Sign in to follow this  
Tubularbells

Modern music your parents introduced you to at the time

Slight twist of the typical parents osmosis of filtering down the music you grew up on (and possibly hated at the time) but now enjoy im today talking about music (then) current they introduced you to that you actually liked.

For me one big standout is 1987's electronic artist Megabyte - "Powerplay". Blew me away then and now as my folks were the typical Charlie Pride, John Denver type whose adventurous peak was Sky all those years ago but when mum came home with this CD it changed my life.

2139798363_ScreenShot2020-03-28at4_00_22pm.thumb.png.38eae36c4f8a334e5e92a96f4df584d3.png

https://www.allmusic.com/album/powerplay-mw0000195744?1585371429948

Supertramp, especially ...Famous Last Words... 

I liked them then, didn't listen to them for about 15 years, and then have been on heavy rotation since...

220px-Supertramp_-_Famous_Last_Words.jpg.34d104cd3b644bb60860108a800b1864.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Supertramp, especially ...Famous Last Words... 

I liked them then, didn't listen to them for about 15 years, and then have been on heavy rotation since...

220px-Supertramp_-_Famous_Last_Words.jpg.34d104cd3b644bb60860108a800b1864.jpg

Ohh yeah I remember the neighbours parties we used to frequently attend and "Its Raining Again" stood out for me as a child at the time, Nice one!

The divine Miss Peggy Lee and Ray Charles and Richard Tauber and Tex Ritter(wtf!...I still say that when I think of his name) and many more as a youngling. Then mum got off on pre-electric Dylan and John Mayer and The Kinks came blasting out of the HMV 3 in 1 cabinet.

Apart from Tex, I still listen to them all, some more than others.

Kinks were current amongst others when I was kid Tubby

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

im today talking about music (then) current they introduced you to that you actually liked.

In the end I introduced her to more music than she to me but she gets the kudos for starting it all.

I'm old and have been subjected to so much varied music from so many Aunts and Uncles as well as my parents.

So much just went in one ear and out the other or so I thought.

In the last decade I have come to appreciate Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, BB King, Ole blue Eyes, Shirley Bassey, Petula Clarke.

Basically a lot, but not only that but stuff my parents did not listen to, for example, I was listening to an American internet radio station this afternoon, Buddy Holly came on, I was absolutely mesmerized by the SQ and frequency range that I thought recordings from that era could not capture.

Maybe I should buy a mono cartridge and revisit musical history.

My Dad introduced me to Pavarotti. If he did nothing else for me in my life that would be enough, but that was one among a myriad of lessons that he taught me. And if nothing else, he didn't shut me down when I was listening to my, as he put it, "Train Crash Music".

You guys are lucky. My parents played music once per year: a single CD with Christmas songs. That's it. I am sure they never heard of the Stones or Coltrane although they were just in the right cohort to follow them from the beginning. Can't blame them too much, their parents were certainly the same. Now I am a  father myself and in a position to introduce my son to lots of music. Turns out, he is not interested and prefers about any video on youtube over dad's music...

My mum would play the Beatles, which I immediately liked. I was 4 or 5 at the time and it clearly stayed with me. Later on I remember her playing Beethoven’s 7th which I also instantly liked. I still have her vinyl copy of it.