A few questions to play catch up.

Right I have a few questions about both streaming and equipment used to do so. I've been kinda lazy over the past 6-12 months as far as critical listening goes. A few reasons including broken speakers. broken TT, broken amp/cd player, blown up NAS, lost interest and too busy.  Sp I listen to mainly Tidal Hifi and Masters where I can. I have two ways I can do it. One is through my Cambridge Audio CXN V1 using it's software and the other is through my laptop plugged into a Topping D10 via a 5m USB cable. I'm not a huge fan of the CXN sound which I think plays at 24/96?

The Topping sounds a little more detailed to my ears and plays at maybe 24/192 I think. Is it worth stepping up in DAC to one of the better Toppings? Such as a D50, or should I look at something that can unpack MQA like the Project Pre Box S2, or something different again (for less than $1k). Also, would it be worth trying Qobuz against Tidal? So in summary, is it worth 1. updating DAC 2. Trying different streaming service and 3. Is the CXN obsolete, too old now?

Cheers

Blake.

@blakey72The Topping D90 is supposedly a giant slayer.  I'd go the D90(MQA dac) and subscribe to Tidal.  I know MQA is a moot point for many, but I know a number of SNA'ers  who love it, swear by it. Where else would you get this kind of sound quality for approx $1,200-$1,300.

cheers Frank 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maximus said:

@blakey72The Topping D90 is supposedly a giant slayer.  I'd go the D90(MQA dac) and subscribe to Tidal.  I know MQA is a moot point for many, but I know a number of SNA'ers  who love it, swear by it. Where else would you get this kind of sound quality for approx $1,200-$1,300.

cheers Frank 

Hey Frank. Yeah I was considering something that would 'unwrap' MQA instead of relying on it being half unwrapped by tidal software. I will be looking into this, thanks.

• 1 month later...