Monitor Audio

Hi friends,

About monitor audio silver 8. It's used for stereo listening the source files are Spotify,  and tidal hi-fi

Using Rotel RA 971MKll integrated amp connected via Chromecast audio.

Looking for a integrated amplifier

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks ,

SBM

@rantan

@genkifd

@wen

@blakey72

Edited by SBM
Update

Temporarily try adjusting your hi frequency on your amp down or twist left to an acceptable level and see if that helps?

Try the MA’s with your Denon amp and see if you can hear any difference with the bright/shrill sounds.

Edited by 5L15
Try your other amp
  • Like 1

I'd be mucking around with speaker placement, room setup etc before changing cables, DACs etc. I've had Monitor Audio RX6 and now a pair for Silver 1s (same generation as the silver 8s you have) and they do not exhibit what you are describing when setup properly.

What I mean by that is when I was living in a townhouse and had them setup in a small room (with tiles no less) they didn't sound at all ideal and at times had an unpleasant edge to the highs. By moving the listening position forward and closer to the speakers the problem went away. 

I do note you said the sound is open, so maybe positioning isn't your issue, however I'd say have a play around with positioning to tame reflections and  cover hard surfaces where possible before spending money elsewhere. If the problem is that bad I do not believe changing cables or the DAC will otherwise tame it - unless those components are faulty.

others may disagree, but i don't think the Rotel is a good match with the MA's, the Klipsch you had have also can be harsh in the top end, but you had it matched with Denon, which makes it even out, i have RS6's and have used a variety of amps,Cyrus, Creek, Leema, Musical Fidelity, Sansui, Quasimodo, and now Elekit tube amp. Others may share their experience with different amps, i would suggest @rantan could steer you to the best combinations, good luck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wen said:

others may disagree, but i don't think the Rotel is a good match with the MA's, the Klipsch you had have also can be harsh in the top end, but you had it matched with Denon, which makes it even out, i have RS6's and have used a variety of amps,Cyrus, Creek, Leema, Musical Fidelity, Sansui, Quasimodo, and now Elekit tube amp. Others may share their experience with different amps, i would suggest @rantan could steer you to the best combinations, good luck

Thanks, overall the speaker is good. In the highs I fell sometimes it's to bright and it's too much revealing.

Other than I do not have any issues. Will try Tidal master today. Once my chrome cast DAC comes will test again.

Firstly, I would try with placement of the speakers in your room. Make sure they are not toed in too much. Just a very small inward angle from straight ahead will give best results.

They also won't pay particularly nicely with your Rotel, which has a very forward sonic signature and also, using your phone as a source is not going to help in this situation either. Try them with your Denon amplifier first, with minimal toe in and invest in some decent cables. These don't need to be very expensive and you should certainly try some cables form @Bill125812.  I would also be interested in finding out what speaker cables you are currently using.

If the above does not make a big improvement then we can look at amplifiers and/or sources but I think this will help but see how you go with the speaker placement, cables and using the Denon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rantan said:

Firstly, I would try with placement of the speakers in your room. Make sure they are not toed in too much. Just a very small inward angle from straight ahead will give best results.

They also won't pay particularly nicely with your Rotel, which has a very forward sonic signature and also, using your phone as a source is not going to help in this situation either. Try them with your Denon amplifier first, with minimal toe in and invest in some decent cables. These don't need to be very expensive and you should certainly try some cables form @Bill125812.  I would also be interested in finding out what speaker cables you are currently using.

If the above does not make a big improvement then we can look at amplifiers and/or sources but I think this will help but see how you go with the speaker placement, cables and using the Denon.

Thanks mate. As Siad the speakers are toed inward about 10 degrees. I have issues only with some sound tracks not all the songs. Now I am using the cable  from Bunnings. Will talk to bill.

Will test on Denon as suggested.

Many thanks 

SBM

• Like 1

Just now, SBM said:

Thanks mate. As Siad the speakers are toed inward about 10 degrees. I have issues only with some sound tracks not all the songs. Now I am using the cable  from Bunnings. Will talk to bill.

Will test on Denon as suggested.

Many thanks 

SBM

Happy to help,now and on going.

I think the fact that you only have the bright/harsh sound on certain tracks means that they are poorly mixed/recorded and the MA are a revealing speaker and will show this, just as the Silver 8 are doing now.

I am certain that a cable change will work wonders in comparison to the cheap Bunnings cable.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2020 at 8:31 AM, rantan said:

Happy to help,now and on going.

I think the fact that you only have the bright/harsh sound on certain tracks means that they are poorly mixed/recorded and the MA are a revealing speaker and will show this, just as the Silver 8 are doing now.

I am certain that a cable change will work wonders in comparison to the cheap Bunnings cable.

Hi @rantan, today I subscribed to tidal premium and listened to music from tidal, it's a magical sound. So MA needs good source to make speaker sing beautiful. Waiting on Chromecast Audio DAC. After DAC it will be speaker cables.

Much appreciated your time.

Regards,

SBM

• Like 1

@SBM what is your listening space like? do you have a lot of reflective material like glass close to your speakers? can you treat those surfaces? i will hold off buying /upgrading gear or cables until you have some sense on what part your listening room/space is contributing to the harsh highs you are hearing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2020 at 6:15 AM, 5L15 said:

Temporarily try adjusting your hi frequency on your amp down or twist left to an acceptable level and see if that helps?

Try the MA’s with your Denon amp and see if you can hear any difference with the bright/shrill sounds.

Thanks myhifiacct, Denon is connected to my Home theater which I do not want to disturb. But there is a good Marantz NR1601 for sale 200$, is it better to buy 

which will be good move . based on your experience your suggestion if possible.

SBM 

Edited by SBM
Update

37 minutes ago, SBM said:

Thanks myhifiacct, Denon is connected to my Home theater which I do not want to disturb. But there is a good Marantz NR1601 for sale 200$, is it better to buy this or first buy a cable from Bill(SNA member).

which will be good move cable or amp. based on your experience your suggestion if possible.

SBM 

If you want better performance stay away from AV Receivers. Add a cheap secondhand power amp for better performance.

Thanks mate, will buy some power amplifier for my MA Silver.but klipsch combination with svs is killer( Amazing imaging and depth) listening same song back to back. But MA shines is Mid and low's with out Subwoofer. Will upgrade a nice power amp. Thanks again. Started to learn system and music

Edited by SBM
Update

when i first purchased my RS8 i match the speakers with a Denon 3808. HT awesome but music just terrible.

after 10 years of usage the Denon died so i replaced it with a Primare SP33/Elecktra Amp combo.

big difference in every way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, genkifd said:

when i first purchased my RS8 i match the speakers with a Denon 3808. HT awesome but music just terrible.

after 10 years of usage the Denon died so i replaced it with a Primare SP33/Elecktra Amp combo.

big difference in every way.

Thanks mate , I know Elektra amplifier is very good. How this will work buy an Marantz SR6015+ Elektra 7 channel amplifier. Connect zone 1 to my existing klipsch 5.1 setup and zone 2 to MA silver ? So that will get better HT and stereo. Plz correct me if I am wrong do I need a good integrated amplifier. Thanks 

Edited by SBM

On 26/03/2020 at 7:57 AM, wen said:

Thanks , is Elekit tube amp was DYI?