saad

Type of crimp for banana plug with sleeve

Hey Guys

I've got a bunch of silver audioquest banana plugs with a sleeve, like the following. What sort of crimp die should I be using, what length do I insert the wire into the plug?

Thanks

Saad

4677de315ce428001956bab78894c476.jpg

What's on the inside of the cavity?

Have as much of the wire length contacting the inside as practical.

Could you drill a small hole through the wider body section near the top so you could pass it through for a strong mechanical bond before soldering? cover with adhesive shrink.

Those are my trains of thought anyway.

Posted (edited)

If these ones?

Maybe up against the inner side and out the gap at the base and around the base below the actual multi contact section? Edit: just ideas, be they good or not xD

audioquest_bfa100_silver.jpg.0ddf3d46ba6d8805fb07083ec5a8d3e8.jpg

Edited by muon*

You can also fold the end of the wire if that makes it a better fit into the cavity, if soldering and not screw type.

The wide bit at the bottom is a ferrule and that’s the bit that gets crimped. These are a crimp type not solder or screw. I’ve got a crimp tool with multiple dies so just seeing which is the best die to use 

Ah, OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

But one can solder crimp connection if the plug material will take it (most will).

This is done all the time to improve the connection and mechanical strength.

More importantly it protects the bare wire end from oxidizing.

5 hours ago, saad said:

............These are a crimp type not solder or screw. I’ve got a crimp tool with multiple dies so just seeing which is the best die to use 

I would say that it depends on the gauge of the wire you are planning on using. Something that we don't know.  We also don't know what crimp tool you own. Just crimp them and be done with it. Not rocket science. Put a bit of heat shrink if you feel inclined. You are building speaker cables not trying to get to the moon.

A properly crimped (cold welded) connection is far superior to a solder joint. Just saying...

6 minutes ago, Steffen said:

A properly crimped (cold welded) connection is far superior to a solder joint. Just saying...

Cold weld then seal with solder :thumb:

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Cold weld then seal with solder :thumb:

I hear that a lot, but it will actually make it (slightly) worse, because the joint will stay chemically active – forever. 

2 minutes ago, Steffen said:

I hear that a lot, but it will actually make it (slightly) worse, because the joint will stay chemically active – forever. 

*shrug*

59 minutes ago, Steffen said:

I hear that a lot, but it will actually make it (slightly) worse, because the joint will stay chemically active – forever

You mean like all the soldered joints in your amp, dac etc.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

Precisely. Theres a reason motorsport wiring harnesses dont use solder.

I actually just bought an 8 tonne hydraulic crimp tool. Now its a cheap chinese tool, so is it really that much? Probably not. I was looking at the tool Chord Company sell for crimping/cold welding their plugs, and it compresses with 1.5 tonnes of force. Similar to QED airlock connectors

2 hours ago, afa said:

You mean like all the soldered joints in your amp, dac etc.

Yes, like those, except that they haven't even been crimped before soldering ;) 

In practice, it doesn't matter much, and for the majority of applications and their expected lifespan, soldering provides enough reliability. I was just remarking that soldering a properly done crimp doesn't improve it, if anything, it does the opposite.

18 hours ago, saad said:

What sort of

I'd be pretty surprised if AQ can't offer you pretty firm guidance on this.

AQ Crimp Tool

But these are a pretty standard type of indent crimper, that can be had from various places at reasonable cost. Depending on the size of the ferrule, and the cable to be terminated, a hex style crimper may make a neater connection, if you can one of the correct size.