Luc

A semi Quiet PC Gaming build. Suggestions.

Posted (edited)

@Mungbean66  thanks for the advice. The mobo the lads have chosen, the Asus prime B550 plus isn't here yet so it's a waiting game which in the scheme of things means I can hopefully grab the GPU on special. Amazon just keeps doing crazy stuff with their computer stuff.

Drop the price dramatically for 4 or 5 hours then put it up again and then a day or 2 later they drop it again.

So that's what I'm watching out for.

image.thumb.png.4c499af698506e799d63f458731c6ff0.png

Edited by Luc

Posted (edited)

Case✔️$115 Corsair Carbide 275Q Mid-Tower Quiet PC Gaming Case - Black

CPU✔️$267AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core/12 Threads AM4 Processor/Wraith Stealth Cooler

Ram✔️$110 G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

PSU✔️$140 Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus V2 Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

SSD ✔️$140 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB V-NAND 3-bit MLC M.2 SSD MZ-V7S500BW

GPU✔️$649.54   Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 Xt 8GB GDDR6 HDMI/ Triple DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI) PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

Nearly there. Mobo,thermal paste,keyboard and I should be done hopefully and then the fun part begins...putting it together(gulp)

Edited by Luc

looking good luc! i wouldn't be able to wait at this point hehe. putting it together is the best part, even though it's pretty fool proof these days.

3 minutes ago, pezzy said:

even though it's pretty fool proof these days.

You haven't met me have you...lol

The guru on my discord channel is going to check up on temps in regard to the stock cooler that came with the AMD to see whether I need a better one. There's some big arse Noctuas on special at the moment.

*Just edited my prices. They aren't the best but aren't too bad for Covid prices

*The mobo is the sticking point at this stage as it's not available even in the US yet.

i'm sure you'll be okay! everything falls into their respective slots these days. just remember to plug the power before you turn it on :P.

if you do have room in your budget, aftermarket coolers like noctuas are a no brainer. temps aren't too important if you're not overclocking. but they really do make a difference in system noise.

Posted (edited)

Even mild overclocking with a 3600 is fine with the stock cooler. Get a Noctua if you feel you might upgrade later or you want to be comfortable knowing your CPU will never overheat.

This is from someone with a D15.

Btw Luc, your PC is remarkably close to my build. Great minds think a like and all that ;)

Edited by Mungbean66

Looking forward to getting back on Steam and into Grim Dawn. BG3 will be great too.

I am not familiar with the thermal aspects of AMD CPU's or their heat sinks performance, but it does get pretty warm in that area in summer (Lismore)

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, what's your thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CK9SHZG/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=thermal+paste&qid=1593812411&sr=8-17

914u9%2BwNL%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81vH%2BoFRYWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

818ra1xiIhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

*No closer to a decision on Mobo. The ASUS B550's are slow in becoming available here or in the US. 

Edited by Luc

Use a decent paste. It'll last years under a heatsink and have much better thermal conductivity.

I would only suggest this if you were expecting to be removing the CPU cooler often.

@Mungbean66  Cheers for that. I'll stick with a tube of Arctic Silver then.

Looking at doing a similar build soon. This has been a good help already.

Thanks and good luck

Posted (edited)

Hi Luc,

I read your post in the "Show us your computer audio system" thread & thought it better to reply here. Your PC noise is prob a mixture of old Mob & cabling. That rear case vent needs a clean as well :)

A couple of thing's I'd change / add on your shopping list, I've linked to PC CaseGear just so you can have a look at the info yourself.

1) Get rid of the Wraith Stealth Cooler, the research & funds went into CPU development, not cooler technology. Yes it will work but for long term spend a few extra bucks & grab a Noctua NH-D15S it comes with compound so no need to buy extra. Regarded as the best air cooler's around. The fans are very quiet as well so no problems there. 

2) If you can, step up the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming It will go with the CPU you have selected. The wireless & Blue Tooth tech has come along way the last few years. This will loose the wire connection you currently have. You will also be able to upgrade a lot easier in the future if required with this Mobo. The audio side is much better then the Prime. My advise to anyone building a new PC is to always go for a gaming Mobo, they do so much more.

A few of the features above the B550 Plus,

LAN Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet
ASUS LANGuard
Wireless Data Network Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
2x2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax) support 1024QAM/OFDMA/MU-MIMO
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Supports channel bandwidth: HT20/HT40/HT80/HT160
Bluetooth Bluetooth v5.1
BT 5.1 function will be ready in Windows 10 build 19041 or later.
Audio ROG SupremeFX 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
- Dual OP Amplifiers
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- Optical S/PDIF in port(s) at back panel
- Audio Shielding
- Premium Japanese audio capacitors
- Audio Cover
Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio.

3) That Corsair case comes with 2 fans, it will accept 6x 120mm fans. I would throw a couple of extra fans in there. I can't find what model comes as standard in the case but I would use the Corsair ML120 The ML series fans are magnetic levitation so no bearing noise after a few years of constant running.

As others have said, it's all plug n play these days. Take your time & stay earthed before touching anything. You can get a earthing wrist strap which clips onto the case while your building. Major place to take your time is inserting the CPU, make sure you have it around the right way & gently insert. If this bit goes wrong you could loose the CPU & the Mobo. Trying to straighten pins & sockets is a real PITA & not always successful.

GLW the build :)

Edited by Synodontis

@Synodontis   Thanks for the advice. The prime plus isn't available anywhere at the moment and I was eyeing the Rog boards. 

I don't really need a wireless mobo though as the router sits right next to the tower in my room.

I was actually thinking of the noctua but budget might not stretch.

Earthing shouldn't be a problem I think as I'll build it on the kitchen wooden table and have wooden floors and I'll be barefoot.

I don't run a home theatre setup at all like 5.2 or 7.2 whatever, just the two speakers in that pic.

Quiet running as best as I can get within the budget is a plus.

I'll have to look at a dac too perhaps to put in the chain to the amps.

Just a heads up on your mboard. The 970 evo is PCIe 3.0 and your board is PCIe 4.0 It won't get 4.0 speed. You could get a cheaper board like b450  for the same performance and put the money elsewhere. B450's have also already been approved for next gen compatibility (zen 3). Also, you can download windows 10 installer directly from microsoft. It will even create a usb  installer for it. Then just use your key to activate. Retail keys are transferrable and OEM keys are not but it's noot really an issue when you can buy windows keys in ebay legally for 10 bucks.