Eagleeyes

HELP AND ADVICE on new turntable high end

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow members I am asking for some help as

First of all I know I am very lucky to have this choice and very torn between 3 new turntables that I have my eye on that are all used but all about the same price for Deck and arm and I want as my last ever end deck. I have had Vpis , Lp12, Mober lp12's Rega Rp9, Rega Rp10. Gyrodek and others that I have enjoyed but I want to buy a deck that I will decide on as my final turntable purchase. A semi to fullreference deck so to speak .

My choices are

1) EAT forte- huge high mass turntable with- twice the size of 2 regas with wand uni pivot arm

2) Kuzma Stabi Reference 11 with Stogi arm

3) Vertere MG with SG arm

Any thoughts let me know.

cheers Adam

Edited by Eagleeyes

Posted (edited)

I would also consider a VPI-HRX with 3D arm.

@Krispy Audio is your contact.

n.b. If your budget allows get the rim drive and super platter if they still make it.

Edited by Yamaha_man

5 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

I never consider VPI  

33 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

n.b. If your budget allows get the rim drive and super platter if they still make it.

Hi mate I had one not an hrx but a  tnt hr 5 so almost identical just external extra power spindle or motor to go with my record cleaning machine 😁 thats still missing somewhere in OZ. I had the rim and the Sds too with my Clearaudio concerto wood cart. Which I snapped the cantilever off so all in all that has left me with a bad taste for another tnt. It was a great deck just a bit large for my rack because of the external motor and spindle.

I have heard @rossbKuzma Ref and it is a stunning deck. Great sound and engineering. @hugo_wilcomight be able to give you some input. 

1 hour ago, Eagleeyes said:

1) EAT forte- huge high mass turntable with- twice the size of 2 regas with wand uni pivot arm

2) Kuzma Stabi Reference 11 with Stogi arm

3) Vertere MG with SG arm

The Kuzma would be my pick. The EAT is prettier, but my next deck will be a Stabi R (in a custom colour!) so I’m a little biased mate!

Go with the Kuzma.

Mine blows my LP12 (modded) out of the water.

Huge upgrade path in the way of tonearms, rim platter and heavier platter available.

14 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Go with the Kuzma.

Mine blows my LP12 (modded) out of the water.

Huge upgrade path in the way of tonearms, rim platter and heavier platter available.

Must be a battle ship.

What's your LP 12 doing in water in the first place.

I compared an LP 12 with a Goldmund over 30 years ago. 

Both sounded great. 

I hate to disappoint any of you but nothing will "blow an LP 12 out of the water" 

1 minute ago, Colin Rutter said:

I hate to disappoint any of you but nothing will "blow an LP 12 out of the water" 

Them's fightin words, Colin!  :lol:

As you're in Melbourne, you might like to come and listen to my 'SkeletaLinn' - which does not have 2 components which are known to cause sound differences on an LP12, when mounted.  The plinth and the top-plate.

(By which I take to mean all of the different versions of these components degrade the sound to a greater or lesser extent - so if they're not used ... there must be no degradation.  :lol: )

Andy

Perhaps, before this thread gets derailed, anyone posting can actually choose from the list to help Adam rather than play a game of “my dog is blacker than yours?”

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Them's fightin words, Colin!  :lol:

As you're in Melbourne, you might like to come and listen to my 'SkeletaLinn' - which does not have 2 components which are known to cause sound differences on an LP12, when mounted.  The plinth and the top-plate.

(By which I take to mean all of the different versions of these components degrade the sound to a greater or lesser extent - so if they're not used ... there must be no degradation.  :lol: )

Andy

"which are known"?

By whom?

I just expressed my opinion I don't care if you don't agree with it. 

5 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Perhaps, before this thread gets derailed, anyone posting can actually choose from the list to help Adam rather than play a game of “my dog is blacker than yours?”

I am trying to help the poster not waste money.

Nothing else. 

in the original post ,he has stated that he has ready had an LP12 and moved on, like many of us

I already have a full mober lp12 which runs a dc motor, metal plinth, Ekos and cadenza black , the mober is not a lp12 with mober updates its actually a full mober made lp12 , so mober dc motor, power supply, mober plinth, mober trampolin and top plate, upgraded mober bearing and mober inner and outer platters and anything else I missed so its a very rare deck and sounds great - just looking at final options before I just stick to one deck and sit back and enjoy the music. 

6 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Haven't heard of “my dog is blacker than yours”, H.  :lol:  But I have heard of:

• my d*ck's bigger than yours, or
  • I can p*ss further than you.  :lol:

But I'll try to do what you ask.  Not having heard any of those 3 TTs, I would say:

• #1 ... the Wand lets it down.
  • #2 ... Stogi 4-point is a wonderful arm - but you need the next one up from the Stabi.
  • #3 ... cannot comment.

8 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

"which are known"?

By whom?

By many Linn owners, Colin.  Plinths made from different woods all make an LP12 sound different.  Likewise top-plates - like the Khan and others.

Andy

The only one on your list I have heard is the Kuzma Stabi Ref, so I can't comment on the others, but it is by far the best turntable I have owned.

Amongst the turntables I have owned are Rega RP8 and RP10,  full spec Linn LP12 with Ekos SE, Radikal, Keel etc, Michell Orbe/SME IV, Nottingham Spacedeck and AMG Viella. The Kuzma Stabi Ref is better than all of these. And, yes, it did blow my $20k LP12 out of the water, and for a considerable distance.

Linn....pfft......another myth like global warming.

Buy a Kuzma or a vintage Japanese DD TT

@rossb honest question here, and hopefully of use to the OP. How much of an upgrade with the Kuzma would you attribute to the deck, and how much to the arm/cart. I realise this may not an easy question to answer, but your impressions may be helpful.

Everything makes a difference. But the usual hierarchy applies, turntable first, then arm, then cartridge. But quantifying the difference is impossible.

Hi All,

As an EAT owner, I would say they are an excellent TT, well built and in my current setup it sounds great. There was an EAT Forte TT with a 12" Wand arm for sale for $9000 in the Commercial area about 2 months ago.

Whatever you are after I would think about buying soonish, before the Ozzie dollar falls further, as it as fallen nearly 20% of its buying power in the last 2 weeks.

JJ

2 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

As an EAT owner, I would say they are an excellent TT, well built and in my current setup it sounds great. There was an EAT Forte TT with a 12" Wand arm for sale for $9000 in the Commercial area about 2 months ago.

Whatever you are after I would think about buying soonish, before the Ozzie dollar falls further, as it as fallen nearly 20% of its buying power in the last 2 weeks.

JJ

Thanks JJ, I was always trying to work out what your deck was it kind of looks like an older Denon but brand new.

Thats the one I have been looking at only concerned about its huge size. Though the Kuzma keeps coming back as the logical ( read brain )choice. EAT has my heart as its a stunning 60 odd kilo beast. Hard to tell when I cannot listen to either and even if I could its not going to be like it will at home. 

11 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

Thanks JJ, I was always trying to work out what your deck was it kind of looks like an older Denon but brand new.

Thats the one I have been looking at only concerned about its huge size. Though the Kuzma keeps coming back as the logical ( read brain )choice. EAT has my heart as its a stunning 60 odd kilo beast. Hard to tell when I cannot listen to either and even if I could its not going to be like it will at home. 

Is there someone in Perth that has the Kuzma?  I would think that Warwick could put you in touch with an owner.

45 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

Well, if its heavy you are looking for, why stop at the Kuzma Stabi Ref II? Go the whole hog, Kuzma Stabi M. 60kg, 12kg platter, can fit a 12 inch tonearm under the lid....

Kuzma Stabi M High End Turntable Record Player with Kuzma 4 Point Tonearm

Or if you really want to go all out, the Kuzma Stabi XL, 80kg of analogue goodness with a 22kg platter

kuzma-turntables-stabi-xl-dc.jpg

As for all things Kuzma, speak to Warwick or Rom at Sonic Purity

Disclaimer - I do like my Kuzma 🙂

Posted (edited)

Are you after suspended or solid? Acoustic Signature make some great solid decks, it's just up to you how much you want to spend. Hearing and seeing them here in Australia may be difficult, but their prices aren't rediculous when compared to some of the models you're already considering. 

Edited by t_mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)