and do the same thing.

When using my Apple TV 4K I leave the dynamic iris on low, it's not so annoying IMHO.

Don't be too disheartened, the PJ  still has great imaging if you use the right settings.

1 hour ago, powerinnumbers said:

I even sent the unit in for service ( iris noise ) only to be told it was normal. 

This is really SHOCKING. 

The noise in brightness is so annoying.

I never noticed this in any of my 3 trials at the HiFi shops. I wonder why?

Is there any setting to turn this OFF?

And if this creates noise in brightness why would BENQ put this in place? What are we achieveing?

Jeez...

28 minutes ago, SangeethSamrat said:

Is there any setting to turn this OFF?

Of course it's in the menu. Turn it off, it on by default, nobody is making you use it.

28 minutes ago, SangeethSamrat said:

why would BENQ put this in place?

To increase contrast or the perception of it.

Edited by powerinnumbers
  • Like 1

I find the pumping with subtitles annoying at times also, but it seems to affect some material more than others. and seems to be missing entirely sometimes. E.g. HBO has a pretty bad quality stream and it seems it causes more iris pumping watching a series (with subtitles) using that service than watching the same material of a BluRay (which in any case has superior image and sound quality, especially to that particular stream service - not to even mention UHD discs). I think sometimes it seems changing the lamp mode (eco or normal) may make a difference.  In addition some devices let you choose the size, position, color and transparency settings of the subs, which has an effect. 

• 10 months later...

I have just moved up to a W5700, (from a W2700), and have noticed the iris noise, though I didn't with the W2700 - probably as that made more of a racket in general!

As per above, I have now switched off the dynamic iris - sorted. 

Guest Old Man Rubber
On 10/04/2020 at 7:15 AM, Quark said:

Improved contrast.

This is right, although I would say improved contrast in environments where light control is an issue.  My old (new to me) Mitsubishi has the same issue when dynamic iris is engaged, you either mentally tune it out or you switch it off from the menu.  If you are in a dark room with no light control issues, the dynamic iris seems more annoying than anything.

• 2 weeks later...