Pioneer SE-5 Monitors - User Review , Opinions ?

Hello Everyone

Whilst enjoying looking at the apocalypse from my window, and sharpening my survival skills playing apocalypse video games, I was thinking of buying a good closed back headphone as one of my bucket list tick offs (in case if i have to go pushing daisies).

Now , i already have Hifiman Ananda, Sony MDR Z1R, Focal Clear and was looking at something to compliment my headphone setup with a closed back with wide soundstage and something that perfectly suits listening to orchestras, classical etc (I do care about quality bass, not slam).

I came across (what seems from user reviews) a hidden gem, Pioneer SE-5 Monitor.

Anyone with any reviews, opinions , previous owners, lovers , ex-lovers (haters) , stalkers ? friends turned foes  with Pioneer SE-5 Monitors ?

(dont want to spend $1500+ on headphones as I have to leave a huge chunk of my money -- $500 to be exact, fortune for my wicked wife !!!)

Open to purchasing used headphones as well, if the item makes sense

Thanks

Good review on these here on SNA;

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-pioneer-se-monitor-5-headphones/

interestingly a couple of Aus sellers are selling them for $850 on EBay, which is around half the original RRP.

They look really well made.

i have the Beyerdynamic T5p closed which I absolutely love. These can be had for $1099 currently and would be a decent comparison to the Pioneer.

Another prospect to save some dollars would be the Fostex th series on mass drop (drop). I have owned the originals and they have really good bass amongst other attributes.

Edited by Ray H

53 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Good review on these here on SNA;

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-pioneer-se-monitor-5-headphones/

interestingly a couple of Aus sellers are selling them for $850 on EBay, which is around half the original RRP.

They look really well made.

i have the Beyerdynamic T5p closed which I absolutely love. These can be had for $1099 currently and would be a decent comparison to the Pioneer.

Another prospect to save some dollars would be the Fostex th series on mass drop (drop). I have owned the originals and they have really good bass amongst other attributes.

These two, T5P Gen2 v/s Pioneer SE-5 is exactly what I am looking at....torn between the 2 , not sure which one to go with.

Hence seeking views & opinions here...

Fostex TH Series to me sounds to bassy and muddy. (minus TH900 mk2)

Yep,

I have beyer T5p2 and Astell & Kern version of the same which come with a nice balanced cable. When they run in the t5p2 has a really good sound stage for a closed back, they also have a really balanced sound, ie no overblown bass or treble. Build quality is fantastic too. They react well to a cable upgrade.

good luck with the search.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Yep,

I have beyer T5p2 and Astell & Kern version of the same which come with a nice balanced cable. When they run in the t5p2 has a really good sound stage for a closed back, they also have a really balanced sound, ie no overblown bass or treble. Build quality is fantastic too. They react well to a cable upgrade.

good luck with the search.

Thanks soooooo very much for your views on T5p

Any chance you can give me a brief comparison with any other closed back cans just so that I know the reference point..

I am just confused to I spend 1100 on these vs $850 on Pioneer

Different.

Planar but Mr Speakers planar. So not big bassy things. Detailed, clear, pretty neutral. Comfort for days.

T5P (must be gen 2), dynamic driver, built like a tank like all Beyers.

At 1099 new the T5P is a great price. The Ether C / Flow / CX started life as a pretty expensive headphone, but time and the massdrop version has brought prices down.

Edited by Bengineer

50 minutes ago, aasza said:

Perhaps another option to consider Denon AH-D7200

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254395368018

These are normally a $1700 can

That’s a very good find :)

I read somewhere that these fall more in the category of a V shaped can.

was looking for something neutral , with large soundstage and imaging ...pre-dominantly for classical.

i have an MDR Z1R .... new can needs to be different to that 

do you want to share your opinion of these 2 cans , or any other, if my perception is not accurate ?

The only experience I have with Denon cans was the original AH-D7000 which were heavily modified by Lawton Audio in the states (tuning, cable, pads and cup mods) I regret selling them as they were a beautifully made Japanese headphone that you could listen to for hours without any listening fatigue or discomfort.

I owned the Z1R's briefly but had to sell for financial reasons so I never really gave them enough listening time to form an opinion, but I did like my Z7's and I've been told the Z1R are pretty much the same sound signature just more refined.

I had a set of Focal Elegia... a nice can but TERRIBLE MICROPHONICS for a can in that price range (my current $200 ATH-M50X have less microphonics)

I'm in the market for some new closed back cans at the moment myself so I'm doing much research......

I've narrowed my choices down to either Fostex TH900's or A Mr Speakers Offering (Ether CX perhaps)

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, aasza said:

The only experience I have with Denon cans was the original AH-D7000 which were heavily modified by Lawton Audio in the states (tuning, cable, pads and cup mods) I regret selling them as they were a beautifully made Japanese headphone that you could listen to for hours without any listening fatigue or discomfort.

I owned the Z1R's briefly but had to sell for financial reasons so I never really gave them enough listening time to form an opinion, but I did like my Z7's and I've been told the Z1R are pretty much the same sound signature just more refined.

I had a set of Focal Elegia... a nice can but TERRIBLE MICROPHONICS for a can in that price range (my current $200 ATH-M50X have less microphonics)

I'm in the market for some new closed back cans at the moment myself so I'm doing much research......

I've narrowed my choices down to either Fostex TH900's or A Mr Speakers Offering (Ether CX perhaps)

Thanks for your inputs @aasza

It will be good to share info about what you purchased, when you do.

Will be interested to know the whys & the wherefores.

Edited by peppy