Do I really want to stare into this money pit?

No, that's not what it will become.

Former AFL journo (TV/print/radio), old person, now back in Melbourne, just doing the new headphones thing. I have a decent-enough SS setup on the TV but living in an apartment makes that somewhat pointless.

This is the place to be, always some excellent sounding products at amazing prices, and plenty of advice and knowledge (sometimes but not always the same thing). I see stuff here all the time that I would love to try for very fair coin. Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, Godot said:

This is the place to be, always some excellent sounding products at amazing prices, and plenty of advice and knowledge (sometimes but not always the same thing). I see stuff here all the time that I would love to try for very fair coin. Enjoy!

Cheers. I've put up a question about pairing a DAC/amp to my new cans, see if anyone is interested in telling how little I know (which is the one thing I do actually know ?

9 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Yes, yes you do.

I guess these posts do indeed prove your assertion.

2 hours ago, wen said:

welcome, the money pit hole you stare into is only as big as you want it to be, like any other hobby

Ditto! Just don't try to pull out any of ye' ol records from the garage.. a decent turntable setup will cost you a fair bit of coin these days.  Lets say ignorance is bliss...

Welcome.

Indeed, the pit is only as deep as you want to it be.

Some keep exploring its depths, others take a look, a small leap then retreat and there's probably a heap of us that reach a point and remain there for a good period of time - till you question what it would it sound if I got.......

In anycase, you have found a great helpful community, and a place where if you want to spend a little, a lot or something in between there is like minded people to assist or ones that have gone further into the tunnel. Good luck and have fun with your journey no matter its depth, THE best advice I can give you whilst falling is enjoy the music on your way down! ?

33 minutes ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Ditto! Just don't try to pull out any of ye' ol records from the garage.. a decent turntable setup will cost you a fair bit of coin these days.  Lets say ignorance is bliss...

Nope, the records are all long gone, as we live is a small inner-city apartment, and I never liked the hassle anyway. Digital files are so much easier to use and store ?

15 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

In anycase, you have found a great helpful community, and a place where if you want to spend a little, a lot or something in between there is like minded people to assist or ones that have gone further into the tunnel. Good luck and have fun with your journey no matter its depth, THE best advice I can give you whilst falling is enjoy the music on your way down! ?

Cheers, I have spent a couple of days reading already ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mickeyjuiceman said:

No, that's not what it will become.

Former AFL journo (TV/print/radio), old person, now back in Melbourne, just doing the new headphones thing. I have a decent-enough SS setup on the TV but living in an apartment makes that somewhat pointless.

It looks like you really like Focal.  

Hint.

Not sure if you drink wine but it is the same. 

Big names charge a premium. Some very good boutique or almost Cleanskins which are similar but cost far less. Some may be designed by the same people. 

Personal preference means a lot.

There is always a more expensive one out there.

Expensive does not always mean good.

Some people are happy with wine that should be worth $10,  $30, $80, $800 and some can't tell the difference.

Some things pair badly even if they are both great.

Some of the good stuff is cellar door only and they do tastings. 

So with patience and luck you can spend from experience 1/6th of the money with a mix of second hand (even some 30-40 year amps) and new, particularly by supporting some Aussie brands compared to what you might spend by walking into most premium hifi stores. 

Edited by DrSK

On 25/03/2020 at 9:07 PM, DrSK said:

Hint.

Not sure if you drink wine but it is the same. 

Big names charge a premium. Some very good boutique or almost Cleanskins which are similar but cost far less. Some may be designed by the same people. 

Personal preference means a lot.

There is always a more expensive one out there.

Expensive does not always mean good.

Some people are happy with wine that should be worth $10,  $30, $80, $800 and some can't tell the difference.

Some things pair badly even if they are both great.

Some of the good stuff is cellar door only and they do tastings. 

So with patience and luck you can spend from experience 1/6th of the money with a mix of second hand (even some 30-40 year amps) and new, particularly by supporting some Aussie brands compared to what you might spend by walking into most premium hifi stores. 

A good analogy.

15 hours ago, mbz said:

Consider vintage gear or should I call it bling? Sure they prefer vinyl but do ok on the digital.

I've been doing very well with a 1986 power amp that retailed new at $7500 paired with a current DAC and preamp. 

On 31/03/2020 at 11:06 AM, DrSK said:

I've been doing very well with a 1986 power amp that retailed new at $7500 paired with a current DAC and preamp. 

Just looked it up, in that year a new VK Commodore or XF Falcon had an average price of $12,700.