A semi Quiet PC Gaming build. Suggestions.

I had to edit my post as I was looking at benchmarks of the graphics card and was getting confuse, It's a nice one. And not much can do better at 3840x2160 apart from the upper end 2080's

Edited by muon*

Probably wont be playing FPS, just not into shooters that much. But Oblivion type games , yup, into them. Plus I'll be trying to get  a hang of DOTA2 or where ever it's up to. and no need to anything extreme for Dota.

• Like 1

the revised build looks pretty good. im not updated with current pc tech and dont know much about amd gpus, but perhaps a 5600 or even a 5500 series radeon card can do what you need? it will save you a couple of hundred bucks. also, not sure about stock ryzen cooling. but with intel, i always purchase a third party cooler. usually go with a noctua fan and heat sink combo. it makes a heap of a difference in temperatures and overall system noise.

someone also mentioned wired vs wireless peripherals. with a tight budget, i wouldn't consider anything special like mechanical keyboards and a gaming mouse. a cheap wired keyboard and mouse combo will suffice. they make zero to indistinguishable difference in gaming experience imo. you can pretty up your desktop later when you have more funds.

Edited by pezzy
  • Like 2

Invest a bit more into the PSU. Try get the top or second from top tier efficiency ones. Platinum etc.

Obviosuly only draw what they need, so even if its a 600W its ok. One with heaps of headroom and high efficiency usually come with a fan shutoff feature, so if its only runnin 20% load it doesn't even spin the fan. Keeps the noise down.

And replace all case fans with some good silent ones you can control speed.

Aftermarket CPU cooler with a big fan (I like Noctua).

My tips for quiet PC (built a fair few).

The GPU is the hard part, each model varies so much and they can really crank up. Pick the card you want then buy the one with the biggest cooler from a good brand, all you can do.

• Like 1

I built yet another PC a few months ago [Currently running 3 Desktops & a Laptop ? ], and I'm currently updating a older PC with a new HD and WIN 10 64 as I'm typing this.

From what I've been reading, and watching from many many YouTube videos at Linus tech tips [New videos pretty much every day, and all well done] recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

Currently most games don't take advantage of the AMD CPU's multi cores, well very few [Assassins Creed does]

And unless you are multitasking, like playing Spotify whilst playing a game, or streaming yourself whilst playing a game, there is no advantage, which when you think about it, young gamers wanting to stream their video gaming prowess is the main reason AMD CPU's have become so popular, which is the reason I suspect you have been recommended them.

From tests done at Linus tech channel above, you'll often see that Intel CPU's run the same game at faster FPS

Apparently that's because Intel has a traditionally larger install base, so game developers have made their games optimized for Intel CPU's.

How much difference is there and would you really notice a difference ?

I couldn't tell you, I suspect it's very 'Game dependent' at best

What I could tell you is that as dies have become smaller, the CPU's are running cooler, and to be honest, water cooling is a bit of a PITA, it's not 'Fit and Forget', it's more 'Fit and be ever vigilante for leaks'.

Besides, all you are really doing is moving the fans that would otherwise be inside the case, outside the case.

You don't need a fancy cooler unless you want to do some serious OC'íng.

By the way all AMD CPU's come with a CPU Fan, not so Intel CPU's anymore, only the top of the line i9 has a CPU fan come with it, all the rest you need to purchase one when you get the CPU, that's unless you have one from a previous build that will fit.

As for purchasing the bit's, I use PC case gear in Vic [I'm in Sydney] or MSY, which has multiple stores around the country [MSY can be cheaper than most stores due to their buying power, so check their PDF price list ]

https://www.msy.com.au/

But if thinking of buying from them, check their stock levels for your nearest store before ordering, especially if order/pickup.

As for building your own PC, well now days it's dead easy as they have made all connections pretty much only fitting the one way.

Although you can still run into problems, like I did just now....[It helps having another PC to search how to fix the problem]

Actually I'll tell you what the problem was, as you might run across the same thing later.

When installing WIN 10 64bit onto a virgin HD, the install disc formats the HD automatically [you used to have to format the HD beforehand]....anyway during OS install you get the props to select region / language/keyboard type etc, and the disc will install /stop/restart etc several times while it loads the OS.

For reasons that I don't know [I suspect a new install regime for the very latest Win 10 64 OS disc] you will see a prompt saying please press _ enter to select DVD/Bluray drive , which I did, this started the whole process again, asking me to re input in the activation code again...I'm like WTF !

So the whole process started again [ By the way,NONE of this happened when I built my newest PC back in late Feb, using the same Win10 64 OS, but a earlier edition]

Anyway what happened was the whole process started over yet again [3rd time], and I thought there is something seriously amiss, so I shut it down, ripped out the HD and plugged it into my other WIN 10 PC.

WTF! My Virgin 2TB HD was now showing 4.5 GB free disc space....REALLY!

Clicked start, typed Disc management, all the HD's connected show up, I look for the new drive and see it's been partitioned, with a 4.5GB section and 181 GB section...WHEW, not a faulty HD, so quick fix was to delete the partition so it's back to it's pristine state.

Reinstalled it back into the other PC, then do a Google search to find out what went wrong.

Seems like despite the prompt to press enter to select DVD/Bluray, you are not supposed to do that, and just let the disc install automatically [This then begs the question, then why ask people to do it you Microsoft muppets ?]....so be warned, leave it alone whilst installing.

Anyway, after that debacle all was good, until the Microsoft gestapo questionnaire/registration process I had to go through [Again, this didn't happen with a older version of the same OS install disc]

This is the problem with the latest OS's, they are trying to bridge between Desktop and portable/smartphone use.

The result is to get the bloody OS up and running, you have to at least pretend to be a Android phone user, which means starting a Microsoft account, letting Microsoft know your email address, and basically making Microsoft believe you want them to know everything about you, and to tailor your Úser Experience'.

I just want a DESKTOP PC experience, without ANY social F#%ing media additions to run programs where I can get be productive, not stuff about with Facrebook or Instagratificatagram.

With WIN 10, all this crap is tied to CORTANA "Your Personal productivity assistant", which in earlier versions of WIN 10 you could opt out of using with a few multi selections.

Now it takes a advanced user to get into the Windows registry and make edits to close the F#%er down.

Sorry for the rant, but letting a OS know and report back about every keystroke I make while using the OS is not something I'm going to allow.

It's why I gave up using MAC's

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tweaky said:

When installing WIN 10 64bit onto a virgin HD, the install disc formats the HD

I don't have a disc. My young nerdy friends on our Discord channel said they'd be 'jelly beaning' it or something like that.

Edit: I took up the free option online when W10 first came out. I don't have cortana operating on this PC

Edited by Luc

Well first purchase done.

Corsair Carbide 275Q Mid-Tower Quiet PC Gaming Case - Black for $115 delivered. So I'm committed now?

Just missed a $260 deal on the  AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU Processor + Wraith Stealth Cooler. Current best price for Aus stock(that I can find) is $299 at Mwave.

ahh i see. its the name of a keyfinder. im not sure if that would work on windows 10 though. iirc, the product keys are locked onto the mobo's id ie a registered key only works on 1 machine.

there are of course ways around it. but i dont think im allowed to post about it publicly :P.

1 minute ago, pezzy said:

im not sure if that would work on windows 10

These lads work in 'hacking' risk management and development strategies at some corporation in the US. They said it's an easy process so hopefully wont be a problem.

I hope we get this here. I'll hold off on the Ryzen for a little bit more to see if this deal comes here.

https://www.eteknix.com/amd-to-bundle-horizon-zero-dawn-ryzen-3000-cpus/

33 minutes ago, pezzy said:

some capable minds here as well :).

Thanks Pez. That's how the conversation started when we were discussing the build and they said where's your key? I said I didn't have one, no discs, was free upgrade from W7 option. so they said they'll jellybean it and find it.

*Like these lads are younger than my young bloke mind you and he's 30, so they know way more than me!(I'm the oldest on the discord thread and they never let me forget it...lol.

Edit: Actually you did help. Boys just said if I've upgraded for free from W7 then the W7 key will do the job and we'll install from a usb stick. The sticker is on the side of the case. So we'll see when i eventually get it built.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

Case✔️$115 (Corsair Carbide 275Q Mid-Tower Quiet PC Gaming Case - Black )

CPU✔️$267(AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core/12 Threads AM4 Processor/Wraith Stealth Cooler)

On to the next bits where ever they are.

These are on special at the moment: Galax GeForce RTX 2060 Super Click 8G OC Graphics Card

might be a step up from the MSI Radeon 5700 xt

• 2 weeks later...

Case✔️$115 (Corsair Carbide 275Q Mid-Tower Quiet PC Gaming Case - Black )

CPU✔️$267(AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core/12 Threads AM4 Processor/Wraith Stealth Cooler)

On to the next bits where ever they are.

Ram✔️G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

PSU✔️ Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus V2 Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Now chasing SSD and looking like it'll be the Samsung 970 evo Plus at this stage as Samsung have a cashback going.

Mobo is now definitely a B550 and now involved in a waiting game to see if the one I want(as advised by Guru friend) becomes available anytime soon.

*Having a lot of fun chasing these components down.

Consistently, Amazon AU is beating every computer B+M shop and online shop in Aus for a lot of these parts. PSU is $60 cheaper for instance with free delivery...nothing to match it online in Aus. This can't be a good thing for companies trying to survive but it is a win for consumers who vote with their feet, their credit cards and their wallets.

The prediction that Amazon would eventually take over Australia online is increasingly coming to fruition

Edited by Luc

theres also staticice.com.au search engine if you dont know of it yet luc.

ebay has good deals from time to time as well. especially when there's those discount codes\periods.

Edited by pezzy

15 minutes ago, pezzy said:

theres also staticice.com.au search engine if you dont know of it yet luc.

ebay has good deals from time to time as well. especially when there's those discount codes\periods.

Yeah thanks, Static Ice isn't too bad but it seems to miss a lot of sites in it's listings when you hit search, but I do use it a bit.

The best source of deals I've come across is OzBargain. It's a bit like SNA in it's community feel and the lads there know their stuff and point you in the right direction. As for eBay, the OzB lads are way ahead of it's curve but your right about the deals that can be found there.

But still..so far Amazon has blown every Aus site out of the water.

As an exercise, see if you can find a better price with free delivery for this PSU:

https://www.amazon.com.au/CORSAIR-RM550x-Fully-Modular-Supply/dp/B07JHRSHSV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+550w+psu&qid=1592566569&sr=8-1

I can't.

32 minutes ago, Luc said:

But still..so far Amazon has blown every Aus site out of the water.

I think in the current logistical nightmare is truly where Amazon really shines as it has full control over its supply chain. Its even poised to take over USPS if funding cannot be secured.

Unless you are strongly pushing performance/value I'd recommend getting a graphics card that allows the fans to idle, this drastically improves the perceived audibility. The current prices are insane even in the second hand gpu market even after the leak of the new upcoming series. 

For SSD don't be too hang up on getting the fastest m2/pcie just because your board supports it. The difference between sata ssd and m2/pcie is very negligible unless for specific workloads. 

B550 is a good choice, an upgrade path if next gen is really that much better and wifi 6!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Essence said:

For SSD don't be too hang up on getting the fastest m2/pcie just because your board supports it. The difference between sata ssd and m2/pcie is very negligible unless for specific workloads. 

Yes I'm learning that and in my situation I wont be moving huge files or video editing, it'll just be games basically. 500gb ssd will do with a 1 possibly 2tb hdd for storage. The case has slots for 6 drives and I cant see myself using them all. The B550 is what I'd like and one with usb-c  as there will be a future monitor upgrade and one cable connection is a bit less clutter and also ph charging as well.

I'm not rushing on the gpu and it'll be last purchase I think. They are expensive aren't they.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey Luc,

I'm not sure which card you ended up picking but if it has to be the 1660ti, you should get the 1660 Super instead.

The 1660S is a newer card and is only a few percent slower for almost 25% less. See here for what I mean: 

Personally I would get a 5600XT as it is very close to the 2060 Super in performance just without the ray tracing support (which at 2060 levels is only useful for Minecraft). It is also cheaper than the 1660ti. Only if your a fan boi would you choose the 1660ti over the 5600XT. However the savings for the 1660S make sense if you don't want to spend the extra $70-100.

See here:

I hope that helps mate.

Edited by Mungbean66
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mungbean66 said:

I'm not sure which card you ended up picking

Still choosing.  The guys on my discord channel are still suggesting the  msi radeon rx 5700 xt mech oc 8gb and I've been looking at https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6

Just looked at your YT link, the 5700 seems to run hot up at 70+c.

70 is actually quite cool. They can run near 100 degrees and be fine. It just means the fan will get louder.

I have the 5700XT Nitro and it's fantastic. The Mech OC will be fine and offer the same performance. Well worth the extra money Luc.