Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Pixels,

the 65" 2013 Sony 4K passive 3D set in Australia has the model number KD65X9004A. The owners' thread on this forum is at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/153796-owners-thread-4k-sony-2013-model-passive-3d-55-65-84/?hl=%2B4k

The 60" SXRD

No display or projector is perfect. In January 2007 I found the SXRD rear-pro the best choice, an outstanding feature at the time being the quality of its colour when displaying the content of a Blu-ray disc. The colour was better for my eyes than any of the plasma and flat panel displays I could find on display in showrooms. However my 60" SXRD had its limitations:

• silk screen effect
  • hot spot effect (the centre of the screen being brighter than the extremities)
  • physical overscan (inconvenient if trying to display a computer desktop)
  • low native contrast, and an automatic iris that affected the brightness of the whole of the screen.

After years of good service, it developed the issue of lowered blue output. (Even adjusting a graphics card to reduce the red and green drive to very low levels, there is still not enough blue.)

The 2013 Sony 65" 4K passive 3D set

The 2013 model Sony 65" 4K passive 3D set has these notable limitations:

• a relatively poor horizontal angle of view (a less direct viewing angle can give a "washed out" look)
  • vertical resolution in 3D is limited to the resolution of today's 3D Blu-ray discs, i.e. 1080 unique horizontal lines and 1080 unique vertical lines.
  • 3D viewing requires the viewer's eyes to be in a certain vertical angle range to minimise ghosting (this means the set must be mounted within height range compatible with the intended seating level of viewers)
  • the screen is highly reflective, making its use near windows in daylight a potential problem.

You ask about the colour. The colour is up to today's usual high standards for flat panel displays,* and this is maintained in 3D mode. The minimum black level is very low, and the whole of screen local dimming unobtrusive. The picture is a delight to watch! (The default gamma doesn't crush blacks, and there is plenty of brightness and contrast if your viewing environment is not overbright.)

In acquiring this set I was an early adopter of 4K, spurred on by my love of 3D and the fact that passive 3D suits my vision much better than 100Hz or even 120Hz active glasses 3D. I am using the 4K passive set to get good quality 2K 3D. When more 4K 2D content becomes available, that will be a bonus. [Graphics cards capable of HDMI at 60p 4K have still not been released, as best I know, but should be on the market before the end of this year.]

Are the SXRDs from 2006 still without peer?

What I've written in this post about my Sony 65" 4K set could be considered off topic, but in the early years of this thread queries were genuinely raised as to what displays could possibly replace the SXRD. I think technology has advanced to the point where not only the 2013 Sony 65" 4K passive 3D TV which I have described, but quite a few other TV models, equal or surpass the performance of the venerable Sony SXRDs manufactured in 2006.

* I am still not entirely satisfied with today's colour. Notably certain reds I see in real life I have never seen on any flat panel display. This is in part a matter of how the colour standards are defined: there are acknowleged gaps.

Previously edited July 7, 2014.
Edited July 18, 2017 to correct reference to type of dimming.

Edited by MLXXX

Yes, it seems we're at an impasse with 4k tv's equipped with only hdmi 2 and video cards fitted with displayport 1.2 and no way to get the two to talk to each other at the necessary 600mhz pixel clock to get 60p from a pc. :hmm:

Your quite right, we should leave this thread alone and move to another thread - perhaps Home Theatre > hdmi 2 thread.

Edited by Pixels

Yes, it seems we're at an impasse with 4k tv's equipped with only hdmi 2 and video cards fitted with displayport 1.2 and no way to get the two to talk to each other at the necessary 600mhz pixel clock to get 60p from a pc. :hmm:

Your quite right, we should leave this thread alone and move to another thread - perhaps Home Theatre > hdmi 2 thread.

A temporary impasse. On 19/5/14 I started a thread Htpc With 4K Passive Display - Some Thoughts. I propose to update that thread as soon as I hear of a video card on the market with HDMI 2.0 capability, i.e. 4k at 60p. (I'll also update the owners' thread for Sony 2013 year 4K passive sets.)

Edited by MLXXX

• 11 months later...

I have a KDL-40W3100. I picked it up 2HD for the kids to use to play xbox. It worked fine for about 20 mins and now has an issue. The red light on the front is blinking 10 times. From reading through other posts it says it is an error with Digital FE circuit (whatever that is!). Is this expensive to fix? Can you fix it yourself? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 7 months later...

G'Day

Anyone out there have troubleshooting experience on the Sony Bravia KDLX3100 series ?

I recently picked up a 52" with no display as a project to learn about LCD TV's and how to troubleshoot and fix as a side hobby.

The set will turn on and stay on with green LED, the back lights come though they do flicker (Not sure if they should be solid or flicker).

The screen is black but the back light flickering can be seen.Occasionally at random areas on the screen a horizontal line the full width of the screen will flick on then off.

There is no OSD/Menu either and haven't been able to access the diagnostic or service modes.

When I disconnect the left connector going from the UB1 board to the T-Con board the back lights shut off and the standby LED flashes red 5 times indicating a T-Con comms error.Plug the connector back in and it goes away.

When I do the opposite the top area of the screen develops green and pink speckled flickering on a white background.This does not cover the whole screen however.

From the info I've gathered on this model the problem is pointing towards the FB2 board which does all the video processing.

Doing some testing on the FB2 board I've found that there is no voltage reading at the F4600 fuse which appears to be related to the D-Sub connector.I'm unsure whether this only has a voltage when a connector is plugged so I'm not certain if this is related to my problem or not.

Reading a Sony training manual for the XBR4,XBR5,W3000 and VL130 series there is an amber "Heartbeat LED located on the FB1/FB3 boards that should be flashing.

The service manual for the X3100 makes no mention of this though the info between service manuals and training manuals is somewhat different.

In the area on the FB2 board where the heartbeat LED would be located(LHS lower area) I can see what looks like any other surface mount fuse or capacitor(A tiny rectangular block) but it's coloring is opaque rather than a brown,black,grey like all the others.It appears to be the only one like this on the board so it could be the LED spoken off in the other models.If so it's not flashing.

So this is where I'm at with this problem

If anyone has any experience with this model or has experienced similar problems I'd love to hear from you

Thanks

Steve

• 1 year later...

Olddddd thread revival. My 70" has just died, displaying 5 red blinks and won't display any picture. TV tech thinks the lamp driver needs replacing but unfortunately the part is no longer available from Sony. Can any one on here help sourcing a lamp driver or point me in the right direction before I finally put this behemoth television set to rest? 

Thanks!

On 6/22/2011 at 7:33 PM, Frank Castle said:

I bought the set second hand a few years ago off a member here

14 hours ago, Frank Castle said:

Can any one on here help sourcing a lamp driver or point me in the right direction before I finally put this behemoth television set to rest? 

Frank, the SXRDs in their heyday, ten years ago, were magnificent beasts, lords of the television jungle! I know some enthusiasts have in relatively recent times gone to extraordinary efforts to restore/maintain old SXRDs. (For example, Pixels, who posted just above in this thread.)

I myself would take a hard-nosed approach. After paying a tech perhaps a couple of hundred dollars to restore the lamp driver (a broad guesstimate as I'm not sure exactly what would be involved with that) how much longer could you reasonably expect the set to keep working?

Television display technology has advanced a great deal over the last ten years. I would allow the soul of your set to depart this world, and go to television heaven. 

P.S. I do have parts from my own old 60" SXRD but I suspect its lamp driver circuitry would very possibly differ from what a 70" set uses.

• 9 months later...

Just posting some links to settings for the Z9D:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DHbOHnfinMFLuJCwwf52Lnm-FQ9etqNy8dIKNHlxBk0/edit#gid=0

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-65-75zd9-settings-thread.2057416/

https://www.avforums.com/video/sony-kd-65zd9-best-tv-picture-settings.12935

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html#post46576609

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-65-75zd9-settings-thread.2057416/

How to check the hours:

1. TV must be in standby mode. (Power off).

2. Press the following buttons on the Remote Control within a second of each other: DISPLAY > Channel 5 > Volume - > POWER. (Make sure to hit Volume- and NOT Volume+.)

The panel hours will be the third number at the bottom left of the screen as illustrated below.

To exit the self-check diagnostic screen, turn off the power to the TV by pressing the POWER button on the remote or the POWER button on the TV.

Some 3D settings for the Z9D:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-192.html#post50046561

FW history:

Here are the firmware releases I have:

2016-11-18 - sony_dtvota_2016_1600612100_naa_auth:

"This software update (version PKG6.0612.0004NAA) provides general performance improvements of the TV."

Last Marshmallow release

2017-05-10 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602414100_naa_auth:

Android N

Picture-in-picture while in an app

Task-switching

Samba Interactive TV

Asphalt Nitro

BT audio support (only applicable to E models and not the Z)

Hybrid Log-Gamma (can be used via USB/Home Network and HDMI)

Improved Settings Screen (Shows up as a pane on the right instead of taking the whole screen)

Can use multiple Google accounts on the TV

2017-07-11 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602648100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2648.0065NAA) provides the following changes and benefits:

Improvements over version PKG6.2414.0040NAA:

Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices

Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops

Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync

Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content

2017-10-03 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602669100_naa_auth:

Not sure about what's changed in this release. The notes I have are as follows.

Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices

Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops

Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync

Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content

2017-11-07 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602676100_naa_auth

"This software update (version PKG6.2676.0070NAA) adds the Google Assistant function."

2018-01-16 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602818100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2818.0070NAA) provides the following benefits:

Improves general performance of the TV

Adds support for Dolby Vision™ content

2018-03-20 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602858100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2858.00082NAA) provides the following benefits:

Improves general performance of the TV

Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback

Resolves a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels

AppleTV 4K DV already works - looks phenomenal

Thanks

Waiting for it to come to the players. I guess LG's implemented system seems more robust.

Sony requires the player to have the needed code for DV to work.

Looking forward to seeing it. Cheers

I got sent some questions which I think current Z9D owners may be able to - please ask in the forum guys, my set hasn't arrived yet :)

Q1:

Is the power cord detachable

Q2:

Is the blinking / flashing issue seen in the AVS forum fixed or do we have it locally?

Cheers

Some notes about Sony's pricing..

They are pretty strict on discounts, almost Mac-like in keeping prices consistent..

LG often organises sales, with real discounts, freebies etc. The stores also price the runout items at real discounts. For Sony, you need to approach the sales staff, intimate to them that you are really in the market and willing to buy right there.

If there are runout stuff, you are likely to get a good deal. If you offer to buy the insurance/warranty, the sales staff will be more likely to package something together for you.

Since there are a few folks looking for the Z9D, why not come together and talk to the reps together?

All the best, and enjoy your buys!

I got sent some questions which I think current Z9D owners may be able to - please ask in the forum guys, my set hasn't arrived yet :)

Q1:

Is the power cord detachable

Q2:

Is the blinking / flashing issue seen in the AVS forum fixed or do we have it locally?

Cheers

Q1 : Didn't really see how it was attached during the installation but I somehow couldn't get it detached from the TV. Afraid might damage the socket (if it exists) or cable, hence never dare use too much force so gave up.

Q2 : Oh, don't worry about all those issues discussed in those AVS or AV forums. Most if a not all have already been resolved with the firmware updates. I never have had any issue since the previous firmware update before the current one. Used to have some motion issues at the beginning but now the set is working perfectly, better than my newer 9400E.

Detachable cord important for me as I run the cables thru my feature wall. I was told by the sales at Best that it is detectable but best to double check the manual. I am also looking for a 65” TV, maybe a 9000 or 8500 series.

Q1 : Didn't really see how it was attached during the installation but I somehow couldn't get it detached from the TV. Afraid might damage the socket (if it exists) or cable, hence never dare use too much force so gave up.

Q2 : Oh, don't worry about all those issues discussed in those AVS or AV forums. Most if a not all have already been resolved with the firmware updates. I never have had any issue since the previous firmware update before the current one. Used to have some motion issues at the beginning but now the set is working perfectly, better than my newer 9400E.

Thanks bro - thumbs up!

I downloaded the local manual and it talks about cleaning the AC lead and not using a non-Sony lead. That seems to suggest that the lead is detachable..

Anyway for my older TV, I got the electrician to fashion an IEC plug, so even if it's non-detachable, that's no big deal..

Thinking of getting the 65" Z9D to replace me 7 yrs-old Pana plasma.

Had wanted to get the LG C7 initially but read good reviews on the Z9D too.

Any idea what is the best price for this runout model?

IIRC it was still rather high a couple of months back compared to the C7.

Thanks bro - thumbs up!

I downloaded the local manual and it talks about cleaning the AC lead and not using a non-Sony lead. That seems to suggest that the lead is detachable..

Anyway for my older TV, I got the electrician to fashion an IEC plug, so even if it's non-detachable, that's no big deal..

For 65inch Z9D the power cord is not detachable, not sure about other sizes

Thinking of getting the 65" Z9D to replace me 7 yrs-old Pana plasma.

Had wanted to get the LG C7 initially but read good reviews on the Z9D too.

Any idea what is the best price for this runout model?

IIRC it was still rather high a couple of months back compared to the C7.

I think you will find the C7 much cheaper, if you can still find one..

The discount/ price drops will be higher on the larger and less popular models..

The flagship HN store has a large selection and now is the time to get those 2017 models.