Lenehan Foilflex Speaker Cables

teagle

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my 3 metre set of Foil Flex speaker cables and a .75 m set of XLR Interconnects about 12 months ago They replaced a set of Shunyata Research Alpha cables which cost me a bomb. How much better were they?

Just sensational and the best value cabling to be had. Great review of some great cabling. Well done Mike Lenehan.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here is another review...

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/cables-reviews/analog-interlink-reviews/foilflex-interlinks-and-speaker-cables-part-1/

And for those who just like to skip to the conclusion and skip the fluff and waffle...

Conclusion

FoilFlex aims to provide very high performance as well as great value and if there’s one thing that my experience with these cables made clear it is that this is no hollow claim. Both the speaker cables and interlinks provide absolutely insane quality considering their relatively low cost.

Yes, they can be bettered but only when spending much more, and even then, they can only be improved upon in certain aspects. These cables’ strongest attributes are transparency and resolution and in these fields, they are near-impossible to beat, even when the cost is no object. If hearing precisely what is in the recordings is the objective then I wholeheartedly recommend giving these cables a go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All       

I guess you guys have read the two reviews for the FoilFlex cables !! BUT  I often wondered why Wojciech that did the HighFidelity.pl review wasn't completely blown asunder by what the FoilFlex cables did in his his system ??

I knew his  Siltech Triple Crown speaker cables were quite high end but I didn't rrealise they were generally considered the best speaker cables in the world !!! and wait for it   >>> cost  US$68,000 per pair  WHAT ?  Thats Aud$107,000 .

Check out what he says about the comparo here in the paragraph below .

And Greensleeves is another story - this is probably the only (I have to check it out) album from this label recorded on a reel-to-reel tape recorder (if I understand correctly - there is the PCM logo on OBI); and it was released on vinyl. There is a lot of interesting things to talk about concerning this release, but dynamic contrasts particularly draw attention - they are incredible. And the FoilFlex cables conveyed it very accurately - almost as well as the Siltech Triple Crown cables, they were compared to. Silver cables from the Netherlands sound darker, have a more velvety background, but these differences were quite small.

Hmmmmmm  interesting huh ?   the Siltech Triple Crowns cost  56 times that of the FoilFlex.               Cheers and keep lisnin   Mike Lenehan

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Lenehan Audio said:

I knew his  Siltech Triple Crown speaker cables were quite high end but I didn't rrealise they were generally considered the best speaker cables in the world !!! and wait for it   >>> cost  US$68,000 per pair  WHAT ?  Thats Aud$107,000 .

Nah I only consider them the most expensive speaker cable in the world, nothing more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, awayward said:

Same here, you just need his power cables now ?

Not really.

Unlike IC and speaker cables , power cables make zero improvement to any given system and nobody has ever been able to test/verify their clams rigorously.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Not really.

Unlike IC and speaker cables , power cables make zero improvement to any given system and nobody has ever been able to test/verify their clams rigorously.

Well. No debate but but. 

I think mike is too honest to do that,

would be interesting to see the big USA  mags do a review,,

not that lenehan needs the exposure ,I’m sure the word of mouth had worked quite well, he seems to quite busy ,

it’s not that the cables are a bargain ,it’s the true price one needs to pay for ,a world class product, with no BS thrown  in to add to the cost ,

just shows how expensive other cables are, for the performance they give,

I have his cables, 

ml 5 is on my shopping list 

Interesting when you invest in top-end cables how little they are worth as a trade-in with audio dealers. I had a set of  Shunyata Alpha RCA Interconnects and they were a joke to use as a trade-in. As Mike Lenehan explained to me once the $ involved in producing cables is "ridiculous".

• Like 1

Hi All. I have just received a 1.5m and a .5m pair of Foilflex XLR interconnects. I was astounded at the improvement these cables offered. I have ordered 2 pairs of Foilflex speaker cables. These cables are just so alive,open and dynamic it makes listening addictive and so much fun. My system is quite complex which is always a challenge. I have  active 3 way.   JBL K2 S9500,  PHL  18inch from 80hz down. The JBLs are bi-amped. amplification is Accphase A46.  Belcanto ref1000  mono.  ARION HS500  mono for the horns.  I will add my assessment on the speaker cables when they have a little run in time. These dont seem as critical on burn in as some. Regards Kevin.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rantan said:

Not really.

I think a GTG is needed for that one.   I have heard differences but thats just me - I am as easily fooled as anyone else.

Thanks

Bill

6 hours ago, rantan said:

Whilst your assertion  in that to "test/verify their clams rigorously" may be valid to you where is your proof that they don't.  To some of us there is a benefit. 

Maybe

15 minutes ago, bhobba said:

I think a GTG is needed for that one. 

We will have to wait awhile before a GTG could happen.  Especially if it is a Mike's because of the border matters.

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bammo said:

Anyone explain/know if these are different from the ribbontek?

RibbonTek is the original that was sold to ETI I believe, they were followed by I think FoilTek and now further developed again with the FoilFlex.

I have the RibbonTek and think they are very good even if they are not as good as the latest.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bammo said:

Anyone explain/know if these are different from the ribbontek?

Hi, mate, you can read about the FoilTek that followed the RibbonTek here.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/106486-new-cables-from-lenehanaudio/

And of course the FoilFlex raise the bar a bit again.

It would be nice if Mike can spend some time to explain technology, parts or at least design point of view. There is not much information on the website, want to support local products but so far I can only find word of mouth and comparisons with several times more expensive cables. If some makers want to do similar, they just need to buy and chop the cables to analyze them, those are not rocket science to be honest. In high end market, I think design philosophy, craftsmanship and material quality made the difference.

https://foilflexcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/loudspeaker-cables-per-pair

I am not sure how many people are willing to spend some grands for a mystery box and purely on trust. I saw curious usb cable has done very well in term of sharing info and been very well respected globally

Edited by ikhuong

20 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

It would be nice if Mike can spend some time to explain technology, parts or at least design point of view. There is not much information on the website, want to support local products but so far I can only find word of mouth and comparisons with several times more expensive cables. If some makers want to do similar, they just need to buy and chop the cables to analyze them, those are not rocket science to be honest. In high end market, I think design philosophy, craftsmanship and material quality made the difference.

https://foilflexcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/loudspeaker-cables-per-pair

I am not sure how many people are willing to spend some grands for a mystery box and purely on trust. I saw curious usb cable has done very well in term of sharing info and been very well respected globally

Save your money then if unhappy or message Mike direct .

9 minutes ago, evil c said:

Save your money then if unhappy or message Mike direct .

I have not bought the cables but I am curious and interested for future upgrade, I did buy a few Curious cables from Mike’s site.

so nothing to be unhappy, just a thought as I found nearly zero information on the website which encourages direct manufacturer purchase.

curious cables are on the opposite, lots of explanation and info 

Edited by ikhuong

Even the reviewer was guessing https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/cables-reviews/reviews-digital-cable/curious_usb_cable/
The FoilFlex website does not list any information with respect to the materials but what I know is that a copper foil is used for the conductors. The connectors are gold-plated such as the Neutrik XLR and the Bullet Plug cinch. The speaker cable spades and bananas appear to be non-plated pure copper or a copper alloy.”