Sign in to follow this  
FreddieB

Full Marty driver placement

Hi all, looking for a little advice.  I am building a full marty sub and have a question about driver placement on the baffle.  It seems some place the driver in the middle of the baffle where some place the driver in the middle of the speaker, i.e. slightly lower then the center of the baffle due to the port.  EIther way it is aligned essentially to the port inlet which from what I've read isn't optimal.  My question is does it really matter?   I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.   For aesthetic reasons, and using a 2/5 3/5 split, I wanted to place the driver higher but seems the weight higher in the cabinet is not a good idea and it puts most of the driver right infront of the port inlet. 2/5 3/5 placed lower in the cabinet keeps most of the driver below the port inlet but in the shallow part of the cabinet.  Am I over thinking it? Just trying to figure out what tradeofs there are.

For the full marty sub, it won't matter much.

For other cabinet designs.... or for when you want to operate the cabinet up to higher frequencies than a sub would "normally" go .... then it can matter a lot.

Thanks Dave.

From a sub design perspective, it doesn't matter much, as Dave pointed out. From an integration and aesthetics perspective, it can make a bigger difference than you might think. Moving a driver by as little as 300mm can make a difference. So the position of the driver on the baffle matters as much as it prevents or allows you to get the optimal position. When a sub gets larger, this starts to matter more.