Hi Guys,

I hope everyone is safe and following the isolation and stay safe rules during this tough times. Take care.

Question about a DAC.

listening to my recently acquired Monitor Audio speaker with Rotel 971 MKll amplifier.

Today , I just added my old Fiio E17 DAC and headphone amp, vow immediately the sound signature become very impressive. Now the music is very clear and high are smooth.

But the DAC supports only 16bit/48khz , if I play music from tidal master or Spotify or youtube irrespective of the source quality.

So all the music is streamed in 16/48khz by Fiio? If the quality is low the DAC upgrade the sound?

Please excuse me for the dumb question, This is my first DAC for stereo music.

Oppo AX7 mobile

Thanks 

SBM

IMG_20200401_120516.jpg

IMG_20200401_120502.jpg

Edited by SBM
Update
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, SBM said:

So all the music is streamed in 16/48khz by Fiio? If the quality is low the DAC upgrade the sound?

No the DAC just uses whatever you send to it.  Where is the digital data coming from - your PC?

56 minutes ago, PleasantSounds said:

Could it be that your source outputs everything in 48k?

The E17 goes up to 24/192 (SPDIF) and 24/96 (USB)

Thanks, I do not know how to connect spidf to Mobile source. Do you know?

34 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

No the DAC just uses whatever you send to it.  Where is the digital data coming from - your PC?

Thanks from mobile phone

19 minutes ago, SBM said:

Thanks from mobile phone

Well depending on type of phone and the app you are using, you should read up on how to change what is being sent to the DAC.

I will be curious how you find Chromecast Audio. I really didn't like it. I did think E17 was alright though. 

check what your phone is outputting and if there any settings. Plus check your app to see what settings y have in there.

29 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Plus check your app to see what settings y have in there.

or change to one the good apps that do have settings.  Neutron or Power Amp spring to mind.

looking at your photo you are just using your fiio as an amp,you need to connect it to your phone by a usb cable to make it get a digital signal and operate as a dac and amp

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, rf1963 said:

looking at your photo you are just using your fiio as an amp,you need to connect it to your phone by a usb cable to make it get a digital signal and operate as a dac and amp

Agree with rf1963 100%, make sure you get a OTG usb cable. 

1 hour ago, rf1963 said:

Thanks,will do as suggested. I hope this will help. Attchment

Screenshot_2020-04-03-20-43-46-40.png

Edited by SBM
Up
1 hour ago, dolphy said:

Thanks

2 hours ago, SBM said:

Are you using an iPhone? The phone in your photos looks like an iPhone with a headphone jack. If you are using and iPhone then watch this video:

With iPhones at times they give a message that the accessory is using too much power. If you get that then one solution is shown in the video. Another solution is to turn of USB charging on E17 when it's connected to the iPhone and charge the E17 at other times. 

if you are using an iPhone and go from lightning/30 pin on the phone to 3.5mm on E17 then the iPhone's DAC is being used still. You need to go in to the USB input of the E17.

if you are using an android phone then I am sure that google will show you the way ;) You would still need to go from USB socket of the phone to the USB socket of the E17.

Edited by gwurb
7 hours ago, SBM said:

That won’t do it. As I posted in the other thread, you need an “on the go” (OTG) cable

1 hour ago, sakabatou said:

That won’t do it. As I posted in the other thread, you need an “on the go” (OTG) cable

6 hours ago, gwurb said:

Are you using an iPhone? The phone in your photos looks like an iPhone with a headphone jack. If you are using and iPhone then watch this video:

With iPhones at times they give a message that the accessory is using too much power. If you get that then one solution is shown in the video. Another solution is to turn of USB charging on E17 when it's connected to the iPhone and charge the E17 at other times. 

if you are using an iPhone and go from lightning/30 pin on the phone to 3.5mm on E17 then the iPhone's DAC is being used still. You need to go in to the USB input of the E17.

if you are using an android phone then I am sure that google will show you the way ;) You would still need to go from USB socket of the phone to the USB socket of the E17.

Thanks it's android phone with mini b USB. So I need to buy 'mini B USB to USB A' female otg cable. Much appreciated your help.

16 hours ago, dolphy said:

Hi mate, I used a otg USB cable and it's not working on my android mobile. 

19 hours ago, gwurb said:

I will be curious how you find Chromecast Audio. I really didn't like it. I did think E17 was alright though. 

check what your phone is outputting and if there any settings. Plus check your app to see what settings y have in there.

I connected otg USB cable and it's not working on the android mobile.

2 minutes ago, SBM said:

too early a version of Android perhaps?  Try different apps like I suggested.

31 minutes ago, SBM said:

You may have to configure your player to output the sound through USB - it probably still feeds the headphone plug.

If there's no option then look for a different player. I'm very happy with the Onkyo HF Player,  although it may feel overwhelming at first.

43 minutes ago, SBM said:

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40280

turn off USB charging on E17. Make sure the input on E17 is set to USB. In system preferences there may be a preference for USB out type, set that to Audio. Some media players can set output but if your player is not one of those and Android doesn't automatically play through USB then you may need to set it manually.

you have OTG cable plugged in to the mobile, then another cable plugged in to the OTG cable and the E17?

Edited by gwurb