mpearce38

8 Port Router for FTTP home

Posted (edited)

Well working from home is putting a drain on our wireless setup so finally getting around to setting up the wired connections

I have 8 data points in our home leading back to patch panel in the garage where the internet line, phone points and TV signal also exist.

We are in a Telstra smart community which has recently moved to NBN

My wireless modem (Orbi) currently sits in the garage feeding 4 of the 8 ports everything else connects to Wifi including TVs, streamers, Sonos work comouter, games console, iPads etc

I want a 8 Port modem/ Router to sit in the garage so I can feed all 8 ports and use switches to take as many devices wired as I can, leaving only the iPads, laptops and Google home on the wifi 

In doing this I Would like to move the Orbi indoors to get better coverage and use as an AP 

Can anyone recommend a good 8port router? Does not need to be wireless. Preference is onenm that excels in gigabit ethernet duties. as I'm on FTTP NBN do I need a modem or will any router with WAN input be sufficient?

Edited by mpearce38

You need a switch, use your existing router and add an 8 port gigabit switch to connect your data ports on the patch panel.

Yes. For a good low-cost option I would recommend Netgear's unmanaged blue metal series (such as GS108NA). They perform well and are reliable.

Any unmanaged gigabit switch will do unless you need routing, PoE etc 

I'll be moving along a 16 port Netgear with 8 PoE ports if you need that, and a 24 port DLink - both L2 managed if you want something good, cheap and s/h.

I tried a normal switch but it will not allow me to handle the internet 

I plugged all all ports into the switchbacks placed the Orbi into one of the ports in the house the wifi works but all the other ports do not

hence I need a switch which will take the internet as well

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

I tried a normal switch but it will not allow me to handle the internet

It's not clear what you mean by this.

Take an Ethernet patch cable and connect (for example) LAN Port 4 on your router to Port 1 on your Ethernet switch.

Now all the other seven ports on the Ethernet switch will give you LAN and Internet. The three remaining empty LAN ports on your router will all still give you LAN and Internet, so you have 10 ports to use for connecting your patch panel and/or devices next to the router and-or switch. The diagram below illustrates the concept.

2011-11-29_132204.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for the Netgear 8 Port switch with the blue metal chassis. But really any name brand un-managed switch will do the job for you; Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, TP-Link, all easily available at places like Officeworks, JB HiFi, computer shops.

Edit: It's possible that your router or switch needs a crossover cable for interconnection. This was common on older equipment, but these days most devices will auto configure for a straight cable. A crossover patch cable is readily available from places that sell Ethernet patch leads, often coloured red, look for "crossover" in the cable name/description. It basically transposes the Tx and Rx pairs. You might notice you don't get a link light if the straight cable isn't suitable.

Edited by pwstereo
Added note about crossover cable

On the main Orbi there should be four available ports, use one of those ports and connect it to a switch. Connect the required devices to the switch. You can daisy chain switches. I don't know if this slows down the network. I have the below config

Router > switch 1 (TV, Sonos, PS4) >switch 2 (Mac book) >switch 3 (TV, Oppo, Auralic, Xbox, Sonos). 

The three switches are 8 ports each. 

Yep got all that,

I don't want to have the Orbi into the Switch, as this means I need to keep the orbi in the garage. I'm looking or an all in router/switch with minimum 8 ports

I tried just using a normal switch but it does not have the ability to handle the internet this needs to go via a WAN input and then into the switch.

I ideally I want to achieve the below and looking for router/switch recommendations

NBN> ROUTER/SWITCH > ORBI (as an Access point indoors)

Posted (edited)

Ok, now it makes sense. You are on the right track. Do you have have an old router lying around? 

Plug the router (wan port) into the NBN box. 

Then plug the switch into one of the router's ports and plug the Orbi into either the (old) router or the switch. Make sure you set the Orbi up as an AP. 

It should look like:

NBN >old router>switch>Orbi

It is important that the router is the 2nd device in the network as it needs to assign the IP addresses. 

Edited by dolphy

No unfortunately only have the Orbi available at the moment 

Telstra will send me a gateway 2 modem did I need it but hoping for a one box solution 

Posted (edited)

Cisco make a few, the one that comes to mind is the 891, but it's about $1k and you have to know how to configure by Command line... And that's not simple 

So to hard basket IMHO. 

Like others say, pick up 8 port switch and either another router or WiFi AP

So

NBN >router>switch>internal cabling>Orbi

Or

NBN >Orbi>switch>internal cabling>WiFi AP 

I think leaving the orbi where is and adding another WiFi AP would be the simplest way to go and you have 2 WiFi AP to chose from 

Get a AP with a switch built in so you can use one the of the cabling ports for that, then plug whatever was plugged into that port into the switch of the AP

Edited by Hytram

Thanks all for the help. Have asked Telstra to send me a gateway 2 modem as part of my package but advised it could take some time 😞 . Plan is to only use this as a modem and disable the wifi in favour my Orbi Mesh system

I did find this product on the web, assume it would be the one box solution I am looking for, just want to confirm as the VPN part confuses me. All I need to do is plug the internet Ethernet port out of my ONT to the WAN port on this and all good to go, I can disable any VPN functionality as not required?

https://us.dlink.com/en/products/dsr-250-8-port-gigabit-vpn-router

1 hour ago, mpearce38 said:

I did find this product on the web, assume it would be the one box solution I am looking for, just want to confirm as the VPN part confuses me. All I need to do is plug the internet Ethernet port out of my ONT to the WAN port on this and all good to go, I can disable any VPN functionality as not required?

https://us.dlink.com/en/products/dsr-250-8-port-gigabit-vpn-router

in your Orbi, do you have to enter a username and password to log onto the internet?  (sometimes called a PPoE or PPoA connection.)

if so, that Dlink might work..

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/730753/D-Link-Dsr-250n.html?page=34#manual

or a 

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 10X - 10-Port Gigabit Router

https://www.electronics.net.au/ubiquiti-edgerouter-10x-10-port-gigabit-router-wit?gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FT-Is2VzW816MjEdxzWGnOmcNdfD6gebRlrSkkPOTsc8t0g_crgupmBoCH-wQAvD_BwE

I looked at the Ubiquiti yesterday but couldnt find a reference to PPoE

but its there

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

I would double check on Whirlpool or Overclockers before you buy

Posted (edited)

yes I need to entre in these into the Orbi,

D250 manual states 

This router has two WAN ports that can be used to establish a connection to the internet. The following ISP connection types are supported: DHCP, Static, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, 3G Internet (via USB modem). 

Th ubiqutiti looks interesting also as it support PoE which I assume I can use to power switches 

Edited by mpearce38

20 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

yes I need to entre in these into the Orbi,

D250 manual states 

This router has two WAN ports that can be used to establish a connection to the internet. The following ISP connection types are supported: DHCP, Static, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, 3G Internet (via USB modem). 

then it sounds like it will suit

20 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

Th ubiqutiti looks interesting also as it support PoE which I assume I can use to power switches 

its not a full PoE switch , it has PoE passthrough meaning if you feed power via PoE into port one, it when pass that power out to another port..

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ 

I dont think that would be a use for you

but I would go Ubiqutiti ove Dlink every day of the the week

Ah OK I'm looking at it but can't see any reference to WAN interface

looks like you just use eth0 and configure it as the WAN

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204962154

on second thoughts, the Dlink looks easier to configure

nothing wrong with Dlink these days, I am just scarred by them from 20 years ago

The ubi does look like a much higher spec unit and price wise the same

Thanks for all the info ended up purchasing the ubi 10x all set up and works like a charm!