TIDAL Deals & Offers

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

One thing I noticed is that previously Hi Fi showed as 96kHz on my dac, but now everything seems to default at 384kHz (which is presumably what MQA Masters resolves to). This rate is displayed whether I am playing a regular hi fi track or the ones labelled as Masters. 

Every track labelled "Master" that I play  shows on the player, AND on the DAC, as 44.1kHz.   I guess that's the default on upnp.  Even with MQA working, it sounds a bit like your player is upsampling?

Edited by aussievintage

23 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Every track labelled "Master" that I play  shows on the player, AND on the DAC, as 44.1kHz.   I guess that's the default on upnp. 

To correct this a bit.  I just finally found some better masters.  A Rush track I just played was 48kHz flac and 48kHz master, and it played at 48kHz on my system via upnp.  A Norah Jones track is 48kHz flac, and 96kHz master, and it plays at 48kHz.

iirc the biggest increase in fidelity is when you go from 16 to 24 bit. The kHz doesn't affect it as much.

My current main amp doesn't tell me that info, but it does on my AVR's Tidal app and on another amp I have so I'll check it out again.

5 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

iirc the biggest increase in fidelity is when you go from 16 to 24 bit. The kHz doesn't affect it as much.

My current main amp doesn't tell me that info, but it does on my AVR's Tidal app and on another amp I have so I'll check it out again.

According to the the player ( mconnect) , and the renderer (moOde), the flac file is 24 bit.

40 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

or the operating system or drivers.

Bingo. The Gross dac drivers present several options. On JRiver I select Combo 384 Asio Drivers. On Tidal the only option I see is Digital Output Armanero driver. If I open this up in system sound advanced tab I have it set to 384. Changing that to 192 etc will do the same. Everything defaults to the max setting. So I just re checked Tidal settings and I think exclusive control was off. Switched back on and now dac displays Masters as 88.2khz and if I change to hi fi (CD quality) it displays 44khz. 

Just needed to sort that other driver.

Mystery solved :) 

40 minutes ago, Sander H. said:

Tried this, but it comes up with "You are not eligible for this offer". Maybe I'm too late? Was it a Black Friday offer?

Ostensibly, it is only available for dormant accounts. If you have an existing lapsed account it may eventually work after a few tries. 

Try this link for a new account - same price

https://tidal.com/offers/blackfriday 

Edited by lemarquis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

Ostensibly, it is only available for dormant accounts. If you have an existing lapsed account it may eventually work after a few tries. 

Try this link for a new account - same price

https://tidal.com/offers/blackfriday 

It looks that this did the trick. :)

Many thanks!

• Like 2

tried Tidal through Audirvana compared to the desktop app. 
Upsampling through audirvana changes the flavour a bit but not for the better and the user interface is total crap.

Desktop app is so much better.

Tidal user interface is also better than amazon music. 

I'm hoping a new special comes after this one .

On 02/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, aussievintage said:

Wow, never even considered using it that way.  Always in my home running off WiFi from NBN.  No wonder you are getting drop-outs.    I can't even get DAB+ to work without dropouts in a car.

Ha ha,  yeah in the car is great when it works  but also at home had drop outs too.  It does seem to be better at the moment now though.  Fingers crossed.  

I'm chuffed with this Tidal thing. Especially at $1.99 for 4 months. I'll just have to wait and see if I think it's worth $23.99/mo but so far I'm loving it. On the down side: being able to listen to lossless tracks all the time has ruined my mp3 collection for good. Then again, maybe that's a good thing. ?

• Like 2

On 22/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Esoterica said:

For those that missed out on this offer, there is a new one for a bit more. $4 for 4 months.

Yep. I just picked that one up. 
I have a few frustrations with it, which I’ve voiced in the Connect thread. Audio quality is tops though. 

• 2 weeks later...

How are your trials going?   It find it is unreliable.  At busy times especially, it drops out half way through an album or list, way too often for a premium service like this.  I know it is not my internet connection as I have zero problems with much more demanding video streaming.