Question about Diamond Wiring

Been experimenting lately with my setup and was keen to  hear people’s thoughts on diamond wiring bi-wire compatible speakers.

I’ve got a pair of B&W cm8s2 and tellurium q black 2 cables and jumpers. I came across the following website which recommended to connect speakers in a diamond pattern

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/are-you-diamond-wiring-your-speakers.html

Essentially this means to connect your positive to the HF binding post and negative to the LF binding post and use the jumpers to complete the connection.

I have to admit that after a couple of days of listening I did find this change made a positive difference, which I’m finding hard to explain... other than I much prefer it this way... not sure if it’s my mind playing tricks on me, but was keen to see if other members have tried diamond wiring and what experiences they’ve had!

On a side note, hope everyone is taking care and staying safe at this time!

Edited by Arv
Typo

at home, i've always run 2 pairs of speaker cables to my speakers.

at work, quite a few times, ive had to decide between the upper freq and lower freq terminals.

the lower freq inputs have always sounded better on many pair of speakers i've tried.

2 hours ago, jeromelang said:

the lower freq inputs have always sounded better on many pair of speakers i've tried.

That isn't quite what the OP is saying.  The 'diamond' method uses one input each of the LF and HF terminals.

I am by no means an objectivist, but it would be helpful if the OP could in some way describe the improvement he has heard.

On 24/03/2020 at 6:28 PM, Arv said:

Been experimenting lately with my setup and was keen to  hear people’s thoughts on diamond wiring bi-wire compatible speakers.

I’ve got a pair of B&W cm8s2 and tellurium q black 2 cables and jumpers. I came across the following website which recommended to connect speakers in a diamond pattern

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/are-you-diamond-wiring-your-speakers.html

Essentially this means to connect your positive to the HF binding post and negative to the LF binding post and use the jumpers to complete the connection.

I have to admit that after a couple of days of listening I did find this change made a positive difference, which I’m finding hard to explain... other than I much prefer it this way... not sure if it’s my mind playing tricks on me, but was keen to see if other members have tried diamond wiring and what experiences they’ve had!

On a side note, hope everyone is taking care and staying safe at this time!

I get theory behind it, but at the risk of sounding obvious I'd say consult your speaker manual. Most electrical circuits, including those in your speakers, are designed to produce optimum results with the current flowing through them in a particular direction. 

For example, every B&W manual I looked at shows the speaker cables from the amp plugged into the bottom set of terminals on the speaker. Then add your jumpers. The manual doesn't say you have to connect it this way, but it recommends you do to get the best performance. On the other hand, the manual on my Revels recommend the speaker cables go  from the amp to the top set of speaker terminals and then add your jumpers. Neither is wrong, it is simply based upon how the manufacturer has designed their speaker to produce optimal performance.

FWIW, I tried your diamond wiring. No, nada, nope, nup.

• Midrange was incoherent, messy and muddled. 
  • 3D imaging was all buty lost.
  • Timing went right out the window.

There may, or may not, be a set of speakers out there that diamond wiring may suit, but it certainly isn't mine. That said, I've yet to find a speaker manual that recommends the use of IsoAcoustic GAIAs either. And we all know what a difference they can make.

On 24/03/2020 at 6:34 PM, Bronal said:

That isn't quite what the OP is saying.  The 'diamond' method uses one input each of the LF and HF terminals.

I am by no means an objectivist, but it would be helpful if the OP could in some way describe the improvement he has heard.

I have not tried this diamond connection method. So I can't say if it is better or not.

I'll keep an open mind regarding this.

But between the LF and HF terminals, input into the LF terminals have always sound better with all the speakers that I have tried.

What I heard was always consistent - more neutral tonal balance, better coherence from top to bottom frequencies, better all-round musicality.

1 hour ago, Colin Rutter said:

That's right I don't understand cable directionality 

An explanation would be most enlightening

Thanks in advance ?

Some people just cannot hear it, or don't want to hear it. Take your pick.

2 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Some people just cannot hear it, or don't want to hear it. Take your pick.

Does that mean you are unable to explain directionality, in cable that are geometrically the same at either end?

1 minute ago, bob_m_54 said:

Does that mean you are unable to explain directionality, in cable that are geometrically the same at either end?

I do not want to waste my time explaining colours to people who cannot "see"

2 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Then the question that comes to my mind, are the flat metal jumper strips also directional?

If you have a pair that allows you to use in another direction, why don't you try it and then tell us?

Just now, sir sanders zingmore said:

Wow 

Yeah bit harsh I thought, but he's probably suffering from frustration in trying to work out which direction his cables are supposed to run.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2020 at 9:34 PM, Bronal said:

I am by no means an objectivist, but it would be helpful if the OP could in some way describe the improvement he has heard.Yup as Bronal, MAsaid I’m wiring the positive from amp to HF positive and negative from amp to  LF negative. I’ve attached a picture below.

Yes, as Bronal pointed out I meant wiring the positive from the amplifier to the positive HF terminal and negative from the amplifier to the negative LF terminal and use the jumper cables to connect the negative and positive LF and HF accordingly. I have included a picture of what I mean below.

Improvement wise, for my ears I found that I was able to discern ‘detail’ from familiar tracks that wasn’t previously. Separation also improved and the bass firmed up. However, I will keep experimenting to see what is best. I am in the process of purchasing new speaker able as well!

10 hours ago, Happy Sacks said:

I get theory behind it, but at the risk of sounding obvious I'd say consult your speaker manual. Most electrical circuits, including those in your speakers, are designed to produce optimum results with the current flowing through them in a particular direction. 

For example, every B&W manual I looked at shows the speaker cables from the amp plugged into the bottom set of terminals on the speaker. Then add your jumpers. The manual doesn't say you have to connect it this way, but it recommends you do to get the best performance. On the other hand, the manual on my Revels recommend the speaker cables go  from the amp to the top set of speaker terminals and then add your jumpers. Neither is wrong, it is simply based upon how the manufacturer has designed their speaker to produce optimal performance.

FWIW, I tried your diamond wiring. No, nada, nope, nup.

• Midrange was incoherent, messy and muddled. 
  • 3D imaging was all buty lost.
  • Timing went right out the window.

There may, or may not, be a set of speakers out there that diamond wiring may suit, but it certainly isn't mine. That said, I've yet to find a speaker manual that recommends the use of IsoAcoustic GAIAs either. And we all know what a difference they can make.

Double checked my manual and it does show to wire to the LF terminals and use either the metal jumper strips or jumper cables to the HF. And thanks for the feedback!

37 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

I do not want to waste my time explaining colours to people who cannot "see"

Sorry, I’m not quite sure I follow. Are you discussing directionality or polarity?

31716CCB-8A11-4CE3-9AA6-EE5094827904.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arv said:

Sorry, I’m not quite sure I follow. Are you discussing directionality or polarity?

Directionality.

Polarity between left/right channels and absolute polarity are another 2 different and separate issues

Edited by jeromelang

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

Directionality.

Polarity between left/right channels and absolute polarity are another 2 different and separate issues

Strictly speaking they aren't poles they are just points of different potential 

Edited by Colin Rutter
Spelling