Speaker recommendations for close to wall & far apart

4 minutes ago, wen said:

@mpearce38, @Aperalim suggested to reverse the room configuration, i agree that this would be the most cost effective move seeing you are happy with the PMC speakers, have you considered this, the door wouldn't be such an issue?

Unfortunately not an option there is a recess which houses the projector and AV cabinet 

2 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I love my PMCs, but I believe you would benefit from trying speakers specifically designed for near wall optimum performance.  The best option imo is Audio Note.  

https://www.audionote.co.uk/an-e-speakers

I guess this is an example of wide baffle design looks intresting

18 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

Unfortunately not an option there is a recess which houses the projector and AV cabinet 

Aha understood OK time for Plan E : )

Rehanging your doors (inverted L-R) seems a good idea will be affordable and, most importantly, will maximise your choices of speakers by giving you the most floorspace within which to accommodate a number of options well out from your front wall.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mpearce38 said:

Would  Harbeth fit that description?

I'm not going to argue with the advice above about the Harbeths as probably not a great option however if you like that style of speaker Audio Note UK speakers are designed to be placed in the corners so may well suit your room as it is.

The other speakers I can think of that is designed to be close to the rear wall are the 4xxx series JBLs though might be a bit of a squeeze in that space....

Some of the early Thiels were also designed to be close to the back wall though the from the pair I've heard the soundstage was slightly compromised.

9 hours ago, mpearce38 said:

Was also thinking  if a pair of electrostatic speakers would be a option

No, the complete opposite actually.

Being a dipole speaker electrostats  generally need to be a fair way out in the room.

54 minutes ago, Irek said:

That door can be converted into sliding/hanging door. 

Agreed but that could be a much more expensive option than refitting the locking hardware and its also more challenging to acoustically seal a sliding door as effectively as these doors appear to seal already?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Buchardt S400's sound perfect for your situation.  I currently have mine in a very similar room to yours and it sounds incredible, especially for electronic and vocals which I listen a lot to.  Just need a decent amp to drive them and solid stands.

They also now do an active speaker and have free delivery and a 30 day return policy so could be worth a shot.

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks looks like a very interesting design, shame the exchange rate is so poor atm as they are quite exy.

Ive been playing around with the room a lot the last week, given it is a great escape from the world atm.

have pulled the speaker as far forward as possible into the room and payed with moving the panels around and pulled the couch forward a little to try and get close to the equilateral  triangle.

also played around with the DSP in roon, As well as tweaking with my signal chain, which involves a highly entertaining 3 way DAC shootout. Also have a measurement mix comming so hope to use the roon DSP functionality 

Ive reach a good point with the room certainly the best it has sounded, thanks for all the suggestions 

im trying to sell off some gear to funds stage two for the room which will be 

-upgrading my cables

-simplifying my music source with a roon based Streamer / integrated like the Hegel 190

-experiment with some bass traps and additional diffusers 

3 hours ago, Jambro said:

I think the Buchardt S400's sound perfect for your situation.  I currently have mine in a very similar room to yours and it sounds incredible, especially for electronic and vocals which I listen a lot to.  Just need a decent amp to drive them and solid stands.

They also now do an active speaker and have free delivery and a 30 day return policy so could be worth a shot.

Good luck!

I’d be interested to know how far from the wall you have these. The rear facing woofer is very interesting I’ve seen rear tweeter designs and side loaded subs but never rear subs??

what kind of amp do you recon they would need?

3 hours ago, Jambro said:

Good luck!

Interested to know how far you have there from the rear wall, rear about the rear facing woofer and the dsp / room correction in the actives looks very interesting in deed, may have to investigate once the dollar recovers 

what amp are you running and what wound they need?

Edited by mpearce38