What are these things called

Thought long and hard about the title of this thread, can't come up with anything better lol.

On older amplifiers you used to get these little connectors that went between pre-outs and pre-ins , very short things, no idea what their purpose is.

Anyhow, I would like to know what they are called and where I can buy some please. My amps require them and currently using 500mm rca cables is messy

cheers

Solid RCA jumpers , needed to connect the preamp to power amp section of the amp . Obviously can be taken out when only the preamp section is required or power amp for that matter . Use Y connectors to bi amp with another power amp .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, powerinnumbers said:

anybody know of a hifi shop that sells please reply, otherwise, thanks and i'll have to watch ebay though the prices are extreme for simply short rca cables.

Maybe it's a silly question...can you buy the connectors and make your own?

4 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Maybe it's a silly question...can you buy the connectors and make your own?

I can make my own HD-SDI cables since I am a video guy , they would probably work fine like they do with my subwoofer but is 75 ohm coax the best for audio ( im not sure )

1 hour ago, powerinnumbers said:

Thought long and hard about the title of this thread, can't come up with anything better lol.

On older amplifiers you used to get these little connectors that went between pre-outs and pre-ins , very short things, no idea what their purpose is.

Anyhow, I would like to know what they are called and where I can buy some please. My amps require them and currently using 500mm rca cables is messy

cheers

WTF not take a pic and post it - just to make things perfectly clear for the punters here, who are trying to help you?  :(

49 minutes ago, powerinnumbers said:

I was hoping for ones that weren't snake oil expensive as I need 5 pairs

If you really do need 5 pairs ... it would seem they are not the "Solid RCA jumpers , needed to connect the preamp to power amp section of the amp " that @DEANO23 mentioned?

So you have me totally confused.  A pic of the back panel of your amp would be nice - with your current 500mm cables in place.

Andy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

WTF not take a pic and post it

why, pre-out>pre-in for each , no pic needed

If you really do need 5 pairs ... it would seem they are not the "Solid RCA jumpers

I need 5 pairs because I have 3 amps that need 3 channels on each , that makes 9 cables or 5 pairs. Sorry for the confusion,

Edited by powerinnumbers

3 minutes ago, powerinnumbers said:

why, pre-out>pre-in for each , no pic needed

I need 5 pairs because I have 3 amps that need 3 channels on each , that makes 9 cables or 5 pairs. Sorry for the confusion,

Just take the photo and post it, please. The more you write the hazier things are becoming.

2 minutes ago, powerinnumbers said:

why, pre-out>pre-in for each.

First time you've mentioned 3 amps!

Can I suggest, with a bit more thought than you gave to your initial post ... you could've come up with the following post, which - in conjunction with a pic of the back of one of your 3-channel amps - would've completely explained your situation:

I have 3x older, 3-channel amplifiers.  On older amplifiers, you used to get these little connectors that went between pre-outs and pre-ins , very short things.

My amps require them and I'm currently using 500mm rca cables - which is messy.

Anyhow, I would like to know what these little connectors are called and where I can buy some please.

cheers

Andy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andyr said:

First time you've mentioned 3 amps!

And I said sorry if that made it confusing

I thought it was a very easy to understand question, what are they called and i described where they went from and where they went to.

I have 3x older, 3-channel amplifiers. 

I have 3 x older amps that I am using with 6 CH input. These amps only have FL, FR, C channels for Pre-Out  to Pre-In , therefore only 3 required for each amp.

I do not have amps that have only 3 channels.

I'd be using quality myself instead of a hunk of steel or whatever, these are the link between pre amp stage and power amp stage.

But each to their own idea of what is needed, and if looking for a solution that is in line with the originals the Altronic ones are the go.

1 minute ago, muon* said:

if looking for a solution that is in line with the originals the Altronic ones are the go.

They did not come with any , they weren't necessarily  required since they had internal switching. Problem is over time these switches become corroded or such and channels stop working,  that requires terminating the pre-out>pre-in , or at least that's what often fixes the problem with this model.

• Like 1

OK, I'd be cleaning or replacing the switches myself, but then this way is easier.

Never mine me, I can be a bit pedantic at times. Or is a bit of an ass more appropriate xD