AV Processor

Hi,

Currently using a Denon X3000 with pre-outs to a NAD M25 power amplifier. My parents-in-law are after a new system, so thinking about just giving them my Denon and upgrading mine. Originally I was planning to do this every couple of years (as now it doesn't have hdr) and keep the NAD until it dies. The Denon originally was around $1100-$1200 at the time from memory. Just not sure what to replace it with at this stage. Spotify would be a handy but can get a Chromecast if it doesn't. Ideally trying to keep it well under $2000.

Looked at the Emotiva MC700 and looked fairly ideal but then people said there's lots of HDMI handshake type problems and other bugs that can even require it to be unplugged, so turned me off it.  There's the Marantz 5014, Yamaha rxv1080 (going cheaper at the moment probably due to be a 2017 model), Denon 3600h, NAD T758 v3 and I assume others.

Thank you for any assistance.

@3dl3 if solely for movies/tv and not wanting atmos considering you have an amp I would look at a Pre/Pro used from here. 

Yep a Chromecast will add all the connectivity that the older models don't have built in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3dl3 said:

Hi,

Currently using a Denon X3000 with pre-outs to a NAD M25 power amplifier. My parents-in-law are after a new system, so thinking about just giving them my Denon and upgrading mine. Originally I was planning to do this every couple of years (as now it doesn't have hdr) and keep the NAD until it dies. The Denon originally was around $1100-$1200 at the time from memory. Just not sure what to replace it with at this stage. Spotify would be a handy but can get a Chromecast if it doesn't. Ideally trying to keep it well under $2000.

If your player has dual HDMI ouputs.........ie...."MAIN" and "AUDIO only" there is NO need to feed ANY video through an AVR or Pre/Pro.

Just send video DIRECT to your Display and the AVR or Pre/Pro's "HDR" capabilities become irrelevant.  

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

yeh the though of upgrading my gear just for HDR seems like a crazy concept but thats just me.

If you are keen to keep up with feature trends, just do exactly what you've done so far and buy cheapish AVRs based on specs and features with pre-outs.

Older Processors may sound better but wont have the features you want anyway.

Thank you for the responses.

It is a dual setup of stereo and surround sound content.

It wasn't something I was planning to do right at this moment but time makes sense to pass it on to family so they don't need to buy. Actually HDR is handy for my PS4 as the game picture is drastically different on my oled tv. If I bypass and go straight to the TV the sound isn't as good. If i go via the AVR, the picture isn't as good. So now I have two HDMI cables and switch it depending on what suits the content.

Any preference on brands/models for these low-mid tier AVR's?

It does but toslink is limited. 

The main idea here is that I end up giving away a known working unit as a good son in law.  If it was just floating the idea of an update for the sake of it, the replies would be greatly suitable/appreciated but I must end of up with two units.

1 hour ago, 3dl3 said:

It is a dual setup of stereo and surround sound content.

It wasn't something I was planning to do right at this moment but time makes sense to pass it on to family so they don't need to buy. Actually HDR is handy for my PS4 as the game picture is drastically different on my oled tv. If I bypass and go straight to the TV the sound isn't as good. If i go via the AVR, the picture isn't as good. So now I have two HDMI cables and switch it depending on what suits the content.

Any preference on brands/models for these low-mid tier AVR's?

When you say dual setup, I assume you mean you play both stereo and surround sound content, 50% of each?  How serious are you with music ie do you listen critically or casual?  

The AVR brands known to be better for music are Arcam (likely outside budget), NAD and Anthem.  The NAD T758V3 and Anthem MRX-510 (5 channels only) can sneak into your budget when on sale.  Plus they have room correction software which makes a significant difference to music and definitely improves movies.

Otherwise, get the cheapest AVR with pre-outs which do HDR.  Cheap AVRs compromise on power the most, but you do not have to worry about that.

You've named the usual suspects at your budget apart from Pioneer and Onkyo.

If room eq and 2ch sound is important maybe push towards the NAD with Dirac. But Marantz and Denon use Audyssey which is also meant to be good for surround anyway.

You are coming from a Denon and haven't said you want an improvement of sound quality so can only assume you like the Denon so maybe stick with that.

Take the opportunity to upgrade with full blessing from the minister of finance I say!

Hi,

Just thought I would provide an update.

I ended up purchasing old stock but new Marantz AV7702 MKII.  Its only HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 but has Dolby Vision/HDR so it's got the things I need for now.  Really wanted to see what the difference would be in sound quality of having a dedicated unit and was about the price of a newer AV receiver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3dl3 said:

Really wanted to see what the difference would be in sound quality of having a dedicated unit and was about the price of a newer AV receiver.

So how are you finding any differences? 

4 hours ago, 3dl3 said:

Hi,

I ended up purchasing old stock but new Marantz AV7702 MKII.  Its only HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 but has Dolby Vision/HDR so it's got the things I need for now.  Really wanted to see what the difference would be in sound quality of having a dedicated unit and was about the price of a newer AV receiver.

this will do ALL you want to do...and without jigging around with other devices and such. will be quite pleased am sure. make sure utilise the audyssey setup and eq as will add some good benefit 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 4:34 PM, 3dl3 said:

Hi,

Does this do Atmos as well?

26 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Does this do Atmos as well?

yep ... as a post 2016 model sure does...

https://www.qualifi.com.au/media_content/media/Marantz AV7702 MkII AV Pre-amplifier.pdf

absolutely no need to buy latest and greatest and pay price premium .... 

On 29/03/2020 at 4:34 PM, 3dl3 said:

Hi,

Where did you buy it? How much was it? I have been wondering about one of those but the prices that I've seen seem really high.

21 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Where did you buy it? How much was it? I have been wondering about one of those but the prices that I've seen seem really high.

see below later model 7703 going $1700 so can’t imagine 7702mk2 going for much more. This isn’t price I’d consider “really high” for marantz processor. More down right bargain ...

Of course if buying new will pay heck more, but who will be selling 7702mk2 new ?

So what does the newer Marantz models have over the 7702mk2 (Alexa compatibility)?

I would be a little concerned getting a used model processor from 2016, I just don't have faith in the reliability of modern electronics compared to power amps etc.

Edited by Mr_Gadget

45 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

So what does the newer Marantz models have over the 7702mk2 (Alexa compatibility)?

I would be a little concerned getting a used model processor from 2016, I just don't have faith in the reliability of modern electronics compared to power amps etc.

thats totally upto you, buy and pay for confidence need. buying new will always have a premium that goes with it. yeah things like alexa, heos ? none of these are really necessary ...can buy media streamers to add. I use apple tv 4k which beats anything built into anything. if go right up av8805 has promise of hdmi 2.1 which is really on benefit of gaming with variable refresh rate, hdmi arc e which lets face it arc was always a flaky thing, i wouldnt expect newer arc to be much better and none of this is needed for current spec stuff and there is no guarantees anything in future will utilise. 

there is a HUGE saving possible on older units, I dont need latest and greatest, you are probably yourself using an older unit now. my processor is from 2015 that marantz gave update in 2016 that took to level to do all want for now and future.... my last denon i kept 8-10 years and still going in new owners hands. my current marantz now 5 years see no reason cant go 8-10 years as well. 

Yeah I don't care for those features as long as it has Dolby Vision and Atmos then it's a worthy upgrade to my Denon 4311. 

It's just the lack of warranty on older units that makes me pause despite the significant savings.

I'm also considering PS5 next year to enjoy some gaming again so not sure how important HDMI 2.1 is or if it's really that necessary.

On 31/03/2020 at 12:03 AM, gwurb said:

Ebay - Hifi Clearance (Qualifi). Ended up getting it for 1700 with full warranty. Which I thought was alright even considering it's age even if it is new ($3800 retail I think).  It has been an improvement over my Denon AVR-X3000. Wife noticed it as well.

The Audyssey is an improvement as the x3000 only had XT and I was never a huge fan of it. With the Marantz, it appears to making really good adjustments without taking away my speakers tonal features. I'm noticing voices in movies are generally very easy to hear and don't have to play around with the volume through different scenes, leaving me to just enjoy the movie.

No regrets so far as I don't think getting a newer Denon AVR would have provided the same level of performance for the same price (actually it's a bit more expensive for the 3600H at the moment). Would make the same decision again.

Edited by 3dl3
typos

2 hours ago, 3dl3 said:

Ebay - Hifi Clearance (Qualifi). Ended up getting it for 1700 with full warranty. Which I thought was alright even considering it's age even if it is new ($3800 retail I think).  It has been an improvement over my Denon AVR-X3000. Wife noticed it as well.

Didn't know they had a eBay store. Good to know. Is that their eBay store name (Hifi Clearance)?

Edited by bizzibee

8 minutes ago, bizzibee said:

Didn't know they had a eBay store. Good to know. Is that their eBay store name (Hifi Clearance)?

I am struggling to find them on ebay. I am curious what other stock they have.

1 minute ago, bizzibee said:

Store:

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/hificlearance?ul_noapp=true

Well, I looked up the store location and it was the same suburb as Qualifi. Then the paypal transaction said Qualifi, so I don't think its a secret. Not sure if it operates as Qualifi or separately. Might be not to annoy their retailers for selling directly but its hard when it comes down to items like this.

• Like 1