If you had to do it all over again

On 30/03/2020 at 9:05 PM, mpearce38 said:

If you sold every bit of kit you had and started from scratch what would you do?

I would weep at the loss.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy everything second hand.  

Straight to actives..........

I would have fully understood the law of diminishing returns (applies equally to my wine collection).   And I would have listened with my own ears, not what I thought I should be hearing (ac

Mmm, my answer has changed.  I'd get the bundle of Linear Tube Audio Z10 Integrated,  Lampizator DAC and Spatial M3 speakers that they sell for $10k USD. Would likely sound as good as what I have for less complexity and money 

• Like 1

Great thread.

2 things;

1.  We talk endlessly about speakers, dacs, cables, chopping boards,  subs etc on and on we go, totally forgetting how important the source is.  Doesn't matter what you have downstream, if your source is shite.

2. The poor man always buys twice.  Get good quality 1st time. 

If I had a chance to do it all again I would not sign up to planet audio, by doing so I would enjoy a prosperous life.

@Marc, you have so much to answer for. 😩

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

If I had a chance to do it all again I would not sign up to planet audio, by doing so I would enjoy a prosperous life.

sometimes I think being a crack addict would be cheaper 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, metal beat said:

sometimes I think being a crack addict would be cheaper 😉

and less addictive

• Haha 1
  • Administrators
8 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Don't worry. I'm a victim and an addict too as a result of this site. When I started it, I had only a casual interest in Hi-Fi.

Now ...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Marc said:

Don't worry. I'm a victim and an addict too as a result of this site. When I started it, I had only a casual interest in Hi-Fi.

Now ...

I would rather die by my own sword than yours, just saying....

I overhauled my system just before home active speakers really took off in the marketplace, so I'd check out actives now. Less wiring and less angst trying to match the amplifier to the speaker. 

I'd also focus on what source components and software allow me to access my music most easily (whether in a digital or physical format). The more accessible the music is, the more you'll play and enjoy it.

• Like 1

If I had to start all over again, I think I'd buy a 12 foot tinnie and do a lot of fishing.  

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

A really good valve preamp driving active speakers which use current drive amplifiers.

And that can all be Australian made because what is made here is probably as good as anything and arguably a lot better value.

A Supratek preamp driving active SGR or Lenard Audio speakers for example.

A really good valve preamp driving active speakers which use current drive amplifiers.

And that can all be Australian made because what is made here is probably as good as anything and arguably a lot better value.

A Supratek preamp driving active SGR or Lenard Audio speakers for example.

25 minutes ago, Cafad said:

If I had to start all over again, I think I'd buy a 12 foot tinnie and do a lot of fishing.  

I would buy a Sunseeker Predator and still be ahead.   

• Like 1

Yeah but what sound system would you choose to have on the tinnie, Sunseeker and yacht 🙂