Sign in to follow this  
EV Cali

Vinyl Vacuum for $70

Posted (edited)

Vinyl Vacuum

Not intending to use the vacuum to clean records as I have an Ultrasonic cleaner, but I did want a way of speeding up the drying process. And if it adds any extra cleaning element, that will be a bonus.

I had been looking at record cleaning wands on line and whilst a reasonable price, as they all appeared to be in America, adding postage doubled the cost. Then when looking at a wet vacs on line, at Bunnings, I noticed that the crevice cleaning tool, looked just like a Record cleaning wand.

So with the end of the attachment blocked up with some plastic cutting board, glued in place with super glue, a spindle hole and cleaning slot I was there.

A lazy Susan, purchased from a Garage sale, is used to sit the records on with a raised platform to keep the wet records form touching it. The red O ring is to help keep the record in place.

Three turns is enough to dry a record. I then just wipe the edge and can put them in a new inner sleeve.

I did purchase some stick on felt strips but they appeared to be quite abrasive, so I have gone with electrical tape, wrapped round three times, at the point that the wand would touch the dead wax and again at the lead in at the edge of the record and this just stops the wand from touching the record in the area of the playing surface. ( see second to last picture)

Vacuum was $49.99 from Bunnings and the other parts could not have cost more than $20.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1250w-12l-stainless-wet-and-dry-vacuum_p6290589

With plenty of time on my hands, I have ordered some inner sleeves so I can do some cleaning and now all I need is for them to turn up

533328226_RecVac4.thumb.JPG.97d07d7369b2d47af97044b3e1f6626e.JPG

1137350180_RecVac3.thumb.JPG.a4ad766ba775635bb1e9535f511bf2bf.JPG

884854986_RecVac2.thumb.JPG.59320377f755c684ce5caa014b829edb.JPG

765663832_RecVac5.thumb.JPG.2bbbb764a625780aef1be34eb0801ef4.JPG

1836309474_RecVac1.thumb.JPG.c2e18a982bba5d56ebbba39efe13597b.JPG

Edited by EV Cali

Posted (edited)

@EV Cali you need some velvet or a micro fibre cloth with a cut in it, I use reusable cable ties to attach the fabric easy to remove for cleaning you could also use self adhesive  Velcro.  

Edited by myskylab

16 hours ago, myskylab said:

@EV Cali you need some velvet or a micro fibre cloth with a cut in it, I use reusable cable ties to attach the fabric easy to remove for cleaning you could also use self adhesive  Velcro.  

I may give it a try but not sure if I do need some velvet or a micro fibre cloth.

Raising the wand slightly , with the tape, before the grooves start and at the edge of the record means that nothing touches the grooves and I think no contact may be better than scrubbing them with velvet or a micro fibre cloth.

Using a scrap record, I did try rubbing the felt I purchased on the blank area of the run off grooves and this did leave some scratches. 

On 28/03/2020 at 10:58 AM, EV Cali said:

Using a scrap record, I did try rubbing the felt I purchased on the blank area of the run off grooves and this did leave some scratches. 

Felt can be quite abrasive. 

If what you are doing gets good results then keep it up.

My cleaner came with a special nozzle much like what you've made, but with some velvet-like microfibre that touches the whole surface--no scratches at all. I use the same shop vac.😀