Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sub Sonic

What are your Lockdown Projects?

Recommended Posts

I have just brought a pair of Acoustic research AR90 so my lockdown plan is to restore and stain the cabinets😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sean Perth said:

I have just brought a pair of Acoustic research AR90 so my lockdown plan is to restore and stain the cabinets😀


Very nice!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Building an RJM Audio - Emerald Dual-Mono MM/MC Phono Stage.

 

Looks like a pretty reasonably easy build thus far, just need to find some nice enclosures that everything will fit in!

 

Should look something like this when done, with another enclosure with the Transformer and Bridge Rectifiers.

Emerald.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Daolodish said:

Building an RJM Audio - Emerald Dual-Mono MM/MC Phono Stage.

 

Looks like a pretty reasonably easy build thus far, just need to find some nice enclosures that everything will fit in!

 

Should look something like this when done, with another enclosure with the Transformer and Bridge Rectifiers.

 

 

Mmmm - I see the specs say "Switch between 47.5k and 100 ohm input load ".  That's a shame - as, whilst 47.5K is an entirely appropriate load for MM, 100 ohms is suitable for only a small segment of MC carts.  :(

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, andyr said:

 

Mmmm - I see the specs say "Switch between 47.5k and 100 ohm input load ".  That's a shame - as, whilst 47.5K is an entirely appropriate load for MM, 100 ohms is suitable for only a small segment of MC carts.  :(

 

Andy

 

 

Luckily they provide an excellent spreadsheet with appropriate resistor values in order to set the correct loading and input sensitivities.

 

Spreadsheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Daolodish said:

 

Luckily they provide an excellent spreadsheet with appropriate resistor values in order to set the correct loading and input sensitivities.

 

Spreadsheet

 

So you can get a much higher load impedance than 100 ohms, for a LOMC cart (using the 60dB gain setting)?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

So you can get a much higher load impedance than 100 ohms, for a LOMC cart (using the 60dB gain setting)?

 

Andy

 

 

Correct, you just have to swap out the R2 loading resistor to the appropriate value you're chasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Daolodish said:

 

Correct, you just have to swap out the R2 loading resistor to the appropriate value you're chasing.

 

Strange - looking at the 'Worksheet' in the Excel s/sheet ... it seems to talk primarily about adjusting gain??

 

Which LOMC cart are you going to use with the Emerald?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm going to be using it with my DL103, so nothing crazy low output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2020 at 5:57 PM, andyr said:

Contact @Ittaku, Lee - he does Japanese translations, so he may know kanji.

Yes I do, it's impossible to know Japanese well enough to translate it without knowing kanji.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Yes I do, it's impossible to know Japanese well enough to translate it without knowing kanji.

 

I get confused between kanji and katakana, Con.  9_9

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Daolodish said:

I'm going to be using it with my DL103, so nothing crazy low output.

 

Specs I read say coil impedance of the DL103 is 40 ohms - so I would suggest optimum loading will be anywhere between 470 ohms ... and 4700 ohms (10x - 100x coil impedance).

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, andyr said:

I get confused between kanji and katakana, Con.  9_9

No problem. Japanese uses all 3 character sets. You can't learn Japanese without knowing all of them.

Hiragana: ひらがな

Katakana: カタカナ

Kanji: 漢字

There are about 50 of the top two, and 6000 of the last (though only 2300 are in common use.) Kanji are basically the Japanese adopted Chinese characters almost unchanged.

 

If anyone's looking for a lockdown project, learning Japanese will keep you going for, oh, a lifetime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

If anyone's looking for a lockdown project, learning Japanese will keep you going for, oh, a lifetime?


I once complained to my Japanese teacher at school (she was actually Japanese) how hard the language was to learn. She replied “You should try learning English!” 😄

 

At least Japanese is more methodical and has fewer exceptions than English.

 

Cheers,

 

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be working on a crossover for these bad boys, and hopefully posting a build thread

IMG_20200330_151504.thumb.jpg.5b9f13ebcddb81f387913e6d0c348174.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t mind I share my COVID-19 curfew project?! 
I did the entire listening room by using what I have currently and timber fencing from Bunnings. 
This was the room before.... 
FE70E9CA-5278-4E02-A4C9-5E7E59BA65E9.thumb.jpeg.48e8f6a3792e8806062dfa75f1c2ecf7.jpeg

 

During Constructions....


BC5CD0D7-8FC6-4478-9C52-06B2C045AD63.thumb.jpeg.e88147e23184b772bb7c0895dd0eedfc.jpeg
 

The final finish after two days....

 

1BC32CA4-1CBD-4CA2-8FF2-B51AEC1A6017.thumb.jpeg.89211f838e91299690f0abca269663a1.jpeg
484C077F-23F0-484C-9318-69A2AD9A4C11.thumb.jpeg.f5f2598c2cdbe5d13053d8f2eb0abf60.jpeg

 

Thanks for looking... feel free to provide your critics...! 
Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Don’t mind I share my COVID-19 curfew project?! 
I did the entire listening room by using what I have currently and timber fencing from Bunnings. 

 

Thanks for looking... feel free to provide your critics...! 
Cheers. 

 Looks great! What timber fencing did you go with from bunnings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, oohms said:

 Looks great! What timber fencing did you go with from bunnings?

I bought approx 10 pieces of those. 

EDCBA8D9-2A98-433E-A1AB-56E6AA34F934.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks amazing 

 

Really  well done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chanh looks very good. any difference in sound?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jgunner said:

@Chanh looks very good. any difference in sound?

Absolutely! 
I think room treatment is often overlooked by majority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chanh I couldn’t agree with you more mate. I treated my second reflection point only a few days ago and imaging+sound stage went up another level.

 

can you describe how they have improved your existing setup?

 

cheer

Justin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgunner said:

@Chanh I couldn’t agree with you more mate. I treated my second reflection point only a few days ago and imaging+sound stage went up another level.

 

can you describe how they have improved your existing setup?

 

cheer

Justin

Hi Justin,

what I have noticed were the larger scale of the sound stage. The resolutions was incredibly obvious, and way better focus. Most of all, both micro and macro dynamics were evidently better. 
when this bl@@dy COVID-19 is over, I hope to have few locals to validate my observations. 
 

My next project is to address the ceiling with timber blocks diffusers.. 
Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Chanh i shall give them a try too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bought speakers secondhand last year, just used scraps of timber in the garage, refurbished, up and running on sunday, incerdible midrange and detail

20200328_185710.jpg

20200328_195718.jpg

20200329_163015.jpg

20200329_165221.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...