Speaker recommendations for close to wall & far apart

Intrested in recommendations for a pair of speakers that work well when place closer to a wall 20-30cm and relatively far apart around 2.2m. I listen in a medium sized room 3.8 X 4.1 which is well dampend.

Currently running PMC 25.23s which I really happy with just wondering if there  is anything else i should put on my radar especially in the active category. I like to listen to rock, electronic and acoustic music, and my priorities are detail retrieval and imaging  without sounding flat and analytical. 

The PMCs seem to have worked the best in my room but Ideally they need to sit about 50-60cm forward of where they are to really image well but a door way forbids that location, I've tried the below before and moved them all on so looking at other options

Usher Mini Dancers 

Vivid 1.5

Dynaudio X12

PSB Synchrony 1s

PSB Synchrony 2s

Tannoy XTF6

Concept 40s

KEF LS40s

Edited by mpearce38

It's changed a bit now running a moon 340i, Also a roksan Caspian M2 which does an admiral job. Also had a Supernait which did an excellent job in the end the moon won out for convenience with its on board DAC and phono pre. Had a demo of a Roksan Blak which would have been a definite keeper of it only had pre outs for the sub

Edited by mpearce38

Can you please provide a sketch of your room, where your speakers are and your sitting position.

Yes, everyone has room limitations and WAF consideration in a non dedicated room. But NO speaker will sound good if poorly positioned, especially for bass.

here is a pic of the situation, as you can see i can't bring the speakers any further into the room unless they are closer to the centre.

with the PMC bringing them close together compresses my sound stage, when I leave them at the same plane but bring them 30cm more forward they hit the sweet spot. Pushing them further back and they are in the corners which causes all kinds of nasty room interactions

IMG_8865 copy.jpg

My first thought is to convert it to a sliding door.. especially when you consider how it allows all kinds of speakers

Having a rear ported with a bung: IMO doesn't sound the same

Front ported speakers are not as common..

The B&W 805 falls into this - I've used past editions and they sound very good. 

If your money stretches to it, the 804 is nice, but the towers will prefer some space around them..  so having a speaker so close to the wall is hard.

The Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is a very nice speak, and works well close to the wall but it's not exactly comparable to your other choices...

Show us a photo from the other side mate. Looks a pretty simple fix to me, change  the strap bolt, door stop and handle. Would be a bit bogging and patching but any decent chippy or handyman should be able to sort it

• Like 1

Haha great minds think alike, I'm big on the room treatments and have a London 10 kit already with diffusion on the rear walls 

No issues with the sound quality tonaly it's all about the imaging and not being able to have the speakers in their sweet spot. Hence why thinking different speaker might work better if closer together as the PMC do like a bit of width

One of my rooms is very similar to that.It was formerly used as an office but I changed it to a second audio room.

My Yamaha NS75Ts sound really good in there in that type of position.Wide baffle ,stand mount, sealed box speakers suit it best.Which really limits your choice but such speakers do exist.

10 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

Would  Harbeth fit that description?

No.Lossy style cabinets are likely to overload the corners.Most Harbeths are also ported.

I also built a pair of Meniscus Kairos kit speakers in the sealed box version which work well in there.

Guest deanB
2 hours ago, mpearce38 said:

I have also been thinking about the ATC 19A being sealed design and keen to.try activies

If you do look into the 19 actives, try them with the CDA2 pre/dac/cdp. I borrowed one from @JDWest/Sublime Hifi for a few days. Would make for a very good minimalist system.

7 hours ago, mpearce38 said:

Haha great minds think alike, I'm big on the room treatments and have a London 10 kit already with diffusion on the rear walls 

No issues with the sound quality tonaly it's all about the imaging and not being able to have the speakers in their sweet spot. Hence why thinking different speaker might work better if closer together as the PMC do like a bit of width

Have you try to move one or more panels behind speakers? They should help to absorb reflections from back and side walls. 

The best set up to reduce reflections is below, I have one behind the speaker one in the corner and one at the 1st reflection point.  I have the single tile on the front wall behind the projector screen which has an acoustically transparent screen

I'd love to play with having more diffusors as the room is quite dead 

IMG_5268 copy.jpg

Edited by mpearce38