neweskimo

beware of scammers

Hi everyone

A warning to be careful of scammers and this email is also to notify admin. I posted a wanted a few months ago in the classifieds, seeking a Naim Star and recently received a private message from Rob Moller stating he had a friend that had one and to email him if I was interested. I emailed the said person and received the following email: 

Dave - Thanks for reaching out. Sorry for the delay in response as I was busy with meetings. I just got a chance to check my mail. Yes, I have a Naim Uniti Star for sale in excellent condition. Absolutely mint condition. Purchased two months ago. I have decided to stick with my Uniti Atom as I don't need the CD player and extra power. All original packaging, accessories and manuals are included. I’m selling due to lack of use. Price is $3050 shipped. I'm in Sydney and will ship via UPS. Payment will be sent to my bitcoin wallet or bank transfer. What is your complete shipping address?

Kind regards
Richard

There were immediately a few alarm bells raised at the mention of bitcoin wallets, UPS, bank transfers and shipping addresses prior to any real discussion about the sale. When I emailed back and indicated I happened to be in Sydney and could inspect - surprise, surprise, no response and deafening silence.

Be careful out there everyone.

David

have also been scammed on this site, was lucky to get my money back, others scammed by the same person were not so lucky

Posted (edited)

Yup, dodgy as, thanks for posting.

Edited by muon*

Thanks for the heads up @neweskimo

Cheers,

Alan R.

Thanks all. And a reminder for everyone to be cautious of transaction with sellers that have no posting history and to be extra diligent in those situations including using paypal.

2 hours ago, wen said:

have also been scammed on this site, was lucky to get my money back, others scammed by the same person were not so lucky

Did you use paypal? I'm curious how you got your money back and others didn't.

I’m lucky in as I have for years sold and bought stuff here,I kept most peoples addresses for further reference if neede,so when I get a newbie I am wary ,and see the feedback ect ,and never jump into a sale, or purchase,

our great community do not need these s***t heads,

people who would pick the pockets of the dead if given a chance

dunno if this forum allows it, but for assurance you can get the seller to post a reserved ad in classifieds. that way it's out in the open and people can give warnings if photos of whatever doesn't look right.  if not, getting them to post an ebay ad also isn't too demanding imo.

This was a response to an old account, and the user was already on our radar and dealt with.

Following this, additional checks were put on new user registrations and the ability to access the WTB section.

The system is not fool-proof, but we do take many steps to ensure only legitimate users are trading in the classifieds section.

folks its for good reason the buying and selling online guidelines is stickied to this sub forum - see link below,

while not trying to be a catch all, do hope with everyones input it keeps people wary whether a buyer or seller.  As always if dont think something feels quite right you are also welcome to use the report function (whether a pm or post) to bring to attention of moderating team who can investigate further. 

@PKay, used paypal, i'm sure he wanted paypal family and friends, i'd never used that so just payed with normal paypal, not sure how the other person payed

34 minutes ago, wen said:

@PKay, used paypal, i'm sure he wanted paypal family and friends, i'd never used that so just payed with normal paypal, not sure how the other person payed

Good move. 

What I don't understand is that there are still a few traders scammers active on here,one of whom, sent me speakers with holes in the mid range drivers,which could not be seen in the photographs.

That person had been very active for some time ( and still is ) so I naively trusted that the seller would deliver a pair of speakers which had functioning drivers.

I paid via bank deposit.

:angry2:

The moral of the story is that I now only pay via bank transfer to people whom I know and trust,no matter how good the deal seems and I also will only buy/sell from that same group of members.

@rantan sorry to hear that mate, that is absolutely crap. you need to tell me/us who the scumbag is so we don't get scammed too

34 minutes ago, rantan said:

What I don't understand is that there are still a few traders scammers active on here,one of whom, sent me speakers with holes in the mid range drivers,which could not be seen in the photographs.

That person had been very active for some time ( and still is ) so I naively trusted that the seller would deliver a pair of speakers which had functioning drivers.

I paid via bank deposit.

:angry2:

The moral of the story is that I now only pay via bank transfer to people whom I know and trust,no matter how good the deal seems and I also will only buy/sell from that same group of members.

23 minutes ago, jgunner said:

@rantan sorry to hear that mate, that is absolutely crap. you need to tell me/us who the scumbag is so we don't get scammed too

That's what the Feedback system is for.
You have zero recourse through EFT/Direct Deposit. You have far more chance of getting a resolution if using PP (Not Friends/Family).

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Marc said:

That's what the Feedback system is for.
You have zero recourse through EFT/Direct Deposit. You have far more chance of getting a resolution if using PP (Not Friends/Family).

Definitely . I have learned a hard lesson.

The main problem is/was that this ,member had good feedback from some other members and this gave me a false sense of security.

From this point on I will only deal with known and trusted ( to me personally ) members.

Edited by rantan

hmm i actually wouldnt be so hard on a new member selling something. we all started new once, just do the best research you can by asking questions that only an owner would know. ask for current picture with the item and proof of seller address, phone number that you can confirm and even the local paper showing date. i dont know exactly as sometimes their is always some risk unless pick up.

got scammed 4 times from dtv forum, stereonet and gumtree so no longer interested in anything from anyone i cant go and pick it up.

as for paypal as a seller i would never accept it as paypal favour B.S. buyers  over sellers.. just to easy to scam a seller.

It's really not relevant to our site but for all we know the Gumtree ad is a scam, and they've just ripped the details from a SN ad.

Else, if someone is buying on SN and flipping on GT, it's also not really our problem - if the seller got the amount they were asking should we care?

In my usual daily checks, I've just banned two accounts that were being held automatically overnight (with the checks we have in place), that were US based, pretending to be in AU, but with links back to IP address and accounts used for scamming previously. 

The point is, we're constantly on top of this and again, while not fool proof, we do a pretty good job of weeding out most scammers.

Unfortunately with people in lock down and possibly looking for ways to make money, scamming online is likely to increase now.

Do your due diligence, follows our guidelines and @betty boop's great tips, and you should be pretty safe. If in doubt, back out!

14 minutes ago, Marc said:

In my usual daily checks, I've just banned two accounts that were being held automatically overnight (with the checks we have in place), that were US based, pretending to be in AU, but with links back to IP address and accounts used for scamming previously. 

Hm, I sometimes use my proxy server in the US, to get around the dreaded geo-blocking with HDtracks, Qobuz, etc. I didn't know that this rang alarm bells in the SNA classifieds...

1 minute ago, Steffen said:

Hm, I sometimes use my proxy server in the US, to get around the dreaded geo-blocking with HDtracks, Qobuz, etc. I didn't know that this rang alarm bells in the SNA classifieds...

I'm trying to not go into too much detail in a public thread about this so as to not give workarounds any airtime, but let's just say the current standing of your account means you may get flagged, but no action taken.

No worries, I'll just make sure I'm not using the proxy when posting a classified ad. 

Posted (edited)

edit:

never mind, let's put it down to a misunderstanding

Edited by Benny G