Whats your lockdown, working from home setup?

Hey,

for those of us lucky enough to be able to work to be able to work from home, whats your setup?

Did you already have a dedicated desk and audio setup or had to improvise? Baby room is now a home office :D 

I had to improves with an old table top, Ikea 2x2 shelves, a monitor I found nex the rubbish, some cheap studio monitors and a second hand sub for $100.

I running it through a Schitt Magni (not in the pic) and a tube pre-amp and It's actually really good! Fun and easy to listen with surprising detail. Shocked actually.

PauliDesk.jpg.53458cec9c9ec922fd6e7efc05070d51.jpg

Anyone else?

• Like 6

I'm just retired. But my study setup is very minimalistic. Just a CD Receiver set up. A Denon UD-M31.

Though the speakers say Denon, they are Mission speakers. Basic l know, but they chuck out a half decent sound. Has served me well for 16 years. For 14 of those it was my bedroom set up.  I now on occasion listen from a bean bag. But is pretty much obsolete, as l have a designated music room; having moving 2 years ago.

15852049284735303238373284805499.jpg

• Like 6

As a postie, lockdown may not happen, at the moment I am working 2 hours longer,as we do not have parcel home delivery,in my small country town ,so we have taken on ourselves to do home delivery, it saves people coming out to pickup items , I leave them in a safe spot,and now we are going to do P.O. Boxes with people who live in town,, farms will still need to pickup parcels but mail is in their boxes still,,the less contact the better,

New Zealand have closed all post offices , but delivery is still done,both letter and parcels,

best practices have been issued to all, in the industry,

there is near ZERO chance of catching c 19 from any item in the postal system,  experts say 12 hours on any paper surfaces ,is as long as the virus could survive ,

seeing it takes up to 10 days to get lps from Sydney to perth ,we are pretty safe ,

just keep your distance !!!!!!!!

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I know it's a mess. I've boxes of unused audio stuff stacked around me with just a path in and out of the office.

Speakers are Dayton PS180-8 in Aerpro angled cabinets, amp is based around the Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, DAC/headphone amp is an 8x Phillips TDA1387.

Can't really use my Monoprice Monolith M1060C headphones as I need to take phone calls as part of my job using the Syphonized Wraith 2 headset seen on the left.

20200327_094656.thumb.jpg.dd3db8d24c8863944fe115c9e292d173.jpg

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

oh I'm jealous with the ultra wide monitor!

Cheapest ultra wide monitor I could source. Uses HDMI as the input, 2560 x 1080 screen res so nothing fantastic.

I do miss the quality of my old 27" Yamakasi Catleap IPS monitor but the wide screen is far more useful for work. Gaming is one of those things I just never have time for any more.

• Like 1

This used to be my pain cave/cardio room before I had to close my dedicated warehouse and run the business from home at the end of January. I have a macbook pro under the desk (on my sub) connected to the 4k, 32" USB-C monitor. The monitor has a hub that runs USB from the macbook to my Audioengine D1 DAC/Headphone amp. That then runs standard RCA's to the Audioengine A5+ powered monitors. The imac to the side has my roon core on it and it "usually" sees my DAC as a Roon end point but I often have to re-boot the laptop for Roon to see the DAC. Don't know what the issue is there but Macbooks pro reboots pretty quick.4A08AA29-0F65-4092-B565-D5D1BD0CAC6C_1_105_c.jpeg.4b6562218d8ae8dc2cca0fc271a8f589.jpeg

Edited by blybo
  • Like 5

no fancy audio setup here but my trusty Altec Lansing works well enough 

my home office since Tuesday this week

i shared this with my colleagues at work as part of 'share your space' too 

home workstation.jpg

Edited by jgunner
  • Like 3

Older picture, I'm now running an Ultrawide 34" as a primary monitor and some powered monitors rather than the Logitech cheapos but you get the gist.

Highly recommend the IKEA Markus for a non stupid expensive chair that's good for all day sessions & Desk mounted VESA stands for better ergonomics.

received_421240615278973.jpeg

Edited by Daolodish
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, blybo said:

This used to be my pain cave/cardio room before I had to close my dedicated warehouse and run the business from home at the end of January. I have a macbook pro under the desk (on my sub) connected to the 4k, 32" USB-C monitor. The monitor has a hub that runs USB from the macbook to my Audioengine D1 DAC/Headphone amp. That then runs standard RCA's to the Audioengine A5+ powered monitors. The imac to the side has my roon core on it and it "usually" sees my DAC as a Roon end point but I often have to re-boot the laptop for Roon to see the DAC. Don't know what the issue is there but Macbooks pro reboots pretty quick.4A08AA29-0F65-4092-B565-D5D1BD0CAC6C_1_105_c.jpeg.4b6562218d8ae8dc2cca0fc271a8f589.jpeg

Hey what are those speakers sitting on Neil? I'm after something like that for my office setup I'm planning.

I think Blakey72 was asking, not about the speakers, but about the stands which look to me like Isoacoustic 'Aperta' stands.

And Blakey72, they worked a treat for my set-up.

But I too have had a couple of beers, and it's not my deshk.

• Like 2

Just got my room sorted our office shut 2 weeks ago after global directive  to work from home.

the room was a dumping ground last week but pretty proud of my efforts. Set up some of my audio gear to help pass the time in lock down, even made a little desk area for the kids ? 

A040E344-609E-4C2A-A61A-14722F94D4C0.jpeg

0E3DB619-F697-45D6-AD15-050317976BE0.jpeg

• Like 3

Western Australia will go into regional lockdown as from midnight on Tuesday.  For just about everyone this means no travel is permitted from one region to another except for essential services and medical emergencies AFAIK.

As my business basically is face to face lecturing and based in an adjacent region I can no longer service my clients even if I or they wanted to.  I can still keep the service workshop for electronic repairs and instrument calibration, but if the device has to come in or out of the region I will be 100% reliant on Australia Post.  Obviously practicing physical social distancing as I believe this is a strategy that will ultimately slow the rate of infection and flatten the curve when this insidious virus takes any more hold than it already has.

Anyhow, do your best to stop the spread and please stay safe.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

My home setup is a cheap Kogan display connected to my work laptop via HDMI - same as I've run for years - just that now I use it all the time, and I run Skype for Business for audio...not quite as good as I have at work, but entirely adequate.

The company I work for has been deemed as providing "essential services", and unfortunately one of our staff was bullied today by teachers when she dropped her child at school, wanting to know why she still had her kids at school today...AFAIK schools were still open in QLD today, and she was directed to come to work to help shutting the office down. Her child will stay home from today, but the poor girl came to work visibly upset from the ordeal.

9 hours ago, Flayed said:

BAU at our office... Critical area and there isn’t the infrastructure to support work from home :/

Our company has been deemed as providing "essential services" - fortunately we have the comms infrastructure for office based staff to work from home.

Personally I can do my job wherever I have an internet connection...

Off topic, but I've seen a massive increase in hacking attempts on our organisation after COVID-19 started - be careful...

For anyone that corporately uses Microsoft Office 365 for email and other stuff (eg SharePoint/Teams/Skype for Business)...

pop quiz...

...How many failed attempts at the password does Microsoft Office 365 allow before locking out the account?

cheers

Mike

Edited by almikel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

Western Australia will go into regional lockdown as from midnight on Tuesday.  For just about everyone this means no travel is permitted from one region to another except for essential services and medical emergencies AFAIK.

As my business basically is face to face lecturing and based in an adjacent region I can no longer service my clients even if I or they wanted to.  I can still keep the service workshop for electronic repairs and instrument calibration, but if the device has to come in or out of the region I will be 100% reliant on Australia Post.  Obviously practicing physical social distancing as I believe this is a strategy that will ultimately slow the rate of infection and flatten the curve when this insidious virus takes any more hold than it already has.

Anyhow, do your best to stop the spread and please stay safe.

Cheers,

Alan R.

I live in Bruce rock ,yes as of Tuesday We hopefully will not have the problem of outsiders bringing the virus into our community ,

im the local postie,

and the current status is,

business as usual, but this is a quite fluid situation,

when using au post services practice all health requirements,,

the shop outlets may be closed if things gets worse, but  the delivery system will continue , so you will get letters and parcel delivery,as Usual,

alan R..... I would talk to your local po, to see if they could help you if  the shop closes, and you need to send items off, I know we are attempting to find solutions for people out here that rely on ,this service , 

being a farming community we are exempt for major shutdown,but we have many families with small  sidelines ,specialty clothing,arts and crafts ect ,that rely on post,

our po has decided to do as much as possible to help our community ,get through this,

the shire and all shop owners had a meeting and they also will do as mush as as they can to make life as normal as it can ,

to supply services as best we can with current health rules,

we are lucky as virtually without exception everyone steps up to the mark ,here when the going gets tough, it’s a very special place in this respect !

hopefully the love of music will be infectious,

keep safe

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Hey what are those speakers sitting on Neil? I'm after something like that for my office setup I'm planning.

As already mentioned, yes they are Aperta 100 Isoacoustic stands. There is also a pro model which I believe is a little cheaper but just as effective. They made a huge difference. Previously I was using the Audioengine tilted rubber stands on concrete pavers.

15 hours ago, Daolodish said:

Highly recommend the IKEA Markus for a non stupid expensive chair that's good for all day sessions

Canterbury used office furniture often have 2nd hand Herman Miller chairs. Pretty sure I picked mine up for $400 a few years ago. They're around $2k new which I could never justify. Absolutely love it and will probably be with me for my entire working life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinm1 said:

I live in Bruce rock ,yes as of Tuesday We hopefully will not have the problem of outsiders bringing the virus into our community ,

im the local postie,

and the current status is,

business as usual, but this is a quite fluid situation,

when using au post services practice all health requirements,,

the shop outlets may be closed if things gets worse, but  the delivery system will continue , so you will get letters and parcel delivery,as Usual,

alan R..... I would talk to your local po, to see if they could help you if  the shop closes, and you need to send items off, I know we are attempting to find solutions for people out here that rely on ,this service , 

being a farming community we are exempt for major shutdown,but we have many families with small  sidelines ,specialty clothing,arts and crafts ect ,that rely on post,

our po has decided to do as much as possible to help our community ,get through this,

the shire and all shop owners had a meeting and they also will do as mush as as they can to make life as normal as it can ,

to supply services as best we can with current health rules,

we are lucky as virtually without exception everyone steps up to the mark ,here when the going gets tough, it’s a very special place in this respect !

hopefully the love of music will be infectious,

keep safe

Good to read that you are doing the best you can not only to keep your community safe but also to keep the wheels moving.  :)  We often take these services for granted and don't value them until they are no longer available.  Kudos to @colinm1 

Thanks for the heads up and suggestions regarding parcel movements at the extremely small LPO in my town of Bakers Hill.  I'm expecting things in the town to be very quiet as from Tuesday as most of the activity is because of the passing tourist trade that stop at the famous Bakers Hill Pie Shop (great pastries and cakes, terrible coffee).

There is an upside to all of this.  There won't be any bus loads of "shoppers" coming into my closest regional centre town of Northam from the city and stripping the supermarket shelves of just about everything.  Hopefully things will get back to normal soon by everyone doing the right thing.  I would not like to see some of the measures implemented overseas like house lockdowns, curfews and complete bans on been able to get certain supplies and services.

Anyhow, in the coming weeks the electronics service workshop in a separate building on the property will be getting a well overdue makeover.

Take care everyone.  We have a great community here on SNA.  

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1

AFA2B639-4883-4AC5-9221-6174723C6E05.jpeg.5715a076e0bd46f6e51b75d4be7cd8da.jpeg

WFH setup as of Wednesday AM. Mostly I’m on the phone so no stereo but I can hear the main system from the living room if I want some background music. My wife set up this desk in our bedroom for her painting so my stuff needs to be easy to pack away when I’m not using it. Not that I really need any more than this and my phone, anyway.

It’s a 12.9” iPad Pro in a Pad & Quill Oxford leather folio on a Griffin Elevator laptop stand, a Kanex K166 bt keyboard, a Rhodia A4 dot pad and a Tactile Turn Gist fountain pen.

• Like 3