Sign in to follow this  
saad

Advice for an AV processor and other suggestions

Hi Guys

So this relates more to 2 channel, but its to do with AV processors so i though id post here.

My current setup consists of the following:

248057191_currenthifi.png.101eb5572dc314706f59fa52e5bf33dc.png

The 6010 is basically redundant as its just acting as a HDMI decoder for netflix and the like from the TV. In my current house, I'm unlikely to add rear speakers, and I've found a centre channel redundant. In my old place I had a 5.1 setup, but in the past two years I have not missed the the rear and centre speakers, probably because since having twin babies, we no longer have the time to sit down and watch movies properly! 

I do like the idea of keeping the subwoofer for bottom end impact when I do watch movies, the sub I currently have is a 12" Klipsch, which was great for movies, but as I've gotten more into hifi, it doesn't do it for me, and doesn't mesh well with my speakers. From my experience in car audio, I've found I've always much preferred the smoother sound of a sealed subwoofer, rather than the exaggerated sound of a ported enclosure.

I also want a sealed subwoofer for size, since we need more floor space.

I was thinking of getting a decent standalone processor/preamp, along with a new subwoofer:

1321247138_futurehifi.thumb.png.59f8eef1d3a82e216cd678baba855936.png

The idea here is that the subwoofer would help play the lowest frequencies in 2 channel mode, via the speaker level inputs, and play the .1 channel when watching TV and films.

Ideally I'd like a DAC with a HDMI input, however it seems that DACs that have that basically just take the 2 channel track that's embedded in media.

A proper processor can get the 5 or 7 channel track, and mix it down to 2 channels, and allow me to adjust parameters such as dialogue volume, and subwoofer volume etc.

Rather than a DAC with HDMI, I could just use optical out from the TV, like the following, but as I understand, optical can only carry 2 channel PCM, or encoded Doly Digital/DTS 5.1 - I'm not sure if this would work properly with Netflix:

487931227_hifioption2.thumb.png.982924fe4baedb328137282fe48235bd.png

In this setup there would be no  0.1 channel, but I'm not sure if that would matter, assuming the 0.1 data is mixed into the 2 channel track?

Hopefully this makes sense so looking for advice about the following:

- recommended AV processor, something slim is idea, I dont need any inputs other than HDMI for the TV, and maybe for the xbox.

- Which of the above setups would be best

- Is there a DAC available that will do what I need?

- Would I just be fine using optical from the TV?

Thanks

Saad

Wow!  An excellent writeup of your situation and you have obviously done some thinking. 👍👏 

While not exactly the same, have a look at this thread which may give you hints.  Here are somethings to consider:

• For AV prepro, have a look at Emotiva MC-700 which is cheaper than the Anthem AVM-60, Marantz AV8801 etc.
  • Are you open to replacing the PM8005 with an integrated amp with sub outputs?
  • Have you thought about using a high end BD player, with a seperate and good DAC section, like the Panansonic UB9000 or Pioneer ones?

13 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Wow!  An excellent writeup of your situation and you have obviously done some thinking. 👍👏 

While not exactly the same, have a look at this thread which may give you hints.  Here are somethings to consider:

• For AV prepro, have a look at Emotiva MC-700 which is cheaper than the Anthem AVM-60, Marantz AV8801 etc.
  • Are you open to replacing the PM8005 with an integrated amp with sub outputs?
  • Have you thought about using a high end BD player, with a seperate and good DAC section, like the Panansonic UB9000 or Pioneer ones?

Thanks!

I will be upgrading speakers soon, and then eventually the amp, so yes down the line I will be, however I'm looking at something from Mcintosh to upgrade to eventually, so will be a while before I save up! However the PM8005 does have pre-outs which I can use to connect a subwoofer.

I havent thought about using a BD player mainly because Ive never owned one and when I have watched blurays, its been via a games console. However its been over two years since i've done that, all our video content consumption is via streaming.

Just looked up the Emotiva, they are ridiculously cheap! A refurbed one is only around $800 or so. Sure it doesn't have balanced outputs, but seems perfect for what I need.

1 hour ago, saad said:

Thanks!

I will be upgrading speakers soon, and then eventually the amp, so yes down the line I will be, however I'm looking at something from Mcintosh to upgrade to eventually, so will be a while before I save up! However the PM8005 does have pre-outs which I can use to connect a subwoofer.

I havent thought about using a BD player mainly because Ive never owned one and when I have watched blurays, its been via a games console. However its been over two years since i've done that, all our video content consumption is via streaming.

obviously some budget ! with mcointosh and clearly upgrading speakers as well...

in which case... I would suggest hold off doing anything with regards AVRS or processor.

if you are using a telly ... you can use that as a hub for hdmi....

digital analog out will be 2ch and feed that to a dac. dac feed to integrated...which if upgrading speakers no doubt be upgrading in anycase.

I have run pure analog 2.0 actually 2.0 with a sub...clearly not 2,1 as there is no LFE feed.

one option to consider if mixing hdmi and analog and digital sources... look to some super integrated both arcam and nad have them in their master series..... both have hdmi.... so will benefit without the complication of what the telly does for digital audio to down res from mch hd audio in some cases to 2.0 (but what)....

eg SR250 - sadly discontinued but might find one around traps...

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,Stereo-AV-Receiver,sr250.htm

nad m32 that will take a hdmi card... this has sub capability

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m32-directdigital-amplifier/

if planning to move to pre pwr setup there are also things like the 

nad pre pre streaming dac.....

basically a preamp and dac in one and it has a mdc card slots to take nads hdmi inputs card... there are also master series component thats a step up from this.

my thoughts are given not really going multichannel in setup there is really no need for a multichannel processor....

2 hours ago, saad said:

The Cat beat me to it.  I was thinking whether you want to replace it with something that does room correction. The C658 particularly does sub integration well.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, betty boop said:

obviously some budget ! with mcointosh and clearly upgrading speakers as well...

Hahah well thats the dream, get the speakers first, then upgrade the amp in a year or two! 

If just running optical out from the TV, and since theres no multi channel, do you think the lack of a 0.1 channel will make much difference?

I was actually looking at the C658, as something to get down the line. With this, I would feed a power amp, and use the DSP in the c658 along with its subwoofer control? And then run HDMI from the TV to the C658? This would basically mean I wont need my DAC or Mac Mini for streaming anymore, and Im assuming the DAC would be similar or better quality to something like the NAD M51?

Im currently using an Oppo HA1, wasn't planning to upgrade that anytime soon, but the RME ADI 2 DAC gets rave reviews and was an option, but looks like the NAD might be the better solution long term

Edited by saad

Just now, saad said:

Hahah well thats the dream, get the speakers first, then upgrade the amp in a year or two! 

no harm in dreams... actually thats the smart approach...have a plan in mind and slowly work to it...makes sure dont buy something and then it doesnt really match clashes with the dream thing had in mind. find a good retailer and will help you work through with long term goal / plan in mind :)

1 minute ago, saad said:

If just running optical out from the TV, and since theres no multi channel, do you think the lack of a 0.1 channel will make much difference?

will be totally fine.... likely find single is 2.0 in anycase. most are this way.... jsut check your manual for the telly in question. it doesn't mean you have lost the 0.1 the 2.0 signal jsut incorporates all the bass jsut like in regular music that is 2.0

2 minutes ago, saad said:

I was actually looking at the C658, as something to get down the line. With this, I would feed a power amp, and use the DSP in the c658 along with its subwoofer control? And then run HDMI from the TV to the C658? This would basically mean I wont need my DAC or Mac Mini for streaming anymore, and Im assuming the DAC would be similar or better quality to something like the NAD M51?

its a great option and does seem to have everything. with the hdmi slots on it, yes could run things with hdmi check here with folk in that owners thread what hdmi capabilities are and also check on your telly with hdmi connectivity . am sure the dac is better than the m51 :)  

Great reading up on the C658 now, the only issue is around whether or not it can act as a Roon endpoint or not, a lot of the other NAD stuff can, but the C658 isn't listed on the Roon site. Hopefully just a software update

2 minutes ago, saad said:

Great reading up on the C658 now, the only issue is around whether or not it can act as a Roon endpoint or not, a lot of the other NAD stuff can, but the C658 isn't listed on the Roon site. Hopefully just a software update

check in with owners in the thread here... seems a few here with hands on knowledge....can tell you straight up...