Right/best glue for rubber surrounds

As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently experimenting with 4 pairs of stacked Wharfedale E50's just for the fun of it.

I got it all connected up last night and was disappointed as the sound lacked the impact I recall from previous similar iterations in years gone by.:(

IMG_1498.thumb.JPG.9424464ded450100c441d5610d5b53ca.JPG

Further investigation showed that the rubber surrounds of several woofers had come adrift from the metal baskets part way round the circumference.

IMG_1499.thumb.JPG.2fc27e4fc389e47c9ecb833687121760.JPG

As this is a "just for the hell of it" caper, I'm looking for a quick and easy fix that gets things functioning again ASAP.  I think it will be relatively easy to squirt some glue into the gaps and seal them down.   So, I'm searching for practical advice on the best glue to use for this purpose.  Ideally, it should be quick-drying, flexible with gap-filling properties  (ie  some tendacy to flow and not leave gaps in the seal) and readily available locally.  The contact cements that rely on letting dry to a tacky stage before bringing the bits together might be more difficult in this situation as some of the glue is still intact and the parts can't be kept seperate while the solvent dries.  I'm wondering if this matters?

I can theorize on what might work out of the myriad of products on the shelves of Bunnings et al.  However, I'd be very grateful for advice borne of experience from those who have "been there-done that."

• Like 2

HI Tony, years ago I used common old PVA ? woodwork glue to fix a split rubber surround on a speaker and 12 years on it still works fine. This is a little different as you want rubber to metal connection? - might still hold

Good Luck

• Like 1

Grumpy is spot on, I purchased a surround replacement kit, it came with a tube of PVA glue.

If that doesn't work be very careful not to use a glue that will eat away the rubber surrounds.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 2

The rubber surrounds on some models of the Wharfedale speakers can become hard with age and some can have a greasy film on the surface. If yours are  in good condition then you should remove any  loose old  adhesive on  the areas you wish to bond  and wipe the surfaces clean  with ''Shellite".  A very good water based contact adhesive is available from Selleys, namely  Kwikgrip.  You could also use   latex  rubber contact adhesives  also supplied by Selleys  and many other brands such as KS Bond.  Woodworking PVA glue which can set hard is not a good choice as  the bond should be flexible.

Edited by VanArn
Additions.
  • Like 1

Sika 252 in black from Bunnings. You can get it in various size tubes.

Sticks like crazy and once cured gives a seal with a small amount of flex.

I've used it previously when replacing driver surrounds and it gave perfect results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanArn said:

Woodworking PVA glue which can set hard is not a good choice as  the bond should be flexible.

Actually the parts of the surround that glue to the cone and the basket, do not flex.  Surrounds are often supplied with glue, and my foam surrounds came with PVA same as Batty said.

If you want flexible, there's a clear contact glue sold in hardware stores for fixing shoes.  It's a very nice glue to use that is flexible.

• Like 1

The usual adhesive supplied with replacement speaker foam surrounds from Australian companies such as QSR is Bostik EVA, which is a modified PVA. The Selleys water based KwikGrip provides a stronger bond   for  rubber surrounds.

• Like 1

I've used Aleene's Tacky Glue with all manner of foam and rubber surround replacements with great success. No dramas adhering either type of surround to metal and alloy speaker frames, and paper/poly/carbon fibre cones. The stuff is legendary in US vintage audio circles.

https://www.craftonline.com.au/products/aleenes-aleenes-original-tacky-glue?istCompanyId=6239f585-e517-4055-88c7-7d5a95ff678b&istFeedId=90b82938-72d6-4f31-931a-d3d5864f55a9&istItemId=iwrmpallx&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6sHzBRCbARIsAF8FMpW-UlLI2UrlgCoNJJjBujy4OymaPtPSOayzuegmgsUp0rwjH15ddBwaAqTbEALw_wcB

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VanArn said:

The usual adhesive supplied with replacement speaker foam surrounds from Australian companies such as QSR is Bostik EVA, which is a modified PVA. The Selleys water based KwikGrip provides a stronger bond   for  rubber surrounds.

Thanks, I learnt something today.

Only on SNA. Tony takes 4 pairs of Warfedales,  stacks them into the tower of power 2 meters high with custom stands.  Hooks them up to 4 identical stereo amplifiers, a mile of wiring and everyone only has advise on the most suitable glue!  Mad basta#d!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and info, Guys.

In the end I went for Selley's water-based KwikGrip.  It gives a good, flexible bond and dries clear.  I found it relatively easy to use and it allowed for a combination of the contact style bond and wet bond, which I needed as parts of the surrounds were still attached and I wanted to avoid seperating them completely to (hopefully) avoid voicecoil alignment issues.

White colour that dries clear and water clean-up is nice as I tend to be messy with stuff like this. 

Full strength is 24 hours so I'll find out tonight if it all went as well as it appears to have.

• Like 2