Gryphon Antilion vs Krell Evo 600 monoblocks

I am upgrading my amp. Currently run a Mark Levinson 332. Have loved it but it has died so will use the chance to move up.

I am looking at a Gryphon Antilion and a pair of Krell Evo 600 monoblocks. 

I have never heard either amps and can't fly to test them right now. Which amp is better choice? Love to hear some opinion.

Cheers Chris 

Thanks initforthemusic, I run:

* Revel F30 speakers

* Lumin U1 mini streamer

* Mark Levinson 360 DAC

* Mark Levinson no 37 Transport

* Mark Levinson 380s preamplifier 

* Isotek Sigma 'll power conditioner

* NBS Monitor O & NBS Signature II for

* sestetto No ll digital interconnect

* Chord Signature speaker cables

Music listening is from Kaz Hawkins vocal through to Rock. Billy Idol white weddings is always a favourite test for me. My system has been great as a starter and has been enough to get me hooked. Certainly impresses my friends. But there is something that just lacks in my system and I am not musically educated enough to describe it accurately, but it is a little bright / harsh sometime at volume and also just a little lifeless. I do love its gut wrench grip on base. 

Look forward to you input.

The right channel Voltage gain board has some cooking elements! 

If anyone has spare parts are a whole parts 332 to sell, let me know.

Love the amp, and will likely fix it as a project, I am interested in upgrade / change in any event.

20200330_233129.jpg

20200330_230349.jpg

20200330_230456.jpg

• Like 1

There is no better,  just what suits you musical prefence.

Gryphon, rich , powerful and awesome control.

Krell - more neutral,  powerful  and awesome control. 

take your pick.   Personally,  Krell for me.

• Like 3

Just now, ChrisRuck said:

@initforthemusic  I have just searched them. Big difference in price between a Gryphon / Krell and this Vincent by the looks. Are you saying Vincent's would sound better?

I'm saying they match beautifully with Revel Ultima Studios. Amp to Speaker matching is super critical IME. I'm recommending them as a cost effective alternative.

With Covid 19 lockdown, it a and time for my amp to go. I simply can fly to test these and I am stuck in central QLD!

Repeating what I said above, and taking in to account my system above, I loved the Mark Levinson but grew up with my dad listening to valve. DONT want valve as I love the big base slam of big solid state. But my 332 just lacked something. So if I am going to spend around $15k I want to resolve what's missing. Unfortunately I will rely on others comments as otherwise I am gonna go through lockdown without good music and may end up divorced! My previous comment below:

Music listening is from Kaz Hawkins vocal through to Rock. Billy Idol white weddings is always a favourite test for me. My system has been great as a starter and has been enough to get me hooked. Certainly impresses my friends. But there is something that just lacks in my system and I am not musically educated enough to describe it accurately, but it is a little bright / harsh sometime at volume and also just a little lifeless. I do love its gut wrench grip on base. 

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I would upgrade the speakers before I spent 15k+ on amplification,

Yeh, I will certainly be looking at that in the future. But immediately need to replace my amp due to 332 failure. I want to future proof system.and get right amp to keep forever (or forever for now).

Krell Evo 600 or Gryphon Antileon?

30 minutes ago, ChrisRuck said:

Yeh, I will certainly be looking at that in the future. But immediately need to replace my amp due to 332 failure. I want to future proof system.and get right amp to keep forever (or forever for now).

Well given the choice you are going to get my personal preference. No one can definitively say which amp is better than the other. They are both world class reference amps.

Given the choice I would choose the Krell. Why? Because I like Krell and haven't owned a Gryphon.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChrisRuck said:

Chris I have written 4 different replies to you, long and short but I just wanted to give you my thoughts.

The Gryphon is an absolute killer of an amp, I have had Vitus pre and power set ups and have a full set of Concert Fidelity amps worth twice the Gryphon but apart from its sheer size, which I find hard to accommodate in my family room and heat output around my kids nothing I have ever heard or owned comes close to a Gryphon Antileon Signature power amp...

I have worked in a high end store in the Uk and been around audio for 30 years and listened and tried so much audio gear.

The GAS is the real deal and Billy Idol has never rocked as hard. I like to listen at live concert levels and it never ever fails.

If you were in Perth you could borrow it to prove to yourself.  If it sells I will either live with the CF's as they are excellent and I have them already or sell everything for Gryphon mono blocks.

regards Adam

• Like 2

I have enjoyed Krell amps and owned them some very nice amps.. Heard or owned pretty much all of the Gryphon amps from the Antilleon Sig upward. The Ant Sig is a superb amplifier  a legend but is at the bottom of the Gryphon range'

Krell and Gryphon both have great control of speakers but differ in sound signature. Depending on your tastes and speakers will depend on which you like.

Gryphon is renowned for a  lush ,full  natural sound Krell  leaner brash  and  detailed. 

Go listen to both to be sure or you may end up with something that does not suit your speakers or taste.

• Like 3

Hey @Jones99

I live in central QLD. Mark Levinson amp has died beyond repair. I run Revel F30 speakers. Have to buy something unseen under current travel restrictions. Run Mark Levinson DAC, Preamp, transport as stated above.

Does that make a difference to your view?

If you like the Revel Sound you are probably going to have to eventually go to Revel Salon's to do justice to a Gryphon Antilleon , providing your Room's suitable, (havn't heard the Krell 600's). The F30's are really only Junior Studios. No doubt they sound nice but not really High End.

• Like 1